+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Survival rotation info

Survival rotation info

I found a link one day to a guide for Prot Pallies and wondered if this place had one for Survival Hunters. I wanna know if the rotation I use is giving me the bang I should have. I know that this is also dependent on the gear I have too, so I will probably get the punch that my current gear can give me and then as it gets even better get better too. I merely follow the rotation I was taught, so I'm not gunna put it up cuz I know the buttons now more than anything else and it would take too much time to write out all I do. On top of it all I'd love to know if there is a really good pet I can get to give a boost too, but mostly I am more concerned with rotation more than anything else.

http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.php?80046-Tanking-with-the-Blessing-of-Kings-The-TankSpot-Guide-to-the-Protection-Paladin

That is the guide I was talking about and I wondered if there is a SV Hunter one, this would give me a big help.

Tankspot does not presently have an up to date Survival Hunter guide.

Rotation is dependant on talent choices howerve it boild down to making sure you always have enough focus to keep using you focus shots without delaying them whislt at the same time not capping pout on focus the basic priority of ability usage is

1) level 75 talent
    2) use LnL procs
    3) level 90 talent
    4) put sepent sting up if not currently up
    5) Explosive shot
    6) Kill shot
    7) black Arrow
    9) Thrill of the hunt Procs
    10) Dire Beast
    11) Stampede*
    12) Cobra shot to refresh serpent sting
    13) Arcane shot to stop focus capping
    14) Cobra shot

*whilst using stampede on CD is certainly a DPS increase, if it spins the boss or prevents the tank moving the boss out the fire it can seriously be detrimental to your melee DPS's lives and DPS, this never needs to happen, if you make sure all your the pets you currently carry don't have growl set to autocast. This does require a bit of micro management but it can be simplified by using this macro;

#showtooltip Dismiss pet
    /petautocastoff Growl
    /cast Dismiss Pet

you should already have Growl keybound anyway in case of tank death.

All pets do the same damage, irrespective of species however there are 2 caveats to that;
    1) the pet must be specced ferocity
    2) The pet Brings an otherwise absent buff/debuff.

The first caveat is fairly straight forward, Ferocity has the Rabid skill and the Spiked Collar Passive both of these are direct DPS boosts, Tenacity's lacks an equivalent passive increase to DPS and whilst Thunderstomp is an AoE you will need at least 6+ mobs for it do be a DPS increase over using the pets basic single target attack, Cunning also lacks the DPS increasing skills, unless you count Cornered and can keep your pet below 35% for the large enough portions of the fight. Ferocity, just spec it, takes 3 clicks.

The second caveat requires a little more thought. Every species of pet has a unique ability, this can be anything from snares to Bloodlust to percentage damage reuctions. Some affect your DPS, some don't. you want to use a pet that brings a buff or debuff your group doesn't have, so say you don't have anyone bringing sunder armour in you group (warriors, rogues, or druids) you would want to bring a raptor since that pet brings Sunder armour, or say you have no pallies or shaman so you don't have the mastery buff, you'd bring a cat to make up for it. This means you will have to be aware of your group comprehension and if any of your group are slacking in putting up their buffs/debuffs and if multiple buffs/debuffs are missing which one you should prioritise for your group.
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

Wells, I have the various raid buff use pets and I always ask my raidleader to let me know what to bring as he/she knows best because he/she is forming the party. However I use the mana worm pet from Coldera for the haste and I do switch pets in battle in a pinch if I feel a need. I do believe I have the talents, but if not thats an easy change, iron hawk I am positive about that I use for raiding. I'm a bit confused on the 'LnL' thing you mentioned? I'll probably feel dumb when you tell me, but it'll be good to know lol. I'll screenshot my bar, maybe that will help? I use hardly any addons and I have found I need few Macros too, but none of my raid pets ever have growl and I use a turtle as my solo pet for dailies and prof stuff.

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa475/KellianDark/WoWScrnShot_032813_025240_zpse3432e07.jpg

(Edit: I figured out the LnL Lock and load lol, I feel dumb.)

the thing is that if your turtle has growl on and is on you , all your pets will chain growl which can cuase problems. So either you have to drop the turtle off at stable each time you join a group, or not use stampede, or turn the turtle's growl off. For me, a macro to turn growl off is a very easy way to manage it, there is also an addon called Badpet that will manage it for you if you have a databroker addon as well. I see you use ElvUI which is probably why you don't need many additional addons, Elv provides the functionality of most of the commonly used addons. The thing is to use whatever addons or macros you feel help you.
    MoP RPS Calculator

I never carry my solo pet with me, I usually prepare for a raid about like an hour ahead just so I have time to run around like a chicken with its head cut off making sure I have everything lol. I love ElvUI, I tried others like it in the past, but that UI has a ton of things that make my life much easier. As for other addons and macro's I pretty much use commonsense on those. I have a macro that lets me tap all my cooldowns at once and then a misdirect one, the cd one is one that I got after hitting 90 and the missd one I have used for ages lol. Once I know this new rotation I can probably be better off... I don't suppose you can tell me what to place where on my bar and the sequence? I'll write it down and try and kill a practice dummy till I am sure I am ready.

Just as long as most of it is on your bar and keyboud comfortably, you should be fine.where it goes is up to personal preference.
    MoP RPS Calculator

Well my rotation is a mirror image of the one who taught me, so I can adjust it in a way I like later on once I know this new rotation. So, by my copying yours I can then dicker with it at my leisure when I am more comfortable with it. MoP really made things interesting for me with these new abilities, so any improvements I can make will greatly help me.

+ Reply to Thread