+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Returning to WoW, looking for advice

Returning to WoW, looking for advice

So recently I've been thinking of returning to WoW. I quit shortly after patch deathwing died. I was just starting a new job, and my case decided to cause a short grounding my mother board

But now I'm settled into my job. And when I just started to consider it, MoP goes on sale.

So anything I should know? Like routes to level? Factions to grind? I'm a mage if that helps.
    [Today 06:48 PM] Ion:swimming in a natural body of water ISN'T acceptable...it's momentarily tolerable

My advice = Don't Return.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity View Post
    My advice = Don't Return.
    Have you even played since the first tier of cata? Just looking for a unbiased opinion.
    [Today 06:48 PM] Ion:swimming in a natural body of water ISN'T acceptable...it's momentarily tolerable

TL;DR
    Catching up may have more to do with luck than work. If you don't have the luck, it will take a LOT of work.

Playing catch up may be more painful than you remember.

You won't be able to get into lfr until you can get to 460 item level. That only gets you Mogu'Shan Vaults lfr.

470 gets you into the 5.1 lfr's.

Heroics drop 463 item level. Depending on your luck, it can take two days to get mostly 463 or it can take weeks. My mage shows 31 pandaria final dungeon bosses defeated and is still stuck at 458 item level. I've had HORRIBLE loot luck on all my toons in MoP, however. This is an alt, so it's not like I"m grinding dungeons on him every day. He has 9 pieces of 463 in 31 dungeons, so I guess he's averaging a drop about every third dungeon.

The catch here is that you won't build up justice points very fast and they won't get you really anything to help. You can do a ton of dailies for valor and try to get VP stuff to help...but you'll have to have the rep to buy that stuff. Basically, if you are lucky enough to get to 460 relatively quickly from heroics, and then lucky enough to get the drops you need in MSV, then lucky enough to get the drops from the 5.1 lfr's, it can go quickly. Otherwise, you may be stuck grinding rep to have a way to spend your VP. You could also find yourself stuck if the drops you need won't happen in lfr because that has a weekly lock.

As to the actual play, I've enjoyed the raids (before my guild fell apart). I just don't like the way a lot of the changes have made it next to impossible to keep up with alts, the massive requirement of dailies and the overall trend of making everyone play by themselves because they always have something they need to be working on instead of running stuff together.
    "he doens't need healing, he doesn't need healing, he doesn't nee-WHAOSHIT!wtf was that man!". Please stop leaning on TDR. -Teng

So for rep grinding can you still get tabards? Or is it all BC daily quest bs?

Because I figured do quests while leveling, get tabard, grind 5mans w/ tabard once lvl 90, get into heroics, GGGGRRRRRIIIINNNNNND heroics.

Edit 1: So what is the Ilvl division look like?

5.0 5mans?
    5.0 5man heroics

Are there 5.1 5mans to help bridge the gap?

No Tabards, all TBC grinding bs. At least you get elder charms for a chance at extra loot from bosses for doing the quests as well.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    No Tabards, all TBC grinding bs. At least you get elder charms for a chance at extra loot from bosses for doing the quests as well.
    So I'm looking at about a month once I hit 90 before I can even consider serious raiding.

Quote Originally Posted by leethaxor View Post
    So I'm looking at about a month once I hit 90 before I can even consider serious raiding.
    I know people that have gotten geared enough to do LFR the same day they hit 90, and I guess it depends on your definition of "serious raiding". If you want like a top tier high end guild, ya probably about a month+ of prep work is a good idea. But if you do all of the LFR fights once and you know how to write a good application, I bet you can find a decent guild in a week or 2. Could probably start doing some normal mode PuGs at least.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Depends on how much cash you have to hand. You'll be able to buy VP rings for 300 VP, rep gains will be faster, 496 craftables will be cheaper in a couple of weeks time. My druid was in LFR within 6-7 hours of hitting 90, and in HoF LFR the next week. Hit 89 before next saturday and you get a level 480 necklace from the Love in the Air boss.

But if you do all of the LFR fights once and you know how to write a good application, I bet you can find a decent guild in a week or 2.
    Would you WANT to join a guild that took LFR kills seriously? =D

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity View Post
    Would you WANT to join a guild that took LFR kills seriously? =D
    Experience and gear are easy to fix. Being bad isn't. You can tell if somebody is terrible from LFR logs.

Quote Originally Posted by leethaxor View Post
    Unless you're extremely lucky.

Worth noting that Sha of Anger has a quest for 476 boots the first time you kill him, so that's a bit of a head start. Getting exalted with Klaxxi and...Shado-pan? I forget the other one...will give you 489 epics too...Klaxxi is fairly easy, if you do Dread Wastes leveling you'll be well into honored before you even ding.

It's fairly trivial to get into "heroics", but it's pretty luck-based if you can get 460 to get into MSV and even MORE luck-based to get the 470 for the other 10 bosses.

Honestly, you're probably better off PvPing for gear...it's not fast either, but at least it's not luck-based.

The whole expansion seems to just be one big hamster-wheel of gear though. It's not all that interesting, imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravy
    Any plan that doesn't call for the end of the world or the extinction of the human race isn't a good plan

Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    I know people that have gotten geared enough to do LFR the same day they hit 90, and I guess it depends on your definition of "serious raiding". If you want like a top tier high end guild, ya probably about a month+ of prep work is a good idea. But if you do all of the LFR fights once and you know how to write a good application, I bet you can find a decent guild in a week or 2. Could probably start doing some normal mode PuGs at least.
    Well I'm aiming to get back into top 10 US, but that's not going to happen until the end of the xpack most likely. I'll need to rebuild my resume of experience. Nobody gives a shit about top 20 kills 4 tiers ago, while it shows experience the 6 month break is fishy.

I figured most of 5.2 will be spent in a medocre at best guild in a top 10ish on server position.

My plan was roughly 1 week to 90 (just playing after work, so only able to really play about 5 hours per day), figuring 50 hours to max (which is what it was, I'm looking at 10 days I figure to max at 90). After that I'll have gear to grind to catch up. Most likely 5mans, decking out in full heroic 5mans shouldn't take more then a weekend to do (regardless of drop rates). Then its the slow grind to do LFR's and app to guilds.

With the right attitude and effort there only real limit is your schedule. The first two are choices and you appear to have made the right ones ... Pandaria will treat you well.
    RIP Stormrage Horde ('05 - '11). Turaylon Horde since 11/11 where there's actually people
    GM of Neolutum (always recruiting, PM me)

Once you don't really have much to gain from 5 man's, the "load" may ease up a bit. At that point, you do your dailies each day, run one heroic and one scenario. Doing that plus lfr's will get you valor capped and get your charms for extra loot rolls. Then it's lfr at least once per week. Anything more than that and you lose a LOT of efficiency. Justice points and valor from doing more than the first heroic or scenario are not very efficient. You wouldn't "grind" for that since you will cap from dailies if you do those 5~ish days a week. Since you will need the dailies for rep, then grinding 5 mans feels pretty useless once you don't need 463 gear.

A note about the Elder tokens for the bonus loot roll: You can do this even when you are not eligible for loot (edit: in lfr). So if you run Terrace of Endless Springs the first time, you get the random roll from each boss. If you run it again, you will get the bonus valor after the last boss, but you are not eligible for loot from the bosses the second time. If you have Elder Tokens, you can still use those on the second, third, w/e kill for the week. For instance, I wanted the str axe from the last boss. 3 elder tokens per week meant that the first time through, I got the normal roll and one bonus roll. I would then run ToES two more times with no loot from any boss just to try to use the token for the weapon two more times. Ended up taking 34 loot attempts before I got the drop =(
    Last edited by sifuedition; 02-12-2013 at 11:15 AM.
    "he doens't need healing, he doesn't need healing, he doesn't nee-WHAOSHIT!wtf was that man!". Please stop leaning on TDR. -Teng

Quote Originally Posted by sifuedition View Post
    If you have Elder Tokens, you can still use those on the second, third, w/e kill for the week. For instance, I wanted the str axe from the last boss. 3 elder tokens per week meant that the first time through, I got the normal roll and one bonus roll. I would then run ToES two more times with no loot from any boss just to try to use the token for the weapon two more times. Ended up taking 34 loot attempts before I got the drop =(
    I can't find elder token on wowhead can you explain a bit more? It sounds fairly major. Just farm these endlessly how does it work? Just spend them to keep rolling until you hit 100? Wouldn't that make LFR pointless unless you have a large number of elder tokens?

You can only get 3 per week. It takes 90 lesser charms of good fortune to get 3 elder charms of good fortune. 90 lesser charms is roughly 45 dailies (depending on the daily) per week.

Also, you can only use 1 elder token per kill. Therefore, to get 4 rolls per week on the weapon as I was doing required at least 3 kills (3 tokens + the natural loot roll on the first kill). This is a pita for a dps with about an hour queue time each time for ToES lfr.

When 5.2 comes out, those lesser charms will buy the new bonus roll currency that can only be used in 5.2 raids/lfr. At that point, Elder tokens will become drops from mobs (at least, this is the last I heard about the Blizzard planned change). Until then, they work as described.

Edit: Also, sorry about the token/charm wording I have apparently mixed up. Just as in this post, I find it hard to even correct myself. Every time I'm saying "token" here I suppose I should be saying "charm" but I've been doing that since they came out.
    Last edited by sifuedition; 02-13-2013 at 07:40 AM.

+ Reply to Thread