+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PST - Episode 112

PST - Episode 112

This week:
    0:16 - What do you think of Tier 15 encounters so far?
    2:57 - Would 10 and 25man balance out better if the rooms were scaled differently?
    6:46 - Will better loot really help incentivize 25man raiders?
    9:27 - Is the MMO market heading toward a time when all MMOs are free to play?
    15:50 - Would better recruitment tools help 25man raiding?
    22:16 - Should there be a raid with only "numbers" fights?
    27:20 - How do you feel about the "catch-up" gearing model in MoP?
    33:05 - Why don't guilds pay for new recruits' server transfers?
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

as to the instance scaling: reducing the size of the instance would not fix anything, as for Feng for example. for the last phase it requires you to spread out as ranged. but the range of your spells is the same as before.

also +1 for nagassh

I don't think the scaling discussion was to make it easier for 25s though. I think the intent was to scale down for 10s so they have a comparable difficulty.

The problem with the whole idea is that difficulty is much more than one element. There is quite a bit of complexity so that the relaxed spacing requirements in 10s is (edit: possibly) offset by other issues. You just can't look at this as being the sole difference in a vacuum.
    "he doens't need healing, he doesn't need healing, he doesn't nee-WHAOSHIT!wtf was that man!". Please stop leaning on TDR. -Teng

I do agree that requesting money from the guild for transfers is not something that would work. I think this mentality kind of arrived from the whole "Guild Bank" idea. With all the guild perks and tasks, guild banks slowly fill themselves with gold, which can then occasionally be used to help players out with in game gold costs.

However, you're talking about real life cash here. The "guild" doesn't have cash. IRL, the guild is nothing more than a group of people, so you're basically asking other people to pay for your transfer. I can see it happen that when a guild decides to transfer to a more populated server, and one or two players are having troubles coughing up the cash, other guildies might help out, because you're already guildies, but getting new people to your server? Besides, what if, after you transferred off their money, you decide to say: "Forget it! I'm on a high populated server now, there are plenty of other guilds to join."?

However, it really is a problem, and it would be really nice if Blizzard fixed it somehow. Perhaps not with free migrations, as it would end whatever feeling of server community still remains, but at least by making sure that everyone is on a server with plenty of people to raid with.

Or maybe guilds would receive invite power. Every two weeks, guilds can invite a character from another realm to their own realm or something along that nature, and for two weeks, that character cannot /gquit (but can still be kicked).

I think they should have an option for gnome sized instances so we don't get lost in the middle of a huge room

I'm not really enjoying MoP all that much, and the "catch-up" system is a part of that.

I don't really enjoy dailies, but I did them on my main. The 5.1 dailies were better and 5.2 sounds better still. I refuse to do them on alts, however. That means I'm at the mercy of LFR, with nothing really to spend valor on. And I haven't gotten an upgrade in about 4-6 weeks now on my alt. I actually just dropped an LFR group because I just couldn't work up the effort to care anymore.

I really enjoy having mutliple alts and having multiple playstyles. But the MoP gearing system is just too much for me and I think I'm going to retire my alts and just focus on my main. We'll see how long WOW can hold my attention with one character.

What if you could pay for realm transfers with in game gold ... 25K per transfer? Would let with time but no money have an option. Also guilds could choose to pay if they really wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Knighterrant81 View Post
    I'm not really enjoying MoP all that much, and the "catch-up" system is a part of that.
    MSV/HoF/TES LFR are current content so there should not be a catch up system ... yet. When the next tier drops we can see how the catch up system works.
    Gearing an alt to current tier should not be "too easy" but is not as hard as main because of the rep bonuses make getting honored and hence VP easier ... you can get Klaxxi and Shadow Pan just doing the leveling quest chains. Also a lot more crafted gear 476 is around now.

MSV/HoF/TES LFR are current content so there should not be a catch up system ... yet. When the next tier drops we can see how the catch up system works.
    Gearing an alt to current tier should not be "too easy" but is not as hard as main because of the rep bonuses make getting honored and hence VP easier ... you can get Klaxxi and Shadow Pan just doing the leveling quest chains. Also a lot more crafted gear 476 is around now.
    I refuse to do dailies on an alt, so rep/valor gear is mostly out of the question (barring some of the honored pieces on the Shado-Pan or Klaxxi). There's a little crafted gear out there but not much. Its not a huge deal, just that LFR is singularly unrewarding as content (anything you can go 6 weeks without getting a drop - I'm pretty sure I haven't gone that long without getting gear in normal/heroic raiding unless I've done something silly like hoard DKP for a tier token or something) and LFR IS gearing content - jumping into MSV normal modes in all blues right now with a pickup group isn't going to make for an impressive performance.

I think that's the problem with LFR right now - Blizzard sees it as endgame content for casuals, but a lot of folks see it as a gearing method for normal modes (and those folks raiding LFR primarily need all the help they can get to do the jump to normal modes).

Even Blizzard seems to see it as gearing content too, hence the lack of new 5 mans to bridge the gear gap. However, they kinda sorta seem to be trying to treat it both ways at once, which is where it seems like there will be issues, IMO. My guild took a break at Christmas...and forgot to come back. Unfortunately, that has left me out of normals for a while now and I find that my lack of loot luck has made that worse. I may be biased because I'm clearly coming from a "catch-up" perspective, but I still think my opinion should have some bearing, especially since I'm sure I'm not alone.

I haven't checked it, but apparently (edit: according to someone in mumble who used to be a guildie) PTR is requiring 485 to enter the 5.2 lfr. If that goes live...5.1 lfr only drops 483 gear so anyone behind or alts will still need a chunk of normal mode or valor gear. Obviously, this is ptr and that requirement might only be to see the effect gear has on success or to eliminate any undergeared toons from skewing the results, idk. That might not make it live. If it does...I might not last long in 5.2.
    "he doens't need healing, he doesn't need healing, he doesn't nee-WHAOSHIT!wtf was that man!". Please stop leaning on TDR. -Teng

Blizzard said the ilevel requirement for the 5.2 LFR will be 480. But yeah, you will be lucky to meet that just from 5.0 LFR. The Shieldwall items should be a big help - I'm reluctant to spend vps on anything else for my alts, as the 496 ilevel is so helpful in getting to 480. It's arguably the best rep grind too - unlocking yellow story quests as you go makes it feel less repetitive.

Hey, Seihk...

Why not just roll a new character on a high population server with a number of guilds on it that you find interesting? It really does not take long to level a character to max, and you don't need a guild to get raid geared anymore with the LFR feature. I think you could be ready to raid again in a month or so.

Didn't mean to completely remove loot from the equation in regards to enticing people into 25mans, but I don't think loot can be the sole draw to 25mans. Either it's not lucrative enough, or it's too lucrative that it kills 10mans again - I struggle to believe they can hit a balance that is enough to "revive" 25man raiding without going too far.

It's certainly an incentive, but NOT giving 25mans more loot isn't a disincentive - it's the organisation requires, I just think they should focus far more on fixing the unattractive parts of 25man rather than leaving things unattractive, but "bribing" people to put up with it.

Quote Originally Posted by wormspeaker View Post
    Hey, Seihk...

Why not just roll a new character on a high population server with a number of guilds on it that you find interesting? It really does not take long to level a character to max, and you don't need a guild to get raid geared anymore with the LFR feature. I think you could be ready to raid again in a month or so.
    Yeah that was one of the options I was considering. I found a guild that was willing to pay my transfers with 9/16H experience which is right about where I'm at anyway so it all worked out. It's not so much that I can't afford the transfer...It's just I've been really hard on my fiance with our budget because she likes to spend where she shouldn't and we just bought a house. It'd be difficult for me to reign her in on the budget and then waste another 25 dollars on a game on a service that in her mind "isn't necessary."

But anyway, there are quite a few guilds that are willing to pay for transfers if you have decent logs. I just don't see why the guilds that weren't willing were so hostile about it :P. I'm very respectful and I have great logs and experience (dating back to vanilla). I've met a lot of really cool guilds that offered paid services, and I've met a lot of cool guilds that didn't.

Not really a big deal either way, I was just annoyed at being flamed so often lol.

+ Reply to Thread