+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Arms Warrior: Looking for some help on what talents to use.

Arms Warrior: Looking for some help on what talents to use.

Hey guys,

New here, semi-new to pvp and warrior. I'm having trouble with what I would call "button bloat", just seems I have stuff on there that never really got used at all or if they did they were a one off "Oh SH-" moment (see Rallying cry etc.) I've remedied that with some macros, but I still have a few skills I'm not really sure if they are even a viable option to use in PVP scenarios. The skills I'm looking at are Cleave and Whirlwind I've been reading up on both abilities and it seems to be a toss up whether or not they should be used or not, since they both need multiple attackers in a certain range part of me thinks that it's a wasted bind/action bar slot considering that it's kind of a one off situation (sitting on a capped flag in AB for instance),and I've even watched numerous youtube videos from "pros" for macros and even just overall usage and haven't seen any real reference to it, but I still have this feeling that I'm over looking something.

So my questions are:

1) Are Cleave/Whirlwind viable in PVP or should I not bother?
    2) If they are viable is there a macro I should/could use to help perhaps put them into one (pretty sure macros don't allow if modifiers so I don't think I'll be able to bind it to HS and have it do cleave/whirlwind if there is more than one attacker.)?

Thanks in advance.

You could use one like this:

#showtooltip
    /cast [mod:alt] Cleave; Heroic Strike;

Make the modifier whatever you want. Then, normal keypress would be HS and then that key + the modifier would be cleave. The macro cannot, however, decide for you when to do which one. Macros can never be conditional based on game conditions, only conditional on which keys are pressed.
    "he doens't need healing, he doesn't need healing, he doesn't nee-WHAOSHIT!wtf was that man!". Please stop leaning on TDR. -Teng

So, cleave would be a viable pvp talent? I was thinking of a similar macro but was kind of torn whether I should use it.

Thanks for the response.

-C3ll

I am not sure you would use either as arms. I guess it depends on your situation.

For instance...

If you are trying to fight two other people by yourself, you'd be best served to stick to single target and burst one down as fast as possible. If you are in an arena, likely the same situation.

If you are in a bg and you are either 1) Trying to up your damage done for the bg 2) completely being ignored and have sufficient heals then maybe you would go to an AoE type rotation. Generally, in PvP, getting a fast kill on one target is more important than getting more damage done but either target living longer.

I suppose if you could make both think they are the focus of your attacks at the same time, you might be able to pressure them into wasting cds by using AoEs but that seems like a stretch.

Just my opinion, I would prefer to have those bound to a keybind somehow, but they would likely be some of the first options I would be willing to drop if I had to. Maybe have them on some of your more awkward keybinds like your worst modifier key or something.
    "he doens't need healing, he doesn't need healing, he doesn't nee-WHAOSHIT!wtf was that man!". Please stop leaning on TDR. -Teng

Thanks for the help, you share the same view as I was of bursting down trying to take them 1 at a time. I like the sounds of binding for a "just in case" situation.

Cleave can sometimes be nice to have bound for every once in a while. Like say you are just trying to pressure a team in arena to get the healer to blow some cds, if you pop SS+BS and follow it up with a few big cleaves it may be enough to make the healer panic and go tree form or pop spirit link ect. but WW is a no-no for arms. WW damage is pathetic as arms, so just use thunderclap where you think you should WW. Either way, when I'm pvping I have it bound, but if I ever need a free keybind, cleave is the first to go.

I never bother with wasting action bar space with either of these abilities. If you're fighting more than one, its better to stay focused on one target IMO, if you are fighting 2melee use Sweeping Strikes.

+ Reply to Thread