+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Prot Warrior 4 set... how good is it?

Prot Warrior 4 set... how good is it?

Ok, so I just got my normal Tier head and as I was looking up my tier in Atlas Loot I noticed I actually just like the stats on the DPS Tier head more than the Prot Tier helm. I already have the Tier DPS legs for tanking just because when I got them they were better than what I had. (Got them off Sha of Anger) But anyway, back to the point, I'm kind of tempted to go with DPS tier helm because I'm not too awfully excited about our Protection 4 set. And maybe I'm just not quite grasping how good it actually is, which is why I'm here.

So...
    Part 1: SB costs 5 less rage.
    This means slightly less rush to get rage going at the start of a fight to achieve maximum SB up-time, and later in the fight when SB spends more time on CD, more rage that can go to SBar to fill the gaps. Or more Executes at the end of the fight (if you're not in danger of dying of course)
    Part 2: SBar, now with 5% more Bar.
    Good in all situations I guess, whether as a filler between SB's or on a full SBar fight, or as an Anti-TKLoD.

So yeah, it's not a bad 4 set. I just don't find it to be an amazing 4 set. But maybe I'm under-valuing it. Are there any fights on heroic that really just make this a must have? Curious to hear the opinions of those who have it (or chose not to have it)

unless you suck at pulling you will not see any diffeence on the pull with the fourset bonus shout+zerker+charge is 50 rage, your first GCD should be a rage builder which will put you from 50 rage to to either 65 or 70, fourpiece or not you first SB comes after the first GCD. If your using Sbar on the pull before you have any vengeance stop pulling wrong.

On any single target tank fight you need ~6.6rps just to Maintain Shield block the 4 piece lowers this to ~6.1rps 0.5rps gain, which seems trivial, however a hit&exp capped tank will generate about 8.3rps, so our excess rage gen goes from 1.7rps to 2.2rps, 29% more rage to bleed off. If thats significant will depend on how well you can manage your active mitigations.

the 5% greater Sbars doesn't threll me a 20 rage sbar will now act as if you cast it with 21rage and a 60 rage one will cast as if you had 63 rage. nice but nothing special. like finding out some one else balled your socks.
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    unless you suck at pulling you will not see any diffeence on the pull with the fourset bonus shout+zerker+charge is 50 rage, your first GCD should be a rage builder which will put you from 50 rage to to either 65 or 70, fourpiece or not you first SB comes after the first GCD. If your using Sbar on the pull before you have any vengeance stop pulling wrong.
    I didn't mean the start of the fight as in the pull, I meant more as in the first 15 seconds when there can be a bit of a scramble to build rage back up after SB's if you manage to not get a Revenge or SnB procs.
    Last edited by Gregasaurous; 01-08-2013 at 04:53 AM.

Still no difference;

Without 4pc Bonus

prepull: Charge,ZR, shout; 50 rage
    0.0: SS; 70 rage
    0.1: SB; 10 rage
    1.5: Rev; 25
    3.0: Dev+defstance tick; 26
    4.5: Dev; 26
    6.0: SS+defstance tick; 47
    7.5: Dev; 47
    9.0: Dev+defstamnce tick; 48
    10.5: Rev; 63
    10.6: SB; 3
    12: SS+defstance tick; 24
    13.5; dev; 24
    15; dev; 24

With 4pc bonus
    prepull: Charge,ZR, shout; 50 rage
    0.0: SS; 70 rage
    0.1: SB; 15 rage
    1.5: Rev; 30
    3.0: Dev+defstance tick; 31
    4.5: Dev; 31
    6.0: SS+defstance tick; 52
    7.5: Dev; 52
    9.0: Dev+defstamnce tick; 53
    10.5: Rev; 68
    10.6: SB; 8
    12: SS+defstance tick; 27
    13.5; dev; 27
    15; dev; 27

Worst case senarios have you use SB at the exact same times in the initial 15 seconds regardless of the 4pc or not. Its not a suddenly change how things play fourset, its nowhere near as powerful as the T13 4pc (thank god).
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post

With 4pc bonus

9.0: Dev+defstamnce tick; 53
    10.5: Rev; 68
    10.6: SB; 13**
    12: SS+defstance tick; 34**
    13.5; dev; 34**
    15; dev; 34**
    Correction aside, you're right, it would take a large amount of time to make any significant difference in SB up-time.

+ Reply to Thread