+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Advice on tanking/dps

Advice on tanking/dps

Hi guys, i am new here allthough i've been following Tankspot for a lifetime (or so it feels). Under the 7 years i've been playing i picked upp alot information from various sites about my pala.Holy has been my MS since day 1. I even leveled all the way as holy (from 1-70 then i gave retri a shot), so it is safe to say that i know all there is to know as far as holy goes.Now to the main topic and my question.Lately i've been soloing alot as retri, 487 GS ( this is my OS).I've been doing all old raids, and now i got nothing else to solo exept WOTLK and CATA. I feel that i should be able to solo parts of ICC (normal) and Onyxia (25) by now. Onyxia 10 is no problem,but the 25 version and Marowgar in ICC are real problems, even naxx 25 is an issue. I take way to much damage.This despite my sacred shield, various buffs and potions. I do good damage to them, but the damage i take is way to high.I know all the tacts for the fights so that isn't the issue.My question is: Is there some kind of combination i could do,like maybe going prot in dps gear or going retri in tank gear?Since the talents now days are the same regardsless of your spec, i am sure there is something you could do?I feel pretty safe in my role as retri, but i know there is still alot i could learn.And i know that you should be able to solo these places by now (ofc if the mechanics allow it).Anybody plz give me some tips, i've been reading alot, watching alot on youtube but i stil can't figure out how to make this happen.I thank you guys in advance for any tips and plz excuse my english but it' s my third language.
    Last edited by Bato80; 01-04-2013 at 04:20 AM.

Are you using Seal of Truth or Seal of Insight? For soloing, I would be using SoI. A lot of self heals while using that. Despite the dps loss, your dps should be high enough I would think.
    "he doens't need healing, he doesn't need healing, he doesn't nee-WHAOSHIT!wtf was that man!". Please stop leaning on TDR. -Teng

Yes i am using SoI, and it does help untill i get the boss below 50% ot the next phase.My latest solo was Halion, i had a little issues but after 2-3 times i got him down. As far as naxx 25 goes, i managed to take on some bosses, but not all ( that you really should be able to solo). And ICC.... I can't even get past Mawrogar (10 man) because of the damage i take, same with Onyxia 25.

I did Sapphiron 25 solo as retribution, switching between SoI and SoT and regularly using WoG. I did Kel'thuzad as protection spec.

Here is what i use:KingsScroll of FortitudeFood buff (+300 strenght)Flask (+ 1000 strenght)Potion ( prepoting + 4000 strenght) Seal of insight

I wouldn't bother with 300 stat food, that's just a waste of money. The cheap 250 str food will do just as well, maybe think about the 375 stamina food and the 1500 stamina flask instead.

If you are soloing stuff as Protection, use Blessing of Might instead of Kings.

I will try that AsAp. What do you think about going prot in retri gear or going retri in prot gear?

I think going prot in mainly DPS gear is probably better, pretty sure paladins still want hit/exp cap for tanking, so that's good. Obviously you'll need a 1hr and shield instead of a 2hr, but I think it's reasonable to do old content like that.
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.
    Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Thank you for your comments i will try that.If any other ppl are reading and have opinions PLZ leave a comment, all tips are welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Bato80 View Post
    I will try that AsAp. What do you think about going prot in retri gear or going retri in prot gear?
    Paladin tanking gear IS retribution gear (except it is reforged for 15% expertise instead of 7.5%)

Actually when i said "protgear" i ment gear with dodge, parry etc etc.... which is not retrigear and i think that Aggathon understoid that. But thank you for your reply none the less. I'll try to be more specific in the future.

What he means is prot does not try to get dodge and parry. Sure, it's on some of our gear because we don't have the piece we want yet or that slot doesn't have a hit/exp/haste/mastery piece.

Prot pally wants hit cap, exp cap, haste and mastery...which is basically what ret wants too.
    "he doens't need healing, he doesn't need healing, he doesn't nee-WHAOSHIT!wtf was that man!". Please stop leaning on TDR. -Teng

+ Reply to Thread