+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question about my PSU

Question about my PSU

I was just given a new computer. I had a geforce 650 and my old PSU installed. My old computer was locking up while attempting to reinstall windows. I have to have someone else do the work on my pc due to warranty fun. Now the fans are turning on, but I don't get the video cards bios message, or any video output for that matter. The first time I turned it on, the hard drive could not be found. I'm thinking there is a power issue happening, either the PSU is dying or something is not grounded properly. Any thoughts?

Is everything plugged in correctly? Even if you are sure it is, double-check it anyway. Make sure to push each connector so that the plastic housing is flush with the socket.

If you have the option of outputting video through the motherboard instead of a graphics card, will it POST without the graphics card installed?

Does the computer make any beeps when you turn the it on, or does it have a debug LED on the motherboard itself? If yes, note down the beep code or the code on the LED read-out.

Everything was plugged in correctly, I did upgrade from a 500w to 600w PSU, though that wasn't the issue. I tried 2 different PNY geforce 650 cards and they both refused to work. I then installed a AMD Radeon 7770, the Best Buy exclusive one. No fuss, no problems. Have any of you heard of any geforce 650 problems with Asus UFI, or Windows 8. I'm guessing UFI since I was unable to view the graphics card bios, but I haven't found any relevant results yet on google. Thanks for the help.

P.S. No beep codes, and as near as I can tell it passed POST.

More likely a problem with Windows 8. Did you completely remove the AMD drivers and related software from the computer using Driver Sweeper before swapping to an nVidia card? Very important to do that.

I did remove the nvidia drivers completely. What I'm noticing is I do not see either the graphics card's Bios, or the Asus UFI. I'm starting to believe that I have a bad mother board or there is some sort of BIOS conflict. Although I wouldn't rule out Windows 8. All told the real trouble seems to happen during POST, so the Windows drivers shouldn't be as much of an issue at that point.

If the 7770 worked just fine and the 650s didn't, it is more of an indication that you got a dud graphics card than anything else. You are sure you plugged in the PCI-E power correctly?

Install the motherboard speaker, then you'll hear a beep code (think morse code) if the system fails POST. You can then look up what the beeps mean in the motherboard manual.

Hello,

could you provide motherboard info plz?
    Some motherboards depending on chipsets and all have problems with either Nvidia based chip cards or AMD cards.

You never know! Maybe...

+ Reply to Thread