+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: PST - Episode 107

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    There are more than three types of raiders.
    Well yeah, technically there are 126 types of raiders.

You said the reason tiers are nerfed is so that people can complete final-tier content before the next expansion. But with LFR people can already complete that content. It's not as hard and the loot isn't as good, but the content is still being completed.
    Unless what you meant is that Blizzard wants everyone to be able to attain the same types of gear and/or achievements before the next expansion . . . ?
    Last edited by Jjvalour; 12-19-2012 at 12:25 PM.

It's a question of challenge. Blizzard wants everyone to face off against content that is challenging to them, because that's the enjoyable part of raiding. It's no fun to constantly faceroll content, but it's no fun to go up against something you know you have no chance of ever completing either.

Also, gear is 100% meaningless.
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

There tends to be a much longer delay after the last tier relative to content patches. When the other tiers tend to be out for a couple months but the last tier is often about a year long, this is keeping people interested longer. People who might otherwise brick-wall and just quit until the next expac instead have something to work towards and keep subscriptions active. Blizzard has numbers they will probably never show us, but once someone discontinues a sub, there is a percentage they just never get back. It happened big time to my guild with MoP. They would just assume keep people busy with something.
    "he doens't need healing, he doesn't need healing, he doesn't nee-WHAOSHIT!wtf was that man!". Please stop leaning on TDR. -Teng

Quote Originally Posted by sifuedition View Post
    There tends to be a much longer delay after the last tier relative to content patches. When the other tiers tend to be out for a couple months but the last tier is often about a year long, this is keeping people interested longer. People who might otherwise brick-wall and just quit until the next expac instead have something to work towards and keep subscriptions active. Blizzard has numbers they will probably never show us, but once someone discontinues a sub, there is a percentage they just never get back. It happened big time to my guild with MoP. They would just assume keep people busy with something.
    Exactly this.

I think as you say, there is a danger than some subscribers won't come back. However I think the main reason for doing it is simply to maintain subscription revenues during that period.

From the data I have seen from that realm stats website, it appears that there is a far greater level of subscription decay during the phase between the release of the final tier and the launch of the new expansion than is seen between the earlier tiers (assuming the expansion doesn't suck a la Cata).

I personally put that down to players feeling less pressure to progress at that point.

If you take a six month subscription holiday right now, you could end up struggling to catch up or regain your raid spot against far better geared guild mates when you return.

If you take a six month holiday at the end of the expansion you couldn't care less as there is a huge gear reset before the next tier. Players simply aren't as motivated to keep pushing forward each week. I mean you can three-man the damn raids a few months later... If Blizzard didn't make it easier those guys would just say "screw this" and walk.

The highly motivated guys have already cleared the content and are on holiday or playing beta. We are talking about those that are far less motivated and driven to succeed in the game to start with... They can be retained with the promise of easy carrots.

I don't think recount does correct for delays. I know that Skada does and you get pretty different results between the two as a result.

I always use only the damage done on recount, since especially if you look at dps numbers after a wipe you will get wildly innacurate numbers from people who die and have dots keep ticking on the boss.

One thing I was thinking might be an interesting way to recruit would be running an ingame event as a recruitment drive. It could be doing LFR with possible recruits or a scavenger hunt or AV, etc... You get a bunch of your officers and/or some of your coolest/best raiders and hang out on another server doing fun stuff with other people as a meet and greet. With the CRZ feature of being able to bring other people over this would as easy as one of the officers rolling a new character on the server you're targeting and have that new toon inv the group over for the event.

+ Reply to Thread