+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How much Stamina is enough Stamina?

How much Stamina is enough Stamina?

I play a Protection Paladin http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/gurubashi/Vedel/simple

I
    have seen multiple guides ranking mastery and stamina equal after hit and expertise hard caps. I currently have 563k HP unbuffed. I was wondering how much stamina you guys think tanks need for 10 man heroic modes. I currently don't gem straight for stamina in blue sockets, but use mastery+stamina.

Is there a point where we no longer want stamina? Or are we back to wotlk stam stacking until the end of the world?

I think that there is enough stamina on the gear if you are doing ten man raiding. I'm going to keep with my haste gemming (after 7.5% hit, 15% expertise) for heroic modes. If you were raiding 25man heroics, however, I would rate stamina above haste or mastery - simply because the bosses hit that much harder.

My armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...etzie/advanced
    Last edited by Fetzie; 12-12-2012 at 09:02 AM.

It's really subjective. If you're not dying on your guild's progression content, you probably have enough for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Quote Originally Posted by Fetzie View Post
    I would rate stamina above haste or stamina
    I'm confused, anyone else confused?
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.
    Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    I'm confused, anyone else confused?
    What? Stamina's SO good that it's better than ITSELF! Fail to see the problem...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravy
    Any plan that doesn't call for the end of the world or the extinction of the human race isn't a good plan

Quote Originally Posted by Dreador View Post
    It's really subjective. If you're not dying on your guild's progression content, you probably have enough for now.
    Pretty much this honestly. There are a number things to take into account though.

First is making sure you have enough health to live through actual "boss mechanic" damage spikes with more than enough health left over for a normal attack directly afterward. Granted we don't really have the "Tank Killing Laser of Doom" like we saw in Dargon Soil, but there are still a few things to watch out for. (ie breath on elegon with high stacks)

The second would be: How good are your healers at reacting to drastic changes in your health-pool? If you have a super god-mode tank healer who does nothing but stare at your health bar, you might not need as much stamina (unfortunately almost never the case in 10m). If however you're on a 2-healed fight with a fair amount of raid damage going out, you might want a little more EHP so your healers don't have to rush to get you back up during a spike in raid damage.

Lastly: Healer Mana. I personally think healers are just grabbing at the excuse to have one more thing to complain about, but nonetheless conserving mana is something you could do to shut them up =D. So basically, if you have a lot more stamina than you need, that's "wasted stats" that could have gone to a little bit of damage reduction, which is one less heal that needs to be cast on you.

So, in summary: How much health? As much as you need to comfortably stay alive and nothing more.

I'm of the opinion:

Get so much health if your dog jumps up and pisses on your keyboard you can stay alive long enough to go get your backup keyboard and plug it in.
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.

I have 505k and I'm doing fine so far in heroics, only 3/6 msv but still. 563k is definitely more than enough imo, as others have said as long as you feel comfortable and your healers are comfortable then you can stack other things like Haste or Mastery.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    I'm of the opinion:

Get so much health if your dog jumps up and pisses on your keyboard you can stay alive long enough to go get your backup keyboard and plug it in.
    Shit. You reminded me I should have bought a second g510 during the black friday sale. I'd have to switch in the Anansi which has much different binds....Also I should get a dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Re: How much Stamina is enough Stamina?

Quote Originally Posted by Gregasaurous View Post
    Dargon Soil
    This. Best typo ever?

Sent from my Galaxy SII using Tapatalk.
    "Stop trying to hit me and hit me!"

~ Morpheus

I think it has become an acceptable spelling for Dragon Soul now.

Quote Originally Posted by Fetzie View Post
    I think it has become an acceptable spelling for Dragon Soul now.
    Yeah, see, the problem is that "Dragon Soul" sounds ominously cool..... Dargon Soil describes the instance much more appropriately.

I'm a Brewmaster with a very low health pool.
    I was trying to figure out a good value for health as well.
    Doing 10 man Normal's I was taking into consideration how much the melee strikes are.
    For example Elegon melee strikes on our last parse are around 100k/strike. Zor'lok Normal is hitting for around 130k/strike.
    I was thinking surviving three strikes would be a good basis so roughly 390k+ health pool(minimum). Is that ridiculously low? ( for Normal's ).
    Or would four strikes be a better minimum to aim at? Anyone done a lot of Normal's playing with a small health pool?

@mandible

Unfortunately, your question calls to mind someone's signature here that I remember, "Nobody tanks in a void".

The meaning is that tanking is not isolated enough to simply answer that way. DPS tends to be very isolated to your own actions. Tanking is a more complex combination of the tank's actions and the healers. The answer to your question very much depends on your healers as well. I would communicate with them to see how often they feel you are in an "emergency" mode. How often do they have to focus exclusively on you? If you are getting to Elegon, however, it seems to me that is lower than normal.
    "he doens't need healing, he doesn't need healing, he doesn't nee-WHAOSHIT!wtf was that man!". Please stop leaning on TDR. -Teng

I'm not even going for stamina on my warrior yet and I already have significantly more HP than that and I'm only ilevel 477 in prot gear I think. 390k is really really low. I think I have like 470k unbuffed at the moment.

I'm also ilvl 477, and Monk tanks are a lot different than the other tanks as I can pretty much double my health pool with a self shield at any time. That shield is stronger though based on Attack Power rather than a percentage of health pool.

I think I'm over 400 now but I'm definitely about 150k under plate tanks due to them valuing stamina higher.

I'd like to go lower but mostly looking for someone that has tried that way of tanking. It reminds me of back in the Naxx days as a DK. They had 80% avoidance in the first tier instance, pretty much unkillable as long as they could take one shot.

Actually, plate tanks shouldn't be valuing much differently at all.

Hit -> Expertise -> Mastery=Stamina* -> Dodge/Parry

*The balance of mastery and stam depends on you, your healers, and the content you are attempting. Also, Paladins are a bit different in that they value Haste -> Mastery/Stamina in that place.
    "he doens't need healing, he doesn't need healing, he doesn't nee-WHAOSHIT!wtf was that man!". Please stop leaning on TDR. -Teng

DKs really don't need hit or expertise like warriors/pallies/monks do
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

DKs are tanks? Sorry, jk, jk. I was merely using warrior/pally rather than trying to explain them all.

Even following your stat paradigm for pally's our pally tank has about 5k more stamina than the monk.
    The way the monk tanks that may or may not be a good thing.

+ Reply to Thread