+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Where can I lear about the math behind mechanics?

Where can I lear about the math behind mechanics?

Hey everyone, I am looking for where I can learn about the math and mechanics about tanking/wow on a warrior. I've read some stuff on EJ but confused where they are getting the numbers from.

I attempted to try to find the % of damage taken and added in the mitigation from defensive stance and armor, but then got confused how to calculate block added since there is a % chance to block/crit block and then the amount block is 30%. Also adding dodge into the equation threw me off because I wasn't sure if it was based on a roll systems where a dodge/block occurred at the same time, the dodge would be used.

Other things I am interested in finding is effective health of myself, and the actual damage by a boss (as opposed to the perceived damage we see on the screen).

I remember that Tankspot, a long time ago, used to have a separate category with all the math and theory crafting, and I am basically looking for another resource like that.

I have seen calculators for TBC, WotLK, and even some Cata, but those seem outdated. Like TBC calculates the haste bosses used to get after they parried one of your attacks.

Anyways if someone could direct me to a place where I can learn some of this stuff and understand it better that would be awesome.

Thanks

You should start here:

http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...nd-Math-in-WoW

Maths in WoW is generally just the simple addition, subtraction, multiplication and division operations, although they are often strung together is rather complicated looking ways.

Thanks, appreciate the response. I clicked on that thread before I had interest in learning all the math, and I completely forgot about it haha. Now it looks interesting to me, i'll give it a read.

Alot of the math and mechaninc is stated in tooltips. Just mouseover various things in game to find out more information, Defensive stance is flat 25% damage reduction. Armor can be found by mousing over your the armor value on your character sheet. Boss actions are based on something refred to as the combat table. where each outcome takes up a specific ammount of the table for example

Miss 0-5
    Dodge 6-15
    Parry 16-30
    hit 31-95
    crit 96-100

Each time the boss attacks you it generates a random number and depeending on that number different out comes are decided. in a raiding situation bosses are sufficiantly high level that they shouldn't ever miss (its been pushed off the combat table), and likewise all tanks have passives that prevent them from being critted. so the combat table is simplified to Hit, , Dodge or Parry, the game rolls once to decide the outcome.

If the Attack connects then you have a second roll to block it.

Whether or not your blocks are criticals is decided by a third roll, and only after you block attacks; on your character sheet Your block chance is your chance to blockattack that havne't been dodged, parried or missed, you critical block chance is the chance that any blocks you get prevent for twice the normal amount of damage (the third roll). Say you had 24% block chance, 40% crit block chance and you block stopped 30% of the damage, and the bopss meleed for 100k per swing. 24% of the time you would block those attacks, of those blocks 60% of them would normal blocks and you would take 70K damage on those attacks (100k-30%=70k). the other 40% of the blocks would critical blocks and stop twice as much damage (60%) so you would take 40k damage from attacks which you critically block.

EH is not really something have to worry about, not is it something you particulirly chase unless you rather undergear the instance (HoF in Greens situations) your EHP is a rather easy calculation its just your Total HP / (1-%damage reduction source A)*(1-%damage reductions Source B) and just keep multiplying in any other sources of damage reductions. for example if you 500k HP, 55% damage reduction from armour, 25% damage reduction from defensive stance, and a 10% damage reduction form some rncounter mechanic you EHP would be;

500K/ (1-0.55)*(1-0.25)*(1-0.10)

or

500K/(0.45*0.75*0.9)

or

500k/0.30375

or

~1.646million

EDITED: becuase i am a doofas

Last edited by Tengenstein; 12-04-2012 at 06:08 AM.
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

Block is a two roll system now, isn't it?
    "he doens't need healing, he doesn't need healing, he doesn't nee-WHAOSHIT!wtf was that man!". Please stop leaning on TDR. -Teng

Quote Originally Posted by sifuedition View Post
    Block is a two roll system now, isn't it?
    IIRC

crit, crush, dodge, parry, miss

then block, hit

then crit block if you are a warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Fetzie View Post

crit, crush, dodge, parry, miss
    I thought it was - dodge, dip, duck, dive, dodge

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post
    I thought it was - dodge, dip, duck, dive, dodge
    Hmm...I thought it was dart, turn, parry, dodge, spin, thrust! (Just make sure to watch your bill...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravy
    Any plan that doesn't call for the end of the world or the extinction of the human race isn't a good plan

Whatever it is you can see it on ESPN 8 The Ocho.

And Obscure Sports Quarterly will have a summary with advertisements for local competitions.
    "he doens't need healing, he doesn't need healing, he doesn't nee-WHAOSHIT!wtf was that man!". Please stop leaning on TDR. -Teng

Shirley, this is like a bunch of retards trying to hump a door knob.

It is, but don't call be Shirley.
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.
    Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

+ Reply to Thread