+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Legendary - Damages!

Legendary - Damages!

Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

Leaving aside the balancing issues that plagued Wintergrasp early on (Tenacity ftl), I really enjoyed Wintergrasp. There were lots of ways to participate which kept it fresh. If you wanted to sit in a tower, eat lunch and pew-pew with a cannon that was fine. If you wanted to run with the zerg and kill the opposing faction, that was fine. If you wanted to protect or capture nodes, that was fine. If wanted to run around in tank and blow crap up, that was fine. Big, sprawling, evenly matched Wintergrasp battles were the closest the game has come to classic AV. So I'm cool with bringing it back.

Tol Barad on the other hand I could do without. I don't miss that terribly designed zergfest.

Mike makes a good point about the VOA and BH being the real reason folks did Wintergrasp and Tol Barad. The best battles were always mid-week after the reset. Without the carrot, there may not be as much interest in those old sticks.

I have no opinion on the WOW security lawsuit. As a guild officer, I've opened many, many tickets regarding hacked accounts of guild members. I don't doubt at all that Blizzard takes account security seriously, but I do think authenticators should be bundled with the game by default. I don't think the burden should be on the players to opt into the system. Also I think it's worth pointing out that the McDonald's coffee lawsuit is not the the frivolous affair urban legend would have folks believe. The poor woman at the center of the case was hospitalized with third degree burns and required skin grafts. I'm sure it was no joke to her.

Authenticator Case

This is what is going to hurt Blizzard as far as the authenticator case goes. They required....REQUIRED! you to have an authenticator to use the real money AH in Diablo 3, and I think this is what the main case was about as far as hidden cost....Not WOW
    Diablo 3 sold 3.5 million copies in its first 24 hours as Blizzard is quick to point out. The inclusion of Real Money auction house was touted and talked about before release.
    Players did not know they would need an authenticator for that service, but then it went live...Uh Oh. You need an authenticator.
    We will give it free to those that have a smartphone, but the rest will have to pay for it.
    Lets say 1 million of 3.5 million would have to pay the 2.50 (In Just The 24 Hours Of Sales) that lore said they would have to pay..That is a rough guess because many more bought it after the initial 24 hours, but lets use that number.
    That is 2 million 500 thousand dollars.
    That is where the case gets intricate.
    Blizzard knows that their security is SAFER with an authenticator, and could add it at a minimal cost but instead tries to make money off of it by adding a feature IN GAME that requires it....That is where they screwed the pooch and the prosecutors will have a field day with.

And how is the real money AH required? If you opt into an optional feature, then the requirements attached to that are also optional.
    "he doens't need healing, he doesn't need healing, he doesn't nee-WHAOSHIT!wtf was that man!". Please stop leaning on TDR. -Teng

Blizzard just gave me an authenticator last year and I'm not sure why. I don't think I'm some sort of special customer so I had assumed it was a pretty common thing they did. Doesn't seem like they're rapaciously exploiting security flaws to make money if they're giving away authenticators.

Player housing

Mike Shaffnit hit the nail on the head when it comes to player housing. No matter how modest we pretend to be, it IS about showing off. And (technical issues aside) how awesome wouldn't it be to fly over the suburbs of orgrimmar before getting to the part of the city that has auction house, vendors etc? You could stop next to some dude in Paragon's house and look through the window, seeing all his awesome gear in piles around his bed going "I want that!"

My background is pretty much the same as his though, having played Tibia many years. It's a very well developed model of how player housing really brings the city to life.

Blizz was supposed to send me a free authenticator, but they never did.

Slighty off topic here, but I didnt know where else would be a good spot to ask. When is Blizz Blues w/Darnell coming back!?

Thanks and Happy Holidays all!

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    Slighty off topic here, but I didnt know where else would be a good spot to ask. When is Blizz Blues w/Darnell coming back!?

Thanks and Happy Holidays all!
    Probably when Mike B gets back into playing WoW and his child enters his teens... Or at least isn't constantly depleting his sleep.

+ Reply to Thread