+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Yearly Marmot - Episode 3

The Yearly Marmot - Episode 3

Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

it was a 100 gold for your lvl 40 mount, unless you we're a paladin or a warlock

I tried to just grind my warrior, which was also my first. I think it was a mix of all 3 talent trees, so never even got to a 31 point talent until a friend showed me near level 60. I think it took me 2 months total to level all the way. That experience is the sole reason why it's so hard for me to level alts, despite what they've done to streamline it and full sets of heirloom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

As we are all in a sharing mood

I started play World of Warcraft a week after the EU launch (had trouble getting my copy delivered), I let the game chose the server for me and as luck would have it I got Azjol Nerub, the same server as my IRL friends. I rolled a Dwarf Warrior named Madolaf (he is currently 86).

Unlike you though Lore I played Arms Warrior all the way as I never really understood "tanking" (at that time). My most noobish moment was getting to level 46 without taking the spell that converted health into rage (Bloodlust?). My thinking was that I needed health and converting it in to rage was a bad idea and left it at that.

I had rolled a Mage named after one of my favourite Terry Pratchett characters (Windlepoons) and I just love the class, I specced fire and stayed as fire even when frost was "the best spec for raiding Molten Core".

These days I spend my time between my Dreanei Paladin, Tauren Paladin and my Pandarian Monk.

Quote Originally Posted by Banhammer72 View Post
    As we are all in a sharing mood
    Unlike you though Lore I played Arms Warrior all the way as I never really understood "tanking" (at that time). My most noobish moment was getting to level 46 without taking the spell that converted health into rage (Bloodlust?). My thinking was that I needed health and converting it in to rage was a bad idea and left it at that.
    OMG, that was all me. I'd get into groups with my warrior friend for dungeons, and we'd only have the two of us as arms, 2 other dps and a poor confused healer. I also didn't take Challenging Shout at the trainer because who the hell wants ALL the monsters on them, amirite? Got yelled at during an SM Cath run for that one....
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreador View Post
    OMG, that was all me. I'd get into groups with my warrior friend for dungeons, and we'd only have the two of us as arms, 2 other dps and a poor confused healer. I also didn't take Challenging Shout at the trainer because who the hell wants ALL the monsters on them, amirite? Got yelled at during an SM Cath run for that one....

I'm so glad you chose this topic for the yearly marmot, it's perfect. Also brings back bittersweet memories of grinding crocolisks on the shore of the swamp of sorrow at 4am because I was level 39. I was a warlock. I was getting my mount. It seemed like a good idea at midnight - I was so close, but I'd ran out of quests, I'd be done in an hour or so, it doesn't matter that I have school in the morning. Hoh boy did those crocolisks take some killing, especially when I'd came upon the genius conclusion that I didn't need shadowbolt, I could just have my voidwalker tank the mobs, MAYBE throw a dot on them and then just wand them - I don't have to spend mana then, genius, right? I stabbed the first few skeletons in tirisifal to death with my sword, as a warlock.

And I enjoyed it, I loved absolutely every second of it.

Oh to be young and naive.

I used to grind turtles, too! In BC as pally when I first started playing (specced ret but with holy gear... mostly cloth) I'd grind turtles for 4-5 levels a clip then go find another stretch of them. Also the elementals in Arathi Highlands for about 10 levels, I think. I quit playing the game at 50 when I couldn't find any more turtles anywhere. And all I'd do was auto-attack; judgement would remove the 30sec buff so I didn't want to use it, and the 30sec buff didn't last long enough for me so I never used it either.

I didn't fall for the game right away, though. I didn't like the art style at first, so that alone caused me to quit several times before I finally made it to 70 on a hunter (fourth character I'd rolled, first three were all paladins). Pvping while trying to do the dailies around Sunwell is what finally got me hooked.

Thanks for telling your story, Lore. That was fun to watch.

My part in that story - I had just server transferred to join Months Behind when Stevez hopped on and promoted Lore to guild master and quit. Honestly, that was a big downer. Up until that point, for the nearly four years WoW had been out, every progressive raiding guild I ever joined broke up within a couple months. I really wanted to be a hardcore raider, so it was incredibly frustrating. Guild leaders quitting is about the biggest guild breaker I had seen.

Luckily, Lore picked up guild leading responsibilities quickly. Between Malsynth leading raids, Urg being perpetually grumpy, and Zalilah wearing her moose hat, the start of Wrath was easily the best time I had in WoW. Even with me holding up the raid during our 25 man 3D Sarth attempts to have dinner every night, we still managed to get server first and world 93rd kill. The only reason we weren't server first Kel'thuzad 25 was because we started on Wednesdays. Towards the end of that content patch Xizta came in to raid with us full time, so I finally got to have some rogue competition. That was a lot of fun, too.

Around the turn of Ulduar I had to move on because of class scheduling conflicts, but I kept Decibelle in Months Behind until mid-firelands. She's been my main again on Shadowsong ever since.

It's been totally cool watching Lore go from surprise guild leader to "e-famous". I really hope he keeps these series going.

To me its odd that someone playing MMOs back then wasn't playing Everquest. Its kind of like being unfamiliar with World of Warcraft today.

All of my nostalgia is EQ - I guess farming wisps for lightstones is the analog to the turtle-farming. The grinds of 'Vanilla EQ' did seem to make anything in Vanilla WoW seem pretty tame by comparison. I was a really awful warrior in WoW too and can remember dying multiple times per quest hub (albeit solo) but was inured to that kind of thing by hours-long corpse runs and mass xp loss on unressed deaths.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobwx77 View Post
    it was a 100 gold for your lvl 40 mount, unless you we're a paladin or a warlock
    Nope .. 100g was for level60 epic mount.

But was about to comment on deaths while leveling.
    Try to level without any heirlooms today.. deaths are not that rare. On 1-20 if you aggro 2 mobs its though ..
    Its heirlooms which made leveling content such a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Daros View Post
    Nope .. 100g was for level60 epic mount.
    It wasn't that way until almost two years into vanilla. From the 1.12.1 (September 2006) patch notes FAQ:

What are the changes to the mounts and riding system?

In a nutshell, the cost of learning to ride a mount and the cost of purchasing a mount have been swapped. Instead of paying 80g for a regular mount (undiscounted) and 20g (undiscounted) to learn riding for that mount, you will pay 20g for a regular mount and 80g to learn the riding skill. Instead of paying 1000g for an epic mount (undiscounted), you will pay 100g (undiscounted) for the epic mount and 1000g (undiscounted) for the riding skill.

Quote Originally Posted by screwzloos View Post
    Towards the end of that content patch Xizta came in to raid with us full time, so I finally got to have some rogue competition. That was a lot of fun, too.
    Hey Deci! Miss ya man, lots of fun times for sure.

Nice story telling Lore. Good to know the story behind your decisions.

However, i must say. I find it kinda hard for you to keep trying to raid heroics on such a short schedule. If you wanna enjoy heroic raiding, i'd say you would need at least something like 6~8 hours schedule in order to progress and complete content(Specially something as long as MoP raiding so far).

Ciderhelm is a dude that had kinda the same thought that you are having on your decision to step away from a 3 night schedule raiding, his reasons beign different(and even the game, different), but the idea was kinda the same.

I agree with you. I am still pretty passionate about this game and MMOs in general(i'm passionate about communities, to be honest), but having 24 years now and having to care about my life in the future made me to grab a full time job as a cop(i'm not american, don't worry :P).

Still, i'm a heroic raider, and on my time off(i have 6~8 hours of work schedule on a daily basis), i still have plenty of time to raid, specially on weekends. I was until recently raiding on a very old Weekend guild community. They have over a 10 hour raiding schedule during weekend(Something like Friday raiding beginning at 11 pm and ending at 3 am, sat raiding taking 5 hours from the day and sunday another 4 hours). I believe that weekend guild can be just as serious about raiding as normal ones. I've watched your stream for long hours and noticed that you're actualy a guy that likes to play games until really late night. Perhaps you should try to find people like you and try to raid at least a 6 hour week schedule(something like sat/sunday, or fri/sat).

Well, the decision is yours, just my thoughts on your problem with having to reduce to a 4 hour week raiding on one day. I wish you the best on your new journey being a "filthy casual" and hope to keep looking into your content in the future(we want that yearly marmot number 4).

I enjoyed this yearly marmot the most so far, mostly because it was all world of warcraft related. However, one request - Can you just not say anything instead of end up saying "I can't really talk about that"? It always make me extremely curious

Great episode, keep them coming.

That was an awesome ride Lore. Watched the whole thing and it really brought back memories. The highs of vanilla and TBC, all the way to the weird and horrible changes after Ulduar. That was a really good 1:22 minutes.

You're a hell of a broadcaster; likeable, knowledged and well, "you have a face for television." Think of it like that, the youtube and social media thing is just a weird transition back into the reality of normal media. I've heard you say, "My niece is driving now, I feel so old..." LOL, 29 is a baby! I'm 9 years older and still look at the world like a kid. Don't lose that spark and you'll be fine.
    Last edited by Primernova; 11-17-2012 at 07:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Primernova View Post
    That was an awesome ride Lore. Watched the whole thing and it really brought back memories. The highs of vanilla and TBC, all the way to the weird and horrible changes after Ulduar. That was a really good 1:22 minutes.

You're a hell of a broadcaster; likeable, knowledged and well, "you have a face for television." Think of it like that, the youtube and social media thing is just a weird transition back into the reality of normal media. I've heard you say, "My niece is driving now, I feel so old..." LOL, 29 is a baby! I'm 9 years older and still look at the world like a kid. Don't lose that spark and you'll be fine.
    Also, as an AO player. Give a little love to Secret World. A very underrated MMO.

/apache

Quote Originally Posted by Primernova View Post
    Also, as an AO player. Give a little love to Secret World. A very underrated MMO.

/apache
    One last final...

Use your set, or make a new one, w/e.

Your reactions are gold, split screen the reviews.

I started watching it with absolutely no intention of watching all 82 minutes of it. 82 minutes later I was glad I stayed. Here I was thinking I was the worst World of Warcraft player in the history of the game when I started in BC. Thank you for giving the community a different perspective from a well respected member of the community. How often we tend to forget how bad we all were when we started playing. Maybe the next nub we run into in a 5 man will be next expansion's Heroic Raid content author. Always love watching and listening. Here is hoping the interwebs will be filled with that fro for years to come.

+ Reply to Thread