+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Terrace of Endless Spring - Protectors of the Endless (Elite)

Terrace of Endless Spring - Protectors of the Endless (Elite)

Quote Originally Posted by Lore
    Welcome back to the Tier 14 Raid Guide. My name is Lore, and this video will cover the 25-Man Normal Elite version of the Protectors of the Endless encounter. This is a three-phase council-style fight that's very similar to the Iron Council from Ulduar. It only requires 1 tank, although two can be used if you find it necessary, and I recommend 6 healers.

The Elite version of the encounter simply means killing Protector Kaolan last. As a result, you'll end up dealing with a few different abilities than you normally would on a regular kill. However, you're rewarded with some higher item level gear than you would otherwise have access to. On top of that, the fight really isn't significantly more difficult than a regular kill. In fact, I'd honestly recommend giving the Elite version a try even if you haven't killed Protectors yet on Normal. So, I'll be treating this as a complete guide and cover every mechanic, including those you'd see in a non-elite kill.

The Protectors of the Endless are composed of three mobs: Protector Kaolan, Elder Regail, and Elder Asani. We'll be killing Elder Regail first. While all three Protectors are still alive, each of them will only be casting a couple of abilities.

Elder Regail will attempt to cast a Lightning Bolt on the tank as much as possible. This deals a pretty massive amount of Nature damage, but can be interrupted, and since we're killing him first, there should be plenty of interrupts available to make sure that this never casts. As long as he's interrupted, his melee attacks are very weak, so the damage he does to the tank will be negligible.

Regail will also cast Lightning Prison every so often. This will randomly target 5 members of the raid and stun them, dealing some nature damage every second to them and anyone standing within 7 yards. For this reason, it's important for ranged DPS and healers to stay spread out. Also, the debuff can and should be dispelled as quickly as possible once it goes out.

Elder Asani is another caster. He'll cast Water Bolt at random players pretty regularly. This does a small amount of Nature damage that splashes to anyone within 3 yards of his target. So, again, make sure to be spread out. This can also be interrupted if you like, but as the damage isn't too big of a deal this early on in the fight, I recommend focusing as much DPS as possible on getting Regail down first and just healing through the Water Bolt damage for now. However, any ranged DPS with interrupts can use focus macros to easily interrupt him without having to change targets.

His other ability is Cleansing Waters. He'll cast this on the ground underneath any of the three protectors. After a few seconds, it will explode and begin healing any of the bosses that are standing on top of it for 5% of their health per second. The easiest way to deal with this is to just move the bosses out of the Cleansing Waters whenever it's cast, making sure to interrupt them so they continue moving. If for whatever reason you're unable to get them out in time, the healing effect can and should be dispelled immediately.

Protector Kaolan only has one ability: Touch of Sha. He'll cast this on a random raid member every 20 seconds or so. This is a damage over time effect that lasts until Kaolan is killed -- and since we're killing him last, that means it'll be up for the entire fight. By the end of the encounter, most or all of your raid members will likely have Touch of Sha on them. This is just something that needs to be healed through. On top of Touch of Sha, Kaolan just plain hits hard. He'll be dealing the vast majority of the damage to the tank, so the tank should be intelligent about using cooldowns whenever possible.

So Phase 1 is pretty simple. Tank picks up the protectors, nuke down Regail, interrupt Lightning Bolt and stay spread out at range. This is basically the same as the normal version of the encounter. Once Regail is dead, both Kaolan and Asani will heal back to full and gain a new ability. Note that they'll continue casting their phase 1 abilities, so you'll have to deal with those on top of the new ones, although obviously Regail won't be casting anything anymore.. At this point, DPS should switch to Asani and begin interrupting Water Bolt if you weren't already.

Kaolan's new ability is Defiled Ground. This is pretty straightforward: he'll spawn a small void zone beneath a random raid member that you'll need to move out of. Since everyone should still be spread out just in case a Water Bolt cast gets through, this shouldn't be too big of a deal. However, these void zones will last the rest of the fight, so be intelligent about where you place them. Try to stand near an existing void zone, obviously without touching it, so that they overlap as much as possible.

Asani's new ability is a bit trickier. He'll summon a globe of Corrupted Waters in the center of the room. While this is active, the bosses' melee and casting speed is increased by 50% -- so, this is a good time for the tank to pop a cooldown. DPS will need to switch over and kill it quickly. When it dies, it will actually give everyone within 15 yards a 25% haste buff, essentially like a mini-Bloodlust. Ranged DPS will want to move in just as it's about to die before spreading back out to make sure to pick up the buff for some extra damage. Note that under no circumstances should anyone stay on the center area where the globe spawns any longer than they have to, to avoid having Kaolan spawn too many Defiled Grounds in that area.

Aside from that, it's just like the first phase. Continue interrupting Water Bolt as much as possible and make sure to move the bosses out of the Cleansing Waters. Once Elder Asani is dead, Protector Kaolan will heal himself to full, gain another ability, and phase 3 will begin.

Kaolan's Phase 3 ability is called Expel Corruption. He casts this every 40 seconds exactly. It'll create an orb at his current location that deals a heavy amount of AoE shadow damage within a large radius -- you can easily see the range by a white circle around the orb. This is actually really easy to deal with -- just run like hell whenever he starts casting. You'll want to have the tank immediately move him to the very outside edge of the room when the phase starts, to make sure there's as much space as possible, and then just kite him around the edges.

As long as you deal with Expel Corruption properly, the only damage anyone other than the tank will be taking is from Touch of Sha, which actually makes this phase fairly straightforward to deal with. He'll of course continue summoning Defiled Grounds, but as long as you're intelligent about where you place them, those really aren't that big of a deal. At this point just burn Kaolan down as quickly as possible, and as long as you've got the raw throughput to make it happen, you'll score yourself a kill.
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

Won't the stacking debuff from Defiled Ground be a problem to the tank if you're solo-tanking it?

if you stand in it, yeah. you gotta not tunnel when those are a thing, especially at the end. if you're sharp you can get out of them before they tick, but usually one tick won't do you in.

there's actually a small snip in this video that aids the length of the script, but the cut is the part where lore died from standing in it and i taunted the boss while he was rezzed, which is why Grid shows me as dead after that cut whoops!

(this is actually his first time tanking this fight - i kinda threw him to the wolves )
    there are no problems, just sometimes reactions.

SHUT UP RICK

Good job Rick. You keep making him earn his spot.

Tankspot Moderator
    Twitter: Follow me on Twitter! @Krenian

"Damnit!" - Jack Bauer, 24

Well, as I tanked it I instantly got a stack of the debuff when the defile ground came

You say that he can put defiled ground under any random raid member but I've only seen him put it under his current tank, including in your video? Is that all just coincidence or did you misspeak?

That was a bit of misinformation on my part. I misunderstood the mechanic. It will only spawn under his current tank, so you need to move out of it quickly.

That does mean that the tank will continue to get the stacking debuff, but as long as they're not standing in the thing, that's pretty easily managed.

So there is no way for solo tanking it and manage to remove the debuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Morêgrím View Post
    So there is no way for solo tanking it and manage to remove the debuff?
    Ranged-taunting?

He will put it under the feet of anyone who has aggro, dosn't matter how far away the person is from him

Wouldn't the debuff expire if the boss is not close to the tank though?

It lasts for 1.25 minuets, so anyone else then a tank would have some problems holding aggro from the boss the time it takes to expire. Tho I don't know if he runs too fast to be kited by a paladin or DK with a movement speed increasing effect.

We haven't found it necessary to remove the debuff. Again, unless the tank isn't paying attention and just stands in the thing (cough) the damage doesn't get too excessive.

Alternatively you could just use a second tank.

Something to keep in mind when you're kiting Protector Kaolan around the room is not to use the small area in front of the stairs leading up to Lei Shi. If Protector Kaolan enters that little area, he will despawn, and the fight will reset.

What is the addon u use the ui action bar mode called?

+ Reply to Thread