+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PST - Episode 102

PST - Episode 102

This week:
    0:16 - Would LFR work better if it reset on a different day?
    3:51 - Should Blizzard get rid of gathering professions entirely?
    8:14 - Could there be a "Heroic" difficulty version for LFR?
    11:08 - How do you feel about Brawler's Guild's ties to the BMAH?
    15:25 - Will future 10-man raids only require 2 healers for every encounter?
    22:41 - Would Tier 14 be smoother if all three raids had the same item level?
    26:14 - How is MoP's push for more world PvP affected by faction imbalance?
    31:49 - Should Rated BG's be required to completely cap out Conquest points?
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

I think people are hugely overreacting to the BMAH Brawler's Guild invite system. In a few weeks or a few months, supply will exceed demand and invitations will cost, at most, whatever the BMAH minimum bid is (I've heard 1000g, but I'm not sure). People are speculating about AH mavens buying all of the invitations and throwing them away, or reselling their one invite for more than they paid for it; these people clearly don't understand either basic economics, how the BMAH works, or both.

That said, I think Blizzard will probably change how they're distributing invitations, not least because it goes against the nature of Fight Club (which had an anti-capitalist message) to be exclusive through money. It might have been more acceptable if they hadn't given it any Fight Club trappings and just made it its own brand of underground fighting club.

I'm on the 'wait and see' side of Brawlers guild myself.

ATM, i have a lot of things that I want to do but couldnt because there are things I need to focus on my main at the moment.
    Reputation grind will be over in a week and then I will only have to do the dailies for achieves (shado-pan achieves left) and i can do all the other things I wanted to do.
    I haven't touched pet battles too much yet but want to, I'd like to run some BGs to get my arena team started and I'd like to get my alts leveled up as well.

I won't be able to brawlers guild for a while anyways so being gated (somewhat) does not bother me.

Brawler's guild isnt the ONLY thing coming with 5.1, and I personally think people should chill out a bit

LFR Reset Day -- If the goal is to have your raiding team farm LFR prior to the progression raid night, why not move the progression raid night from Tuesday to Wednesday. To quote Lore, 'No one is putting a gun to your head' to do your progression raiding on Tuesday.

Take a step back and ask instead, 'What is the motivation for progression raiding on Tuesday?'. I'm pretty sure Blizzard remembers the time in vanilla when some raids reset every seven days and other raids reset every five days and was a total mess. Is the simplicity of having everything reset on the same day -- something that is a benefit to every player in the game -- outweigh the complexity of having different things reset on different days for raiders that are too stubborn to move their progression raid night from Tuesday to a later day in the week?

-HP

Quote Originally Posted by hp2 View Post
    LFR Reset Day -- If the goal is to have your raiding team farm LFR prior to the progression raid night, why not move the progression raid night from Tuesday to Wednesday. To quote Lore, 'No one is putting a gun to your head' to do your progression raiding on Tuesday.

Take a step back and ask instead, 'What is the motivation for progression raiding on Tuesday?'. I'm pretty sure Blizzard remembers the time in vanilla when some raids reset every seven days and other raids reset every five days and was a total mess. Is the simplicity of having everything reset on the same day -- something that is a benefit to every player in the game -- outweigh the complexity of having different things reset on different days for raiders that are too stubborn to move their progression raid night from Tuesday to a later day in the week?

-HP
    Motivation on raiding on patch day: Be the first on your server to kill a boss. The sooner you start, the sooner you kill.

And there is a difference between "raid reset on different days in the week" and "raid resets on a convoluted shedule that only resyncs once every 15 weeks". The second is actually more akin to the old 20/23h reset of profession cooldowns, slowly moving around the clock every day. What is proposed here is more like Tiller & daily resets as they are now, on different moments, but at the same rate.

Personally, I would love a LFR reset every Friday, means I got a fresh one as the weekend starts, keeps it simple to remember if I did 'em or not (yes, I'm lazy), and if I don't have time, atleast I'll be able to squeeze them in during the week without losing my shot at extra loot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Protection Warrior Spreadsheet

Along the same lines as Lore's last question, I'd like to think that a LFR analog for PvP could actually work.

You'd have a separate rating for that, which goes up and down with wins and losses as usual. When queued, you are grouped into random battlegrounds with and against balanced groups of other players with similar ratings. Have a new middle tier of PvP gear beneath the conquest gear, but above the normal honor gear, which is also purchasable with honor but requires sufficient "Random Rating". No group queuing so organized groups can't wreck randoms.

One tricky part would be to account for poor or uncooperative players, but I think leaving the battleground early or getting kicked (via consensus like LFR) could count as a loss for that player and not be a big deal. The issue where a group of individuals could all queue at the same time to end up getting in together (like in vanilla) would have to be addressed as well, but that shouldn't be too hard to fix.

I don't PvP at all right now because regular randoms are *too random* and I don't care enough to build a real team for RBG. That said, I'd be interested in this - just like LFR. I suppose the same could work for arenas, but small-team class balance would have to be improved a bit or it would matter too much who you're grouped with.

Any thoughts?

Motivation on raiding on patch day: Be the first on your server to kill a boss. The sooner you start, the sooner you kill.
    I have lost count of the amount of raids that have had to be cancelled because of patch-day issues. The old adage "never raid on patch day" is as true today as it was 8 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Airowird View Post
    How many 3AM guilds exist on a server? For guilds that raid on Tuesday evening, do they require their raiders to log on an hour before the raid to knock out LFR?

I don't understand why people simply can't treat their LFR upgrades for a given week to be a bonus for the following week -- if I personally schedule my life so that I progression raid on Tuesdays and Thursdays and run my weekly LFR on Friday, any LFR upgrades I get on Friday will help me progress *next Tuesday*. I'm not getting gear any faster by moving my LFR from Friday to early on Tuesday -- I still get a week's worth of LFR gear upgrades once a week to help me progression raid the following week.

Right now all raids reset on Tuesday at 3AM; it is very simple. I don't see the value in adding the complexity of multiple raid resets to accommodate people who can't schedule their own lives.

-HP

Quote Originally Posted by hp2 View Post
    Right now all raids reset on Tuesday at 3AM; it is very simple. I don't see the value in adding the complexity of multiple raid resets to accommodate people who can't schedule their own lives.

-HP
    Incorrect. Raids reset at 11AM pacific/2PM eastern, when few raiding guilds are actually able to raid (because people are at work). Most raiding guilds will begin raiding as soon as possible (ie: when their roster is online) after that reset.
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

If they are going to continuously put invitations on the BMAH its not going to be a big deal. If they only put them up at a decent rate at the start then that could be an issue.

Nothing about it solves the principal problem and problem with dailies that somehow people miss - all of these issues are exacerbated on high pop servers. I would argue that high pop servers are the only ones where finding guilds/pugs is truly viable for people with real jobs so you're forced to choose between having a chance to raid on the server and being miserable doing dailies and having no shot of using a feature like brawler's guild vs moving to a server where finding pugs/new guilds as schedules shift is virtually impossible but at least things that are non-instanced are tolerable.

Brawlers needs to stay small at first and maybe phase for different ranks. The wait to do one round of it would be insane if everyone was trying to do it at once. I feel the invite should be account bound so that invites make it other players. Another reason to keep it small is lag, because not all WoW players have top of the line computers or T1 internet. If people want they can grief others and make they die by using very flashy spells in large numbers.

On the question of 10-man raids requiring 2 healers for every encounter, I hope not as it would be boring. In 10 man DS there were plenty of 1 tank fights. If tanks are expected to have viable DPS why not Healers.

Quote Originally Posted by Gulaag View Post
    Brawlers needs to stay small at first and maybe phase for different ranks. The wait to do one round of it would be insane if everyone was trying to do it at once. I feel the invite should be account bound so that invites make it other players. Another reason to keep it small is lag, because not all WoW players have top of the line computers or T1 internet. If people want they can grief others and make they die by using very flashy spells in large numbers.
    "First rule of Fight Club is – you do not talk about Fight Club."

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    Incorrect. Raids reset at 11AM pacific/2PM eastern
    I stand corrected. Not sure if it has changed again, but according to my in-game calendar, my raid resets at 7:59 AM PST on Tuesday (PST server).

-HP

+ Reply to Thread