+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mogu'shan Vaults - Spirit Kings

Mogu'shan Vaults - Spirit Kings

Quote Originally Posted by Solarflair
    Hello and welcome to Tankspot's Mogu'shan Vaults raid guide. My name is Solarflair and today I will be walking you through the 10-man normal Spirit Kings encounter.

The Spirit Kings are a council based encounter that gets progressively harder the further you delve into it. Each King you vanquish will keep one of their primary abilties and will use it while you are fighting another.

The Warlord King, Qiang, always activates first, and has three important abilities you need to watch out for. The first one you encounter is going to be Massive Attacks. It's a cleave attack that splits 800,000 damage between the players hit. You'll need to make sure your positioning is always good for this, as you can imagine, this could come very close to one-shotting people if not handled properly. This positioning is going to be very important regarding the next two abilities.

Annihilate is going to follow after one of Qiang's Massive Attacks, it looks identical to Warmaster Blackhorn's Shockwave, and it will one shot anyone unfortunate enough to stand in its path. The best way to deal with this is to have everyone run right through Qiang, this way when he finishes Annihilate, everyone is stacked back up for the next Massive Attack.

However Qiang is periodically going cast Flanking Orders, causing one side of the room to animate with Mogu soliders who strafe the area, instantly killing anyone caught in their path. Chances are, you are going to have to move him at some point. Make sure your raid is always in front of him when you reposition though, you don't want one or two players being the only ones getting clipped if he Massive Attacks and kills them. This is the ability Qiang retains throughout the entire fight, so always keep a lookout.

Now the spawn order is random, any of the three remaining bosses can activate, so I'll detail what went on during this particular attempt.

Next we got the Mad King, Meng the Demented. During your time with Meng, he will switch between two stances. His Crazed stance causes him to deal more damage the higher his insanity is, and his Cowardice stance reflects damage the higher his insanity is.

Let's talk stances really quick. On this attempt, Meng started out with Crazed. Remember, the more insanity he has has, the harder he hits. His insanity builds over time, but he also casts Crazy Thought that increases his insanity by 10. You want to keep him as low as you can as long as you can, so this means interrupt every Crazy Thought until he reaches 50 insanity. At this point he starts to hurt and you want to push him through this as fast as you can, so let Crazy Thought go through so you can transition him into the next stance. The same goes for Cowardice, you don't want a ton of damage being reflected back at you for a long period of time.

Lastly, Meng will cast Maddening Shout, which causes everyone to turn on each other while also putting a nasty DoT on them for the duration they are turned. You must deal 40,000 damage to a player in order to break them out, so have your AoE's at the ready and be stacked together for maximum efficiency. Please note though that you do not want to DoT these players up, as they come out with the DoT still on and this is extra work for your healers to do. This is the ability Meng retains through the duration of the encounter.

Next the Sorcerer King Zian was summoned.
    Zian's main ability is going to be Undying Shadows, which puts a debuff on a player that causes a skull to link to them. It does a ticking damage AoE to any player within 10 yards of the skull, so it must be kited out of the raid and killed. When it dies, it drops a Coalescing Shadows, which looks like Defile. Just make sure not to stand in it, and after 30 seconds, the puddle dries up and reanimates back to a Undying Shadow. Undying Shadows is the ability Zian will retain throughout the encounter.

He will also cast Shadow Blast, it targets a random players and blasts the area within 8 yards for 100,000 damage, thankfully this is interruptable and should be, as it alleviates some stress on your healers.

Zian also casts Charged Shadows, it targets a random player for moderate damage and chains to anyone within 8 yards, make sure your ranged and healers are spread out accordingly.yyy

Lastly we had the Bandit King, Subetai.
    Subetai also has three important abilties you need to watch out for.

He will periodically cast Volley, which is a large cleave of arrows that slowly gets smaller per volley Subetai fires, as they get smaller, the damage they do increases. Be sure to sidestep out of this on your closest way to safety.

Subetai also fires Rain of Arrows at a random player, this will pin anyone to the ground within 8 yards rendering them incapable of play until another player breaks them out. While the arrow(s) are on a player, they will deal a fair amount of damage per second to them so it is important to switch to these immediately to break them out.

He will also target a random player and begin to Pillage in this area. If you are caught in the Pillage for too long, you will get a debuff that will reduce your damage and healing by 50% and increase damage taken by 50% - it has a fairly small range so you can easily get out with a quick reaction time. Subetai keeps this ability for the rest of the fight.

The key to this encounter is all about keeping your cool and prioritizing the most potent abilities in order as you fight the last king, as things can get a little hectic. Make sure you're always stacked for Maddening Shout and you should expect nothing but smooth sailing during the last phase.
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

Side note since I'm sure a lot of you are probably wondering: I'm still working on getting more video guide authors. There was a LOT of interest and there are unfortunately rather few of me. The process of getting through and contacting applicants is taking a lot longer than I'd hoped.
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    Side note since I'm sure a lot of you are probably wondering: I'm still working on getting more video guide authors. There was a LOT of interest and there are unfortunately rather few of me. The process of getting through and contacting applicants is taking a lot longer than I'd hoped.
    Make more of you! Simple process, talk to Feng maybe he can help!
    www.blessthemartyrguild.com

Let me know what you guys think of this style as opposed to Gara'jal.

Quote Originally Posted by Solarflair View Post
    I like this much better, those huge pauses were terrible. That's not to say it's passing yet, as you missed the opportunity to give out important tips, such as the ability to blink, HoF, etc out of the arrow. Once you get those in, you'll have a true guide and not a glorified reading of the dungeon journal.

I think giving tips such as when to use raid cds, lust etc will really be beneficial....in addition things like using cds past 60-70 of Meng being crazed and the using healing cds to continue to interrupt the cowardice past 50 will make a more complete guide. As kagitaar stated it just seemed like a kill video while reading the dungeon journal.
    www.blessthemartyrguild.com

Subetai also fires Rain of Arrows at a random player, this will pin anyone to the ground within 8 yards rendering them incapable of play until another player breaks them out. While the arrow(s) are on a player, they will deal a fair amount of damage per second to them so it is important to switch to these immediately to break them out.
    Remember to move away from one-another when he does Rain of Arrows, especially if you have already killed Meng the Demented and have stacked up for his Maddening Shout. If it hits a clump of players they will all get stunned, and if they happen to be stacked near the tank because of the mind control, the tank will also be hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Fetzie View Post
    Remember to move away from one-another when he does Rain of Arrows, especially if you have already killed Meng the Demented and have stacked up for his Maddening Shout. If it hits a clump of players they will all get stunned, and if they happen to be stacked near the tank because of the mind control, the tank will also be hit.
    Thank you Fetzie for giving a perfect example of what I was talking about.

I do think that the Gara'jal guide was better. Yes the pauses seemed awkward but it made sure that we got to see the exact mechanic when you we're explaining it. I do however think (like allready mentioned) some small tips in the pauses will be of good use (for example a mistweaver monk using Touch of Death in the gara'jal spirit world to oneshot an add and let of 2 massive heals)
    also, this might just be me, but if you mention how hard you think the encounter is compared to something else in the tier gives us a better understanding of what to expect.

+ Reply to Thread