+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Protection Paladin Stats Question.

Protection Paladin Stats Question.

As a Protection Paladin, I was wondering wether or not after hit and expertise are at 7.5%, you can go after parry / dodge directly and still be viable as a tank in MSV and HoF. I beg your indulgence for a moment because guides on noxxic and elsewhere say they're is a "surivival path" through not hard capping expertise, and going for parry/mastery.

Noxxic is not a particularily trust worth site for tanking information. you probably want to hard cap expertise, after that you can kinda muddle through with haste/mastery/parry/dodge
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

7.5% hit
    then
    15% expertise
    then
    Haste = stamina (if 25 man raiding)
    then
    Mastery = stamina (if 10 man raiding)
    then
    The rest

While it is true that dodge and parry reduce your total damage taken, haste and mastery reduce the chance of a large damage spike by smoothing the incoming damage out.
    Last edited by Fetzie; 11-29-2012 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fetzie View Post
    7.5% hit
    then
    15% expertise
    then
    Haste = Stamina
    then
    Mastery
    then
    The rest

While it is true that dodge and parry reduce your total damage taken, haste and mastery reduce the chance of a large damage spike by smoothing the incoming damage out.
    thank you for clearing this up for me, much appreciated. (:

Quote Originally Posted by Fetzie View Post
    7.5% hit
    then
    15% expertise
    then
    Haste = Stamina
    then
    Mastery
    then
    The rest

I have been following MrRobot as far as enchants and geming. Should I be geming pure stam then trying to reach caps with reforges like MrRobot is suggesting? Or would it be better to bring in some expertise/stam gems to up my exp?

Any other recommendations are welcome.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...mordius/simple

If you can hit the hit/exp caps by reforging dodge/parry/mastery, then it is indeed better to gem stamina, because you can not get that anywhere else. In the end, this basicly allows you to reforge those stats into Stamina, be it indirectly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

I think the key is to hit the caps with reforges first, then gems as necessary. Then you can fill whatever is left ove with stam-etc.
    "he doens't need healing, he doesn't need healing, he doesn't nee-WHAOSHIT!wtf was that man!". Please stop leaning on TDR. -Teng

I try to avoid gemming expertise and hit where possible. I'll be adding a bit to the Guide about how haste makes Sacred Shield even more awesome over the weekend.

I just got Lei Shin's Final Orders, a haste trinket with a strength proc. Should I use it?

Here's the armory:

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...C3%A8/advanced

I'm pairing the Charioteer with the trinket from Shado'pan reputation right now. The strength proc isn't really going to do anything for you other than make you hit things harder.

It also gives some parry, though not as much as a normal trinket on use/proc

Since I have mostly heroic dungeon gear (save a few valor, LFR and a couple crafted items), It's very handy to finally find a definitive answer on these stats. I'm struggling to hit the expertise cap right now, so I'm focusing on the soft cap until I get better gear, then going for haste and stam. Mastery I've noticed helps me not get hit often, but when I do get hit, I get hit pretty hard. I know that strength items give parry, so I try not to reforge into parry or gem for it. Seems like dodge is also plentiful.

But I do have one question, what is a good cut-off for values on how much dodge/parry to take away in reforging?
    I'm currently sitting at 8.92% dodge and 17.83% parry and I feel like it's a tad low, but I'm not 100% certain

My target is at least 25% total dodge and parry, but there is no math basis for that. It's a total feel good value for me and I don't feel very easy to kill. One comment I will make: I do disagree with Fetzie's stat weights (the one placing STA 3rd). I more agree with Thecks suggestion of still prioritizing Stam when working towards hit/exp cap. In 463 level gear, I can get pretty close to 7.5% hit and expertise and still have good stamina by choosing STA enchants and making sure all my gems have some STA on them and just reforging dodge into hit/exp. I feel that is a good balance until you have the gear to focus on hard cap expertise without sacrificing noticeable stamina levels.

EDIT: I am not saying Fetzie is wrong, but I find in my own experience that stamina is still important at lower gear levels while still working on those caps. It's only based on my experience though.

Yeah, I'm going to redo that stat weighting in favour of Haste for ten man raiding, Theck uses a lot of stamina, but then he is raiding 25H where the tank damage is quite a bit higher then ten man (even 10H).

My stats are currently (unbuffed, with SoI active):

532k life
    7.50% hit (2551 rating)
    15.01% expertise (5103 rating)
    12.88% melee haste (5474 rating)
    24.17% spell haste (enough for the 7th Sacred Shield tick with the 5% raid buff added on)
    11.73% mastery (2236 rating)
    6.64% dodge (1306 rating)
    16.56% parry (430 rating)

Seems like I need more haste....a lot more haste. Lol

At this point, my gear isnt fantastic, as I said mostly heroic dungeon gear (just started to raid, and I had a few LFR items)

I noticed that most of your gear Fetzie looks like dps gear. Is that what I should be going for and not using tokens to buy items with dodge and parry on them? I'm still rather new to figuring out paladin stats, as I'm only just now starting to raid tank as a pally. (I was usually healing)
    "Oh my god shoes."

You'll be wanting the 4piece Tier 14 bonus, which piece you swap out is largely up to you, but I would recommend non-set chest or legs. You won't be getting any haste if you don't use dps gear

http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/e...blade/fraggoji

enough said

I have followed his lead in gearing and had absolutley no issues, being told I was extremely easy to heal yada yada.

As a rule of thumb look to the leaders at your class for hints as to the direction you should take your gearing, as in forums you will get a lot of conflicting OPINIONS. Simply said a prodigy at thier class could feel right tanking in heal gear. Doesn't make it the right path for the majority of other players.

Quote Originally Posted by shooz View Post
    Seems like I need more haste....a lot more haste. Lol

At this point, my gear isnt fantastic, as I said mostly heroic dungeon gear (just started to raid, and I had a few LFR items)

I noticed that most of your gear Fetzie looks like dps gear. Is that what I should be going for and not using tokens to buy items with dodge and parry on them? I'm still rather new to figuring out paladin stats, as I'm only just now starting to raid tank as a pally. (I was usually healing)
    dodge and parry can be mostly ignored. if it has haste and another stat it is a tank peice. if it has hit and another stat it is a tank peice, if it has mastery and another stat it is a tank peice, if it has expertise and another stat it is a tank peice. You simply reforge the "wasted" stat off and treat it as added dammage = threat to get your numbers in line with where they belong.

Quote Originally Posted by Judgement View Post
    http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/e...blade/fraggoji

enough said

I have followed his lead in gearing and had absolutley no issues, being told I was extremely easy to heal yada yada.

As a rule of thumb look to the leaders at your class for hints as to the direction you should take your gearing, as in forums you will get a lot of conflicting OPINIONS. Simply said a prodigy at thier class could feel right tanking in heal gear. Doesn't make it the right path for the majority of other players.

Be aware that looking at top end raiders and copying their gear strategy does have it's pitfalls, as top end raiders will gear for specific encounters and hard tank encounters will require a different setup to what is optimal for msot other encounters, Sha of fear HC requires a fuckton of stamina to survive his thrash attack.
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    Be aware that looking at top end raiders and copying their gear strategy does have it's pitfalls, as top end raiders will gear for specific encounters and hard tank encounters will require a different setup to what is optimal for msot other encounters, Sha of fear HC requires a fuckton of stamina to survive his thrash attack.
    granted. I was answering based on normal gearing not boss specific where it is common knowledge that you will some times be forced to tweak your gear in one direction or another to meet the requirements of the fight. picking ONE boss out of 16 and stating it as a reason to gear a particular way would be moronic at best.

LAWFUL GOOD DOES NOT ALWAYS MEAN LAWFUL NICE !!!

+ Reply to Thread