+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Scrolling Combat Text?

Scrolling Combat Text?

Are there any good SCT variants out there? The default UI stuff just isn't cutting it for me.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Have you tried MSBT? It's fairly customizable...honestly, scrolling combat texts are kind of overrated...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravy
    Any plan that doesn't call for the end of the world or the extinction of the human race isn't a good plan

MSBT is about the only good one right now. There's one or two more but they don't have as much functionality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

I use SCT + SCTD because I'm used to it and it does about all I want it to do.
    MSBT seems decent enough though, maybe I'll try it out as well
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

I see these done so they look good in vids and decide I want to install it and set it up again and it usually takes less than a week before I realize there is too much for me to pay attention to and I'm not ever seeing the numbers anyways and uninstall again.

Last time I seriously tanked I set it up so that healing came in on a left column and damage came in on a right column. It was really nice to be able to see who was healing me and for how much and how much damage I was taking in real time and splitting them up like that really enabled me to actually pay attention to it instead of there being this giant CF of numbers coming out of my character's ass or flooding the screen over my character (the only two options for the default UI ATM).

I will give MSBT a shot.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Hmm, that sounds like a pro idea. I had it so outgoing damage was on the right and incoming / heals on the left. I just set the default combat text to show outgoing and split the two, took about 5 minutes.

Yeah, that's the "setup" I was referring to. I usually set it up so that incoming heals are on one side and incoming damage on the other. I may also set it up so outgoing crits are above my head.

Even with that, however, watching for fire, watching for raid positioning, watching timers, watching rotation, watching hp/resources of me and the raid, watching for LoH, or Hand of Sacrifice, etc targets....well, those MSBT numbers just end up as clutter that I'm not really seeing. I agree that if there was enough attention bandwidth that would be interesting info to have on the fly, I just find that with a paladin utility, I have too many other things to watch.

I do also tank with a DK, warrior and bear. For them, without so many abilities I can use on others, I might have more room to watch the numbers, but I find that I'm not used to it because I mostly tank on my pally and as interesting as it might be, it doesn't really change the way I play much. I suppose I could get used to popping a cd if the green stream starts to slack off a little but for the most part, the info is not actionable info for me.

MSBT helped because it helps me pay attention to my procs (as arms warrior and frost mage) better than default SCT. The configuration you mentioned for tanking sounds great next time I decide I feel like tanking lol. And a personal bit for pvp, I set my killing blow notification to ring the karazhan bell sound clip each time I get a killing blow in pvp. It's more for motivation because I'm like "hell yeah kmf (killamofo)!" Don't worry on my warrior I fc (I've turned the tide of some WSGs doing that).

I would suggest MSBT too.

MSBT - I have it set up so that the incoming damage is on the left and healing on the right, they scroll in an arc around the center of the screen. Also has sound variations which for healing I have set so I know when I crit a heal and have a speed of light proc. Since I'm healing most of the time I disable the incoming damage text and just leave our going heals scrolling so I see who I'm healing for how much. Very customizable.

I wish msbt could separate crit blocks so I could add a sound for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreador View Post
    I wish msbt could separate crit blocks so I could add a sound for that.
    Would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post
    Would be nice.
    Got to be something that WoW has to sort out, if my guess is correct. I don't think the combat log actually separates crit blocks from blocks, aside from showing 60% damage in parentheses instead of 30%. Hmmm.

+ Reply to Thread