+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Windows 8?

Windows 8?

If anyone around gets it, let me know if you enjoy your experiance without a touch screen. im very interested in hearing about how it works

My friend just upgraded from Windows 7 and so far, he seems content with it.
    His biggest peev is probably the menu in the menu in the menu in the Start menu that you need to get to to shut down your PC, he is already eagerly awaiting an app release that puts a Shutdown button straight in the Start menu
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

You don't need an app to get the Shutdown on the Start Screen. Just need to create a shortcut to it, and put that shortcut on the Start Screen.

I've used Windows 8 RTM for awhile, and it works fine without a touch screen. It just takes a little getting used to the new way of doing certain things.

For anyone adverse to the new interface, remember that product called Windows XP? The one we all adored for years and years? The one we feared giving up when Windows Vista/7 revamped the UI slightly?

Well, when XP came out it was despised and hated for it's new UI. It was an abomination to the Windows 95 that was known and loved. It took 4 years before XP was widely adopted... but we all came to love it and can't even imagine using the ancient Win95 interface.

Most people don't remember how hated XP was. Windows 8 is in the same situation. People just need to get used to it.

Here's my thoughts about 8:

It uses slightly less resources than 7 does however the additions to the UI make it a bit more annoying than most transitions. 8 was meant to be touchscreen based, it's as simple as that. Without one, it becomes more annoying than anything. Relearning the UI is fine and dandy but this was really made for something else than a mouse. I never found the transition between window 95 and 7 to be as bad as people think it was.

This transition feels....intrusive is the only word I can really use that conveys what I mean.

This feels like a skipper, like vista was for me.

Tankspot Moderator
    Twitter: Follow me on Twitter! @Krenian

"Damnit!" - Jack Bauer, 24

Quote Originally Posted by joypunk View Post
    You don't need an app to get the Shutdown on the Start Screen. Just need to create a shortcut to it, and put that shortcut on the Start Screen.

I've used Windows 8 RTM for awhile, and it works fine without a touch screen. It just takes a little getting used to the new way of doing certain things.

For anyone adverse to the new interface, remember that product called Windows XP? The one we all adored for years and years? The one we feared giving up when Windows Vista/7 revamped the UI slightly?

Well, when XP came out it was despised and hated for it's new UI. It was an abomination to the Windows 95 that was known and loved. It took 4 years before XP was widely adopted... but we all came to love it and can't even imagine using the ancient Win95 interface.

Most people don't remember how hated XP was. Windows 8 is in the same situation. People just need to get used to it.
    The change from windows 7 to windows 8 is a bit more radical. it was clearly made for a touch sceen and then they added functionality for a mouse. thats fine. i just want to make sure the new interface works just as well with a mouse as it does a touch screen.

i would love it if a company would expand on microsofts "click in" marketing. The biggest issue with convertable laptops is that the hardware sucks.. but it wouldnt be too hard for a company to put an i7 into the "tablet" part of the laptop (IE the screen) and allow the keyboard to act as an external GPU. i would buy this

Toushiro is offline 私はあなたのことをいつも考えています。
    I bought it for my desktop last night after I played around with it on my laptop (not a touch screen laptop) for about 2 weeks, the hot keys they have for Win8 really makes it easier to use then any other windows OS I've used.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    I keep a few steel bars in my home.

It works fine except razer peripherals aren't supported.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Toushiro is offline 私はあなたのことをいつも考えています。
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreador View Post
    It works fine except razer peripherals aren't supported.
    My Razer gear is working fine @_@

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    I keep a few steel bars in my home.

Not supported and not functional are two different things. Not supported means they can't do much troubleshooting. Not functioning means it don't work. Windows 8 can not be supported by Razer but can still be functional.

Tankspot Moderator
    Twitter: Follow me on Twitter! @Krenian

"Damnit!" - Jack Bauer, 24

Do not want it for my desktop, if it's lighter weight in terms of system resources, I might load it onto my netbook, since the freaking thing is piggishly slow with XP on it.

The measure of a life is the measure of love and respect. So hard to earn, so easily burned - Neil Peart

So you want to tell me how to get the anansi software to acknowledge my keyboard?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreador View Post
    So you want to tell me how to get the anansi software to acknowledge my keyboard?
    They updated their synapses software to be windows 8 compatible. i dont think anansi uses synapses tho.

Quote Originally Posted by squats View Post
    They updated their synapses software to be windows 8 compatible. i dont think anansi uses synapses tho.
    Nope, Anansi is specifically off the list, won't be added until sometime in November, officially.

Quote Originally Posted by Airowird View Post
    My friend just upgraded from Windows 7 and so far, he seems content with it.
    His biggest peev is probably the menu in the menu in the menu in the Start menu that you need to get to to shut down your PC, he is already eagerly awaiting an app release that puts a Shutdown button straight in the Start menu
    You can make a Shut down button for the Tiles and you can pin it to the start menu. you can just Google the process and that would help your friends out, well I hope. I'm guessing that's what he is looking for.

I don't have Windows 8 but I have played around with it, to me it's not my cup of tea. I think the new tiles are great for people that just surf the net and check email. Gives them something else to look at the something to pass the time, but if you are fixing the system because something or someone did something that crashed the computer then you would not like it. What I mean by this is:

- It seems like there is 2 of everything.
    - There is a settings menu inside of another one.
    - If you want your printer that you got quite a while ago, its going to take a longer time to get that working.

What i'm trying to say is that if you like to use a computer that you can make it your own, then Windows 8 is the way to go. If you are into fixing computers for a hobby or a business then you might like it or you might hate it. It all up to you.
    My Twitter: www.twitter.com/mbthoms
    My WoW Blog: www.thecreativecraft.wordpress.com

Takes some getting used to, but I'm fine with it. I wanted to upgrade to a 64 bit OS and Windows 7 was no longer to be had when I made the decision, so I was stuck wtih 8. I kind of like it, I find it to be repsonsive and stable.

+ Reply to Thread