+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Prot Warrior Weapon Enchant

Did the migration to RPPM make Colossus suddenly a whole lot better than it had been? AskMrRobot has begun recommending that I swap out River's Song for Colossus and I was kind of shocked by that.

To Clarify: I'm not looking for AMR hand-holding or explanation, just didn't know if there was some under-advertised change to Colossus that I'd missed. The discussion above leads me to think that the RPPM change is at best a wash, possibly slightly negative.
    Last edited by Heladys; 03-15-2013 at 09:13 AM.

Maybe AMR just went wonkers.... oh wait, that ship sailed a long time ago.

Lol - okay, that's always possible.

I use it because it makes the rebalancing calculations on gemming simpler when I get new gear, but yeah I really thought that enchant suggestion was questionable.

Yeah, I don't think I would view Colossus as a viable enchant even if they made it proc 10 times as often as it does right now. It just simply isn't big enough. Don't get me wrong, an absorb is an absorb. But one that only absorbs for 1.5% of my total HP and isn't reliable to be there if you need it just doesn't amount to anything when the name of the game is "Active Mitigation".

Quote Originally Posted by Gregasaurous View Post
    ...Don't get me wrong, an absorb is an absorb. But one that only absorbs for 1.5% of my total HP and isn't reliable to be there if you need it...
    How is that any different from well ... any other enchant? Atleast when Colossus is up you know you're gonna get that 1.5% max HP absorb. With the other enchants, you only have a 1.5% when it's up that it actually did something.

I agree that it's not reliable, but as none of them really are, and Colossus is probably the most reliable of them all.
    On top of that, Colossus has some effect more often than not, so it technicly is the best enchant to reduce the odds of damage spikes (right behind Weapon Chain and before Windsong)
    It is also the only enchant that stops magic damage.

That said, it's TDR is barely half of the other enchants in 10man ToT and I would assume that it's even worse in 25man.
    So unless they'ld make Colossus somehow scale with Vengeance you're probably better off with the either of the 2 high level (and expensive) ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

Hmmm, yes, I should have mentioned that that was entirely my anecdotal opinion. (correct or not) I just don't like the way colossus works in comparison to the other enchants available.

Tbh, I don't like the way a lot of stuff in the game works, but that doesn't stop the math from being correct though

Quote Originally Posted by Airowird View Post
    Tbh, I don't like the way a lot of stuff in the game works, but that doesn't stop the math from being correct though
    Touche. Now it's gotten me thinking, in past expansions, has there been a weapon enchant that we actually really liked as apposed to just going with: "enchant X is mathematically best, if you're cheap enchant Y and Z are viable as well". I guess that's anecdotal as well though since we "like" what best keeps us alive. I guess it just falls into the same category as so many other things in the game that blizzard put in with the intention of us liking it and feeling like we were doing something cool to empower our character, when in fact it's just another chore that if you don't do you're bad.

In cata we had once choice. In wrath it was Mongoose or Blood Draining.
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

Technicly euhm .... Blade Ward was better than Mongoose for warriors iirc. But the proc uptime and average value was so complex people just didn't like it (not to mention the "this buff is removed on a succesful parry" part was kinda counter-intuitive)

Quote Originally Posted by Airowird View Post
    (not to mention the "this buff is removed on a succesful parry" part was kinda counter-intuitive)
    That's the part that made it worse...Goose or Blood Draining, no one was using Blade Ward because it really was bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

I did the math for Warriors back then and BW was actually pretty decent-ish, but it wasn't as cheap as Mongoose and wasn't as reliable or spike-reducing as Blood Draining. But hey, atleast it did damage!!

+ Reply to Thread