+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Prot Warrior - Shield Barrier Question

Prot Warrior - Shield Barrier Question

I am trying to increase the amount my Shield Barrier absorbs for Prot warrior PVP (specifically for caster/magic heavy teams).

The tooltip for Shield Barrier States

"Raise your shield, absorbing x damage for the next 6 sec.

Consumes up to 60 Rage to increase the amount absorbed. Absorption amount increases with attack power."

Strength increase Attack Power which should increase my Shield Barrier. Stack strength = Higher absorbs shield barrier.

Here are some numbers:

Popping Shield Barrier with full Rage Bar
    Strength = 1092
    Attack Power = 2,434
    Shield Barrier Absorb amount: 4362 DMG

Popping Shield Barrier with Full Rage Bar
    Strength = 8360
    Attack Power = 16970
    Shield Barrier Absorb Amount = 46440 DMG

Popping Shield Barrier with Full Rage Bar
    Strength = 12402 (trinket popped)
    Attack Power (+10% Battle Shout) = 27559
    Shield Barrier Absorb Amount = 46440 DMG

Is this a result of DR that I am not getting an increase in absorption amount with my attack power increasing?

As you can see from the numbers, when I try maximizing my Strength and AP, my SB isn't going past 46440?

Anyone good with crunching numbers I would greatly appreciate some insight, thanks!

The scaling on the "increased by attack power" is designed to work with vengence. Vengence adds MASSIVE amounts of attack power. If it scaled as quickly and easily as a trinket use, raid tanks would receive massive benefits to survivability. Unless they changed something, vengence does not work against players. That leaves very little options for a significant increase in SB power in pvp. I'm sure that's by design so that you will not be invincible against casters. Spell reflect, SB, stuns, etc. prot has a lot of anti-caster tools. An immunity might be asking for a little much.

For pve, generally you will be (or want to be) at about 3 parry to 1 dodge. The way the diminishing returns works that maximizes your actual gains from the rating points you have invested.

The goal of prot in pvp is not to actually kill anything. The goal is to be as annoying as possible. You want to frustrate the other team into attacking you and wasting a lot of effort to control/kill you so that the rest of your team almost gets free kills. Charge stunning, other stuns, gap closers etc are all just ways to try to force them to train on you. Once they do, you should be much harder to kill than the average pvper which is to buy more time for your team to freely act. By the way, if your team does get them low, excute still hits like a truck.

Prot is a different mindset in pvp. Some really enjoy it and others, not so much. The glory won't be in damage done or kills, but more so in trying to control the other team and frustrate them. The better you are at that, the more successful your team will be. For that reason, prot is more effective in 3s and 5s. 2s require more contribution from both members and the loss of damage makes it harder for prot to do it's job.

Edit: I appear to have responded to a post that was deleted while I typed my response. Hope it helps someone anyways.

The shield barrier absorb amount is calculated using this formula:

absorb = max(2 * (attackPower - 2 * strength), stamina * 2.5) * (min(60, rage) / 60)

So as long as your stamina is high, you won't notice any change in the absorb value from raising ap/str. The ab/str values are only really used when you have high vengeance.

+ Reply to Thread