+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tanking LFR for first time?

Tanking LFR for first time?

So I finally reached iLvl 460 for LFR Guardians of Mog'shan (Mog'shan Vaults). There are six bosses...how do I tank this for the first time? I mean, I've looked at the tankspot video for Stone Guard (http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...ts-Stone-Guard) - and I get it. But there's no way I'll remember another 5 bosses.

I can cope with one boss, and even then, it all makes a lot more sense once you've done it once. I don't have DPS gear, so what do I do, queue and get kicked?

I would like to add, that I want to do a good job and be attentive, hence posting here really.

You can ignore all the straits for stone guard lfr. All 3 can be single tanked together and burned. The rest of the fights have slightly more intricacy but they don't sway far from the video versions of normals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Boss 1: Tank all three together, ignore normal/heroic strategies.
    Boss 2: Phase 1: tank where he runs to. Phase 2: tank in middle, use shield to stop draw flame. Phase 3: tank in middle, und shield to stop damage from the casted AoE.
    Boss 3: Tank away from totem. When he send you down to the spirit world, kill the large white add.
    Boss 4: Tank Quiang facing the raid. put a symbol on your head and tell the raid to stack on you.
    Boss 5: Tank boss in middle, he cannot move. kill adds as appropriate, only ever move away from the boss if another tank has him. Move off the platform before it despawns.
    Boss 6: Tank your boss in a corner, near the stairs. The other one should be tanked opposite you, on the other side of the room. Dodge the AoE if you can, use a CD for Titan Gas.

LFR Really is serf mode, but the tank Que is payback for instant 5 man ques ... I was in Que for 3 hours on Tuesday. Best bet also is find 2-3 healers you know to q with and tell them to forget everyone else and just keep you alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Fetzie View Post
    Boss 1: Tank all three together, ignore normal/heroic strategies.
    Boss 2: Phase 1: tank where he runs to. Phase 2: tank in middle, use shield to stop draw flame. Phase 3: tank in middle, und shield to stop damage from the casted AoE.
    Boss 3: Tank away from totem. When he send you down to the spirit world, kill the large white add.
    Boss 4: Tank Quiang facing the raid. put a symbol on your head and tell the raid to stack on you.
    Boss 5: Tank boss in middle, he cannot move. kill adds as appropriate, only ever move away from the boss if another tank has him. Move off the platform before it despawns.
    Boss 6: Tank your boss in a corner, near the stairs. The other one should be tanked opposite you, on the other side of the room. Dodge the AoE if you can, use a CD for Titan Gas.
    Not only is this extremely useful, but also sums up a good approach; I need to understand the very basics, be selective about what I want to understand about each boss.

Very, very useful and much appreciated.

Thank you.

Darksend - thanks for the heads-up. I thought something was odd when I queued in LFG for longer than 15 seconds one evening. Really, it struck me as odd. So LFR is going to be a wake-up call.

I personally make sure to gather up an OS set of gear. That way, like I did last week, I can queue as dps for the fights I haven't seen and get a feel for what's happening. Usually, once I've seen the fight as a dps, I'm cool with tanking it. My 463 tank gear got me into lfr...my 440 ret gear got me to the top of the dps meters. Sad panda (but not really a panda).

I was under the impression if you are assigned a DPS role your loot bags will only give DPS loots, and the same for tank roles and tank loots.
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

I was under the impression if you are assigned a DPS role your loot bags will only give DPS loots, and the same for tank roles and tank loots.
    Apart from the shield, the 1h and maybe a trinket, ret pally loot is the same as tank pally loot. Strength, Mastery, Haste, Expertise and Hit. Of course, the possibility of crit on an item is a potential issue, but no real biggie. So no real worries about that

For my first time into an LFR, I am there to learn, rather than loot. If I win loot for my OS, great. If it's itemized correctly (no crit) for prot, even better. More than anything, I wanted to make sure that the first time I tank is not the first time I've seen it.

I'm nervous about two specifics of tanking LFR:

(1) Running out when the platform collapses on Elegion: if normally the tank always has to be close to the boss, how do you know when to run out? (dps seem very bad at killing the adds before they hit their targets)

(2) Dodging the devastating slashes on will of the emperor: how much damage do you take each slash you fail to dodge? (I've watched videos, but it seems tricky).

Quote Originally Posted by theodisius View Post
    I'm nervous about two specifics of tanking LFR:

(1) Running out when the platform collapses on Elegion: if normally the tank always has to be close to the boss, how do you know when to run out? (dps seem very bad at killing the adds before they hit their targets)

(2) Dodging the devastating slashes on will of the emperor: how much damage do you take each slash you fail to dodge? (I've watched videos, but it seems tricky).
    1. Bigwigs yells at you, it is about ten seconds after the pylons go up on LFR difficulty

2. 70k-100k maybe?

It's not that dodging the slashes is tricky, it's just that there's really no room for error. You don't get a large window to think about where to move, you just have to recognize it and move. The damage from getting hit by the slash isn't that much, but it debuffs you increasing your damage taken (via armor reduction or just straight damage increase%, I forget).

10% less armor per stack, and if you mess up twice in a row, the debuff refreshes on the next strikes phase.

Quote Originally Posted by Fetzie View Post
    10% less armor per stack, and if you mess up twice in a row, the debuff refreshes on the next strikes phase.
    Yes, precisely. Add to this that you get a free 500k attack if you avoid the whole combo, and the pros and cons to avoiding or standing in it become pretty clear.

+ Reply to Thread