+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ret Paladin and LFR

Ret Paladin and LFR

So yesterday I did LFR for the first time, got a couple of upgrades (lucky me).

The main problem that I am having is looking at the other classes, and getting discouraged.

My profile is: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...kener/advanced

Now there are certain things that I just can't afford right now or are not available (like a living steel belt buckle), but still, I should be at least comparable with other classes shouldn't I?

The last group I was in, actually did the Stone Guard by grouping two up for a few seconds, then pulling them all together and dealing with the overloads as they came, and we just burned them all down. Cool tactic and it worked fine.

However, I was only doing 41k while hunters, mages, warlocks were all doing 60-70k+.

I thought, well they obviously ran 10-man and got tier gear or something, but no. They had similar gear as me. Heroic blues, brewfest trinket, maybe an epic here or there that were 476, but no more than one item per person.

After clearing, getting my gear and gem/enchants were done to the best of my abilities, I re-entered into LFR (knowing I wouldn't get loot) but I wanted to test it out to see how it actually worked. The max I pulled was 44k and I believe that was because I actually had all of my trinkets proc and i did wings and guardian at the same time.

Is there anyone that could shed some light on what I could potentially be doing wrong. Is it just a gear limitation? Like, getting certain pieces magically give you 10-20k more dps? I didn't log it, but I will do a worldoflogs parse tonight when I try it again to see if I can do any better.

Any help would be appreciated. Next week my guild should be geared enough for us to try 10-man normal, and I'd like to try to get any faults sorted before I go in.

- Kardall

Edit: As an aside, I'll go over the basic thought process on how I am playing.

If there are more than 3 mobs I use Seal of Righteousness, 3 and under I use Seal of Truth.

If I'm using Seal of Truth, I am rotating between the mobs using judgement for the physical debuff, and using Hammer of the Righteous for the "AoE" damage to the targets.

My priority because of cool downs are trying to use: Exorcism -> Crusader Strike, Judgement.

I only use Templars Verdict at 5 the first time, and then 3 every other time.

If Divine Purpose procs, I try to get my 3 Holy Power charges before using it, just so that I have that verdict to use after it goes away if it doesn't proc again, as well as if I am in Divine Purpose, I use Exorcism always before I do anything else to get it on cool down asap.
    Last edited by Kardall; 10-10-2012 at 10:32 AM.

replace shoulders they are pvp
    when you can/is affordable buy belt buckle (I know you know it but just making sure)
    if you are trying to reach hit cap trough gemming don't. Go for hit cap trough reforging. IF it is possible (depends on gear).
    Go read elitistjerks.com they already have a pretty leghty guide about ret dps that seems pretty awesome as usual
    There is also a guide on Tankspot for a dirty quick crash course.
    Be sure to install ClCret to help you tighten up your rotation.

Good luck

http://simulationcraft.org/

Ret is 4th...from the bottom.

Divine storm = 2 or more mobs
    Hammer of the Righteous = 4 or more mobs
    Seal of Righteousness = 8 or more mobs

ALWAYS use a holy power generator if it is off cd unless you are at 5 powa. TV or Divine Storm is a dps loss compared to a holy power generator unless the mob will die before you get to 5 and spend it.

If you are not opposed to addons, clcret is still one of the best rotation helpers out there for any spec. If nothing else, use it long enough to observe what it is doing and then when you feel comfortable with managing that on your own, lose it.

Edit: To be clear, if you are at 3 or 4 power and the generators are on cd, use TV/DS. But if you are not at 5 and you have a generator available, that is the better choice. Highest dps is the most holy power generated. Delaying that TV/DS will give you more overall TV/DS over the course of a fight. Don't wait for Exo or w/e to come off cd to get to 5, but if it is off cd, use it first.

Edit: Edit: Fetzie referenced a SoT nerf. I still have not seen the actual post on that so I don' know if it affects Ret or how that affects the SoT SoR balance point for the # of mobs.
    Last edited by sifuedition; 10-10-2012 at 11:21 AM.

Thanks for the follow up Fetzie!

Hmmm Ok I will go check them out.

I got a few more upgrades (Still not belt because I need Klaxxi rep).

I found that as I tested and played with it a bit more, I was able to actually do around 55k-100k in a heroic today. I was going to run through LFR again to see what it's like in a raid scenario but, it seemed to be a lot better than it used to.

It was sad however that the Enh. Shaman who was only 458 ish gear was doing as much as me :P

Ok so our guild did our first 10-man vaults run last night, but unfortunately we needed a 3rd healer so I had to go heals.
    In the few runs that I _did_ get a chance to dps, I was pulling around 40k myself, so I think that it's just a case of gear at this point.

The other classes seem to get higher returns on dps on a per-stat basis right now with the current gear, so I am hoping that by the time terrace comes up, or the guild starts getting further into the dungeon and phat lewtz become available to me, then I will see a difference.

Here's Hoping

+ Reply to Thread