+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PST - Episode 98

PST - Episode 98

This week:
    0:48 - Are the long queue times on high-pop servers going to affect progression?
    7:50 - Aren't there still "right" and "wrong" choices in the new talent system?
    15:36 - If you could raid with a world first guild, would you?
    20:20 - Do MoP dailies require too much grinding, especially where alts are concerned?
    27:54 - How do I deal with a raider who is talented, but doesn't mesh well with the group?
    32:54 - Are MoP heroics too easy?
    40:18 - How do the random elements of some boss fights affect Challenge Mode times?
    46:27 - How many raid bosses would be ideal per tier?
    53:46 - Is the WoW community cycling towards younger players?
    1:00:26 - Should Spirits of Harmony be made BoE?
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

About the 4th question:
    Do MoP dailies require too much grinding, especially where alts are concerned?
    http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/wor...east-of-valor/

Once one of your characters has reached the Valor Point cap for the week, your alts on that realm gain the buff increasing all points gained by 50%.

With respect to the seventh question, "40:18 - How do the random elements of some boss fights affect Challenge Mode times?":

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/5347864776#4

In general, in Challenge modes we try to remove randomness, because we don't want external factors to have an undue influence on completion time, and we definitely don't ever want people to be 80% of the way through a clear and say, "Oh, the boss spawned with the wrong set of abilities, reset and try again."

On Normal and Heroic, Yan-Zhu picks three random abilities out of a possible six. On Challenge mode, we've pre-selected the same set of three abilities every time.
    There was a blue post clarifying that the challenge mode runs will be more deterministic than their normal/heroic counterparts.

-HP

RE the Auction House comment (somewhere around 1:04:00):

I do not want a region-wide AH. I want to be able to actually sell stuff, the D3 AH is so big that the chance of actually selling something is ridiculously low, even if it has decent stats.

How do you feel about the marmot stomping daily?

I think the answers you gave for the last question, and second to last question, cancels themselves out. Weird responses to those last two.
    Also, when you said there are two types of MMORPG players (Those that play WOW and those that "use" to play WOW) You may want to look again.
    Because I am playing Guild Wars 2 and loving it!!
    I do not feel the need to be up to where I should be with other players because it is a NEW and FRESH MMO where reaching lvl cap is not a priority to a lot of players. The overall game experience is.
    WOW makes you feel like you have to hit 90 just to start enjoying the experience, and in my opinion, that is a sad way to enjoy a game.
    You said you hit lvl 90 in the first night????? I feel like you did not enjoy yourself, or the game enviroment, and just wanted to get to 90 for "YOUR JOB" which is basically talking about end content.

Quote Originally Posted by Kriandis View Post
    So you registered on a WoW tanking website just to plug Guild Wars 2?

Makes no sense. No issue with GW2, have fun and whatever, but, I tried it, and hated it. YMMV. Your opinion is not fact.

I think the answers you gave for the last question, and second to last question, cancels themselves out. Weird responses to those last two.
    Also, when you said there are two types of MMORPG players (Those that play WOW and those that "use" to play WOW) You may want to look again.
    I do not feel the need to be up to where I should be with other players because it is a NEW and FRESH MMO where reaching lvl cap is not a priority to a lot of players. The overall game experience is.
    WOW makes you feel like you have to hit 90 just to start enjoying the experience, and in my opinion, that is a sad way to enjoy a game.
    I would argue that a very large majority of WoW players (labeled casual) play the game for the "enjoyment" of one type or another. Just because there are milestones to do different/new content doesn't make the game bad, it can't. A game is a game, no matter how you slice it. Whether you're leveling, questing, crafting, growing a garden, playing the AH or just logging in and out while never accomplishing anything, it's still a game. I would like to think no one is playing WoW because for some weird reason they think they have to, unless of course your living comes from it.

The feeling you have; "I do not feel the need to be up to where I should be with other players", is called drive or passion to accomplish something. Just because you don't have that "feeling" doesn't mean others can't, and still have a good time in the process.

You said you hit lvl 90 in the first night????? I feel like you did not enjoy yourself, or the game enviroment, and just wanted to get to 90 for "YOUR JOB" which is basically talking about end content.
    Is there something wrong with playing a game to earn a living? I would personally take sitting at a computer with friends for all hours of the night gaming, and getting paid for it, rather than spending an equal amount of time doing what I do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksend View Post
    Best bet also is find 2-3 healers you know to q with and tell them to forget everyone else and just keep you alive.

I think they made a lot of basic mistakes with MoP, in terms of how character progression works. The JP/HP/VP issues are just the tip of that iceberg really. I know they have made an attempt to fix JP/HP, but I question how this ever made it live.

Motes of Harmony are another example. By the time crafters are going to have enough Spirit of Harmony to craft the epic gear for LW/BS the gear is likely going to be useless and the prices so high due to the difficulty in obtaining motes. In the past the crafted gear was a great stepping stone towards gearing up, now it won't be readily available until you are raiding for better gear or running LFR for equal. Combine that with Conquest gear actually being better than crafted gear and you thrown that wrench into the equation. They could make Spirit of Harmony BoA or BoE, but I don't think that would really fix anything as the level of this crafted gear would still limit the usefulness of it.

Thirdly is the issue of Valor gear requiring revered reps and Valor Points having a 3000 cap. So in 3 weeks you will end up capped and if you haven't been doing dailies to open the factions that offer the gear you want, you'll sit Valor capped. It's a broken system as well, but how long until Blizzard figures it out.

I question what happened to 'play the way you want'. They wanted to force people into the world, I get that, but they have removed choice. No more dungeon tabards means there is only one way to rep grind. The fact that your first random dungeon and scenario per day offer more VP than subsequent ones brings back a system where it is more efficient to play a little everyday than a lot at once (a system the removed previously) which is punishing to people who don't have time to play everyday. It just seems they have reverted some of the quality of play changes they had previously implemented.

TL;DR: I love the content in MoP, but I question the character progression system on many levels. They really took away a lot of the ability to use your alts to help progress your main, combined with weird iLvl choices and forced player paths. I think it will bum a lot of people out and burn a lot of people out.

Would that then not place you in the "those that "use" to play WOW" group?

Quote Originally Posted by Mwawka View Post
    Thirdly is the issue of Valor gear requiring revered reps and Valor Points having a 3000 cap..
    Honored now, which is much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by mavfin View Post
    Honored now, which is much easier.
    Amulets, Rings and Bracers are now available at Honored, everything else is still Revered.

Quote Originally Posted by Fetzie View Post
    RE the Auction House comment (somewhere around 1:04:00):

I do not want a region-wide AH. I want to be able to actually sell stuff, the D3 AH is so big that the chance of actually selling something is ridiculously low, even if it has decent stats.
    Aww. Let's be honest now Fetz. Here.... I'll fix that for you........

"I want to be able to actually sell stuff for a price that I think it's worth, regardless of whether it'll ever sell at that price. The D3 AH is so big that the chance of actually selling something for the price that I want someone to buy it for is ridiculously low, even if it has decent stats.
    Welcome to the free market. If you price your stuff at the same exact price as everyone else, you've done nothing to attract a buyer. If anything, you're wasting your time leaving it on there in the hopes that someone will touch it. If you REALLY want to move inventory, do something to move it..... because you're not making anything off it if it doesn't sell.

A perfect example of this really is Steam. They make money despite selling stuff at deep discount because.... lo' and behold, they move VOLUME that would otherwise never sell.

I just get a little ruffled at statements like that because I hear similar statements in regards to the AH on WoW all the time. Arguments where people whine that they can't make money off the AH or they have to spend all their time in Orgrimmar spamming trade chat in order to make gold. In most of these cases..... it's just people pissed off that they're not making as much as they think they should make. I don't feel a ton of sympathy because these are frequently the same people who will say shit like this:

The feeling you have; "I do not feel the need to be up to where I should be with other players", is called drive or passion to accomplish something.
    Nothing against you Fetz, but it drives me nuts when people will complain about the WoW gen-pop wanting hand-outs and not wanting to work for their stuff, that people just don't want to have to do anything to be "successful", and then those same people flip around and don't take their own medicine, and won't do what needs to be done to be successful.

Last edited by Leucifer; 10-03-2012 at 02:10 PM. Reason: Formatting issue
    No one tanks in a void.........

"I want to be able to actually sell stuff for a price that I think it's worth, regardless of whether it'll ever sell at that price. The D3 AH is so big that the chance of actually selling something for the price that I want someone to buy it for is ridiculously low, even if it has decent stats.
    No.

I actually want to be able to sell stuff within a reasonable time-frame for a price that reflects the difficulty in acquiring that item. In D3 I was sitting on an item that was in the AH for a fraction of its real value. There are maybe a dozen BoEs per tier of raiding. There will be thousands of them on the AH. Crafting epics to sell will be as pointless as in D3 because the value of the crafted item will be significantly lower than the value of the materials due to a thousand people frantically undercutting to try and at least get their investment back.

The comparison to Steam is invalid because Steam doesn't have limited stock, they don't have any time investment to sell another copy of CoD3
    Welcome to the free market. If you price your stuff at the same exact price as everyone else, you've done nothing to attract a buyer. If anything, you're wasting your time leaving it on there in the hopes that someone will touch it. If you REALLY want to move inventory, do something to move it..... because you're not making anything off it if it doesn't sell.
    Pricing is the only way to stand out on the AH, and when you have so many people undercutting each other with exactly the same item, you might as well disenchant that BoE epic and try and sell the shard.

Quote Originally Posted by Fetzie View Post
    No.

I actually want to be able to sell stuff within a reasonable time-frame for a price that reflects the difficulty in acquiring that item. In D3 I was sitting on an item that was in the AH for a fraction of its real value. There are maybe a dozen BoEs per tier of raiding. There will be thousands of them on the AH. Crafting epics to sell will be as pointless as in D3 because the value of the crafted item will be significantly lower than the value of the materials due to a thousand people frantically undercutting to try and at least get their investment back.

The comparison to Steam is invalid because Steam doesn't have limited stock, they don't have any time investment to sell another copy of CoD3

Pricing is the only way to stand out on the AH, and when you have so many people undercutting each other with exactly the same item, you might as well disenchant that BoE epic and try and sell the shard.
    You came to the logical conclusion in the end.

Personally, I have never counted on crafting being a money-maker, unless I'm crafting consumables that people will blow through in raid/pvp.
    Pots, Elixirs, Gems.... even enchanting.... as people will burn through it in order to support their gaming.
    Blacksmithing... to me, has ALWAYS been a loss. Same with engineering. I only do those for shits'n'giggles.

It would be nice to see those have "consumables". Say..... sharpening stones that can stack with the enchants? Maybe?

I was my realms first 90, I enjoyed myself immensely. Taking part in a one time race, something that will never take place again? It's fun, thrilling and surprisingly challenging. Your "argument" makes about as much sense as me claiming you're not enjoying GW2 because you've not invested enough time and show no desire to reach max level.

That said, I think I'm also the guy Lore mentioned as asking "Why the dailies stopped being worthwhile after 90 charms", asking for more out of the dailies that I enjoyed doing, but ended up just throwing charms away, so perhaps I'm in the minority with my opinions and tastes.

There was also totally a right way to name heroics, I've been saying calling the MOP heroics "heroics" was a bad thing since it was announced.

Call them LFD. It parallels LFR, heroic dungeons share no parallel with heroic raids.
    Last edited by Nagassh; 10-03-2012 at 06:43 PM.

About the part "are heroics too easy?".

Lore then talks about how challenge modes might reward too little compared to how tough they are.

But isn't that the whole reason why we who like challening content can have our challenge modes pretty safe from nerfs? If CM:s did reward something that all players wanted (character power) they had to be nerfed to make them accessible.

The only way for challening content to survive in the way wow works atm is for it to be hidden away and not giving powerful rewards.

A very interesting question for PST would be to hear Lore develop further on how challenge modes could be rewarding AND tough.

I know that nothing on my end has changed but since you re-vamped the website Lore, I am unable to read the questions below your videos. Can ya make the font size a bit bigger say 12pt. thanks

btw I think that havin buy orders on the AH is an excellent idea.

Heroic dungeons are still tough for me. I do what I can each expansion to get my gear up to snuff but my dps still lacks the punch that other mages have.

My biggest problem with crafting professions is that I will out level the gear my profs can make while I am leveling them and the gear is often useless for myself to use. My mage is the only one of my 18 -85's that even has any crafting professions.
    Last edited by Deandia; 10-04-2012 at 04:30 PM.

+ Reply to Thread