+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First to Level 90: 293 Minutes

First to Level 90: 293 Minutes

So on Guildox they have a first to 90 board and the an EU player made it to 90 in 293 minutes; how is that possible, that's 4.8 hours. Dungeons no longer give the wild XP; and when you start out you're getting about 122k per quest and about 7-14XP per mob. Travel time around the map while leveling would add up to a couple of hours.

I really don't understand how this is possible with out some type of exploit; not saying there was, but really am curious how this is done.

My first reaction to this would probably be mob tagging...

However, I recall hearing on Legendary that someone who got to level 90 had been brought down to 87 for that action so I don't know if that's the same thing.

But basically, you got a bunch of people together and the one guy tags mobs, and the rest destroy said mob. You keep doing that over and over so long as you tag first and you get a bit of the xp. You can just grind through all five levels. You gotta find a good area where you can just claim and grind.

That's how the one on Legendary did it and I would assume that's how they did it too.

Tankspot Moderator
    Twitter: Follow me on Twitter! @Krenian

"Damnit!" - Jack Bauer, 24

The people who had their levels rolled back weren't just mob tagging. They were using a bugged, stacking buff that made their character do an insane amount of damage. Mob tagging is a legitimate way to level (well, at least in the eyes of Blizz) as it's how the world first has occurred in every expansion.

Wow, never knew that, but it makes sense. Kind of makes me ask, "why buy the game?" Guess, I'm just not into things like world firsts in a video game and can't see the point in this; waste of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post
    Wow, never knew that, but it makes sense. Kind of makes me ask, "why buy the game?" Guess, I'm just not into things like world firsts in a video game and can't see the point in this; waste of money.
    You beat me to this comment. I guess there's nerds, and there's NERDS.

No offense Lore. Thanks for the beta key by the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksend View Post
    Best bet also is find 2-3 healers you know to q with and tell them to forget everyone else and just keep you alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post
    Kind of makes me ask, "why buy the game?"
    Because you can't do this without owning the game?

It's not like the guy still doesn't have the opportunity to do all the quests and see the content, considering he likely did none of that while pushing for 90.
    "Just because it's not nice doesn't mean it's not miraculous." - T. P.

I know, I just can't see the point in it; doesn't mean I would begrudge anyone else doing it, more power to them. It's one of those things that just makes me shake my head and wonder; and there are things I do or enjoy that make other people do the same thing. It's why Howard Johnsons makes (or, rather, made) 28 flavors.

I really was mostly curious as to how it could be done. That's killing about 7,000 mobs, give or take if you figure 14,000 XP per mob on average (that may be a bit high since no rested XP to speak of), that's one massive go kill X number of these quest.

One of my guild members talked about an issue that may have contributed. Apparently there was a quest mob that was granting like 122k xp and took about 4-5 seconds to kill. Could be immediately resummoned after it died and they were grinding that. Haven't seen anything to verify it happened and supposedly it's fixed now. Meh, who knows.

There will always be people who decide they want to be First On The Server to prove their leveling fu is the best. The people who have the drive and dedication to have the shiny Feat of Strength and have to be better than the however many million people play the game. It's interesting to watch the guilds on our server -- the more driven guilds have enough people to hit the first raids tonight, and the less driven guilds who want to enjoy the content will be a bit behind. A guild we have an alliance with had 9 90s by the time Thursday rolled around, and mine has three. As of today, they're up to 25 and ready to roll tonight, and we're up to 12, but only one healer and no tanks, until I hit 90 and the other is still level 88.

Odd data point; four of our 90s are hunters, and two of the first three 90s in my guild were hunters. Guess they weren't nerfed as bad as people were saying.

-Tielyn

I leveled my pally first, but am now working on my hunter - and no, the nerf was not bad at all, things are dying real fast and my pet actually holds aggro these days. So far there's nothing the hunter can get itself into that it can't quickly kill its way out of.

Maybe this reduction of XP awarded from giant cave bats and king spineclaws have something to do with the location of tagging?
    "Just because it's not nice doesn't mean it's not miraculous." - T. P.

We had two of the ten "first to 90s" land in our guild ... both were in the ~12 hour (720 minute) range and they did it by efficient questing. A group of 5 people on our server got to 90 (and were all server firsts) in ~8 hours by farming respawns in an efficient location ... same thing those europeans did just without the buff. Also as far as anyone who has the details can tell the european farmers didn't do anything besides kill mobs in an efficient place. The buff also didn't infinitely stack ... but it did stay at several stacks which was a very sizeable buff. That said it's pretty hard to condemn them as having done anything "wrong" ... because what they were doing (tagging) is extremely simple and has been in the game since vanilla.

Getting to 90 doesn't take very long. Why do they do it? Why do people compete at anything? Because competition defines us as a species and everyone competes differently ... whether it be with their careers, cars, children, spouses, wallets, bodies, video games, sports, odd body humor ... in the end we compete. These guys choose this to be their venue ... good for them. Judging them (whether directly or by inference) is tasteless imho. Just because you either are unable or choose not to do this does not make it senseless, purposeless, or hard to understand. It is no more difficult to understand than why people buy flashy cars, date attractive mates, or gloat when their kids beat their neighbor's kids at anything. It's human nature ... not very hard to understand.
    RIP Stormrage Horde ('05 - '11). Turaylon Horde since 11/11 where there's actually people
    GM of Neolutum (always recruiting, PM me)

Quote Originally Posted by feralminded View Post
    Judging them (whether directly or by inference) is tasteless imho. Just because you either are unable or choose not to do this does not make it senseless, purposeless, or hard to understand. It is no more difficult to understand than why people buy flashy cars, date attractive mates, or gloat when their kids beat their neighbor's kids at anything. It's human nature ... not very hard to understand.
    Was just question, I fail to see anything judemental in the discussion that followed whatsoever. As I said, it's not something I'd care much about doing, but that's my personal opinion; and as I further said I don't begrude anyone doing it, more power to them. If that's how they choose to compete good for them.

Thanks for starting that topic.
    PM

+ Reply to Thread