+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 67 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask Small Questions that Don't Deserve a Thread

Ask Small Questions that Don't Deserve a Thread

Not only am I stealing this idea from TenTonHammer, I'm even going to quote Xerin to avoid having to write my own intro!

This thread is for ANY question that you feel doesn't deserve its own thread. Questions about quests should include quest names, questions about gear should include specs/builds/what you can obtain/levels. You should include your level most of the time, unless its something that can be easily assumed.

You can also search the forums and the main site and get answers quicker if its something already answered.

DON'T BE AFRAID to post a question that could already be answered. Someone will probably answer it again for you. No need in making you read the thousands of replies these threads get for something that can be answered quickly anyway
    Last edited by Ciderhelm; 03-26-2008 at 12:04 PM.

Here's one for you -- I've read lately that you can not spec Prot and still tank just fine if you have the right gear. Is that true?

Personally, I don't like to tank if I'm not Prot. A few things I miss way too much.

1. Shield Slam. Nothing beats a satisfying "clunk" in the headphones after landing a solid shield-to-face. No, actually, it's the threat. Losing aggro to every DPS in a PuG that deserves to be called DPS is quite frankly annoying. Which brings me to the second thing I hate about tanking in non-Prot. Watching that mage burst 900 TPS while you're praying that this Revenge doesn't get avoided...ewww.

2. Sunder Armor taking 9 rage. If it wasn't for the fact that I keep seeing my burst threat (Insta threat move+heroic) drain my rage from a respectable 30 to almost nothing, I might do a lil more tanking while I'm not-Prot from farming.

With that said, I know non-Prot warriors that have tanked heroics fine. While their TPS was <400 and DPS had to watch it, we finished the heroic with only a wipe or two.

If you're main tanking anything that can crush (raid bosses), Imp Shield Block is nothing less than a must.

Prot threat scaling scales with Shield Block Value, and does so very well indeed. Shield Mastery's synergy with Imp Shield Block and Shield Slam only add to the desirability of this stat. Especially with things that hit for <2k, SBV is a huge part of Prot mitigation.

Enter Arms or Fury tanking. Shield Block Value is now sub-par in desirability. Need mitigation? Armor/hp/avoidance. Need rage? Agility/crit (since crits double the fixed part of the rage equation). Need reliable steady threat? Strength scales your TPS and has a smaller effect on rage than crit.

With regards to your question:

I've read lately that you can not spec Prot and still tank just fine if you have the right gear. Is that true?

To a decent extent in 5 mans up to heroics, yes. In Kara, it starts to get bad from the TPS nonscaling and the crushing blows. I have just started in 25mans, so I'll just say that from everything I've read, Prot tanking is a must in 25mans. Asking a healer team to heal you through bosses landing crushes... owwww...

If you want to remain non Prot and tank, you'll want to prioritize differently with regards to tanking gear, and recognize that if you ever make the switch to a Protection spec, you're going to need half a new shopping list.

Hope this helped
    "I played hard to avoid mistakes, but now I can play hard to capitalize on opportunities." -Arold, on the 3.0 Protection Warrior.

how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    Not only am I stealing this idea from TenTonHammer, I'm even going to quote Xerin to avoid having to write my own intro!
    I'm telling Xerin

Hey everyone, I followed a few of Cider's posts from TenTonHammer's website back here, been lurking for a few weeks and decided to try my hand at tanking after reading everything I could on here, and being experienced with healing and DPS (priest and hunter at 70) I wanted to see another side. I just tanked my first instance last night (SM armory at level 32) and had a blast. My question is:

What kind of weapon is best for bashing the idea through a mage's thick skull that pulling a group of mobs by sheeping one of them is a bad idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Odess View Post
    What kind of weapon is best for bashing the idea through a mage's thick skull that pulling a group of mobs by sheeping one of them is a bad idea?
    An axe, because if you can't attack the Mage directly, you'll get a higher chance to crit with talents and thus a higher chance to proc Deep Wounds on their sheep, making the target unsheepable. Enough Deep Wounds and Rends and the Mage will learn.

If you can, it also helps to charge the sheep at the beginning of the pull and break it.

Do you need a flying mount to do the questline to obtain [item]Grom'tor's Charge[/item]?
    Vexed
    Bronzebeard - US

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegiemam View Post
    Do you need a flying mount to do the questline to obtain [item]Grom'tor's Charge[/item]?
    Don't think so, as I recall all the sons and quests are reachable on a normal mount.

Just to clear something up: I have a friend who was a prot warr before TBC, I will affectionately refer to him as 'the oldie.' I am the 'new guy'-my tanking experience has mainly been TBC instances (I was 50 when the expansion came out and 'missed the best raids.') We've been going back and forth over the usefulness of Heroic Strike.

I was reaching upwards of 700tps with the rotation of sunder armor x5, then altering between revenge (when it was up). My main threat producing movements were shield slam and heroic strike. Grant it, I always had way to much rage when I did that, but I did keep the aggro and had high, sustained TPS.

But he on the other hand tells me to scrap Heroic Strike and go with a rotation of: sunder armor x5, and the constant spamming of shield block and revenge, and devastate. I tried that but I just felt like I wasn't keeping a steady stream of threat. His reasoning for not using Heroic Strike was "it takes too much rage." But, not only does it give you more DPS, but it gives you an increase threat!

What are all of your theories on this? I, personally, have adopted shield block/shield bash into my rotation, but I mainly use the heroic strike/shield slam rotation now.

Is there err in my way?

your rotation should look something like this:

Shield Slam
    Shield Block
    Revenge
    Sunderx2
    Shield Slam
    Shield Block
    revenge
    Sunderx2 (queue up Heroic strike if in excess of 50 rage)
    Shield Slam
    Shield Block
    Revenge
    Sunder
    Devastate (queue up Heroic Strike if in excess)
    repeat from Shield Slam right above, doing SS, SB, R, D, D, with Heroic Strike Queues

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Haha My rotation looks nothing like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegiemam View Post
    No.
    Dwarf Warrior-Inactive.
    Undead Warrior-Retired before BWL raiding started.

Here is a dumb question that I should know the answer to
    What is the amount of +hit&#37; needed to make non-white attacks never miss?
    and Is there a ranged + hit item with stamina before Kara?

9% IIRC and the Ogrila Exalted bow is pretty good, agi, sta, hit.
    "I played hard to avoid mistakes, but now I can play hard to capitalize on opportunities." -Arold, on the 3.0 Protection Warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by Odess View Post
    Sorry if I'm late but here's my answer. . .

It shouldn't be that big a deal. In fact I usually do it that way. You should be able to cycle and get everyone on you in about 1 second. Until you start dealing with mobs that can one shot a mage I don't see it being a problem.

Now ideally that isn't the best way to do it. I should make sure I start doing it the right way.

Wow that rotation on page one is LONG! Are we supposed to memorize that?

Basically I hit Revenge whenever it is up. Hit Shield Slam when the CD is up and then sunders whenever I can't do one of those 2. Once I have 5 I replace that with Devastate. If you've got enough rage to burn Heroic Strikes then you must be gettin hit HARD.

In theory, what you are doing probably isn't much different to the rotation. The only difference is you will be using skills as and when, rather than following a structured order.

Personally for me and my weird mind following a long sequence is a lot more natural

IMO the most important thing to remember about any 'rotation' is that no one rotation is going to work in every situation. You have to be able to change it up on the fly for a multitude of reasons. The more traditional rotation of SS/Rev/Sun/Sun is probably the best for single target threat generation, but it's only really going to apply to more single target oriented pulls. If you need more mitigation, or need to push crushing off the table then you need to throw in SB's, holding a couple targets then TC and Cleave. The skill in being a warrior comes from changing up the rotations when needed.

That being said... never pass up any chance to use a Shield Slam or Revenge, pop them all the time, every CD.

As for the HS vs. Devistate... it's not really one or the other, it's both! HS is an 'On next attack' ability and it doesnt activate the GCD, so you can queue up a HS then use Devistate anyway. Now, it's only really good for high rage situations like bosses and the combination of the two make for excellent ways to use up that excess rage. In the end, the difference in threat produced between the two (when used seperately) is probably going to be pretty minimal in any situation that you cant use both which is mostly going to be trash pulls... so use whatever you're more comfortable with.

Quote Originally Posted by Leytur View Post
    Sorry if I'm late but here's my answer. . .

It shouldn't be that big a deal. In fact I usually do it that way. You should be able to cycle and get everyone on you in about 1 second. Until you start dealing with mobs that can one shot a mage I don't see it being a problem.

Now ideally that isn't the best way to do it. I should make sure I start doing it the right way.
    Yeah sometimes that works for pulling... my bigger problem with it was that he was doing it before the group was ready, i.e. priest was still drinking and hunter was afk. That and he really really liked his Arcane Explosion as it was about the only spell he cast the entire run.

+ Reply to Thread