+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Monk Class Discussion

Monk Class Discussion

General class discussion (since there were 0 threads in this subforum)... Personally, I've been out of WoW for like half a year, but I'm considering jumping back on board to check out the pandas, so I'm gonna have questions for y'all since I haven't quite decided to try it out yet.

The class seems weird to me, since all specs seem to involve both damage and healing... I understand they wanted kind of a melee range healer or whatever, right?

So, when you choose a specialization, obviously your damage-to-healing-to-squishiness ratios are going to change, but how much? Self-healing on a tank isn't anything new or game-changing, but when it comes to WW vs. MW... it seems like they'll have to nerf the dps damage a little to make up for the heals, or nerf the heals a bit to account for the extra damage being put out.

Am I making sense?

For PvE, is a Monk always going to lag a little in healing to make up for the slight damage they're doing or vice versa? Like, let's say you're doing a 10 man where you'd normally want 3 healers, but a couple of your dps and one of your tanks is a monk, will you just say screw it and run 2 heals? When you look at recount, and you see that your monk healer is doing less than your other healers, do you also look at dps charts and realize that on the other hand, they're not much below your low dps, and let it slide?

For PvP, will the WW's healing be enough to keep a team strong without a dedicated healer? Will all-monk 3v3 squads become just as common as triple shammy teams? Will a dps spec with healer talents/glyphs be overly balanced?

For PvE, is a Monk always going to lag a little in healing to make up for the slight damage they're doing or vice versa? Like, let's say you're doing a 10 man where you'd normally want 3 healers, but a couple of your dps and one of your tanks is a monk, will you just say screw it and run 2 heals? When you look at recount, and you see that your monk healer is doing less than your other healers, do you also look at dps charts and realize that on the other hand, they're not much below your low dps, and let it slide?

For PvP, will the WW's healing be enough to keep a team strong without a dedicated healer? Will all-monk 3v3 squads become just as common as triple shammy teams? Will a dps spec with healer talents/glyphs be overly balanced?
    Extremely unlikely. With the way WoW specializes roles so heavily - especially in high end PvE content - there's no way they'd create "half a healer" because like you said, it'd end up being totally non-viable.

Disc priests are up to the same business of dps while healing. I think it's a neat direction to go in, hope that Blizzard handles it better than other MMOs have done in the past. But then if they're stealing it they must have a solid plan....right? Right???
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Atonement priest and mistweavers can't output max healing through damage. The idea is to let them do something during downtime that is a change of pace from their normal playstyle while still being able to bring some heals to the group. If raid or tank damage becomes an issue, they have to change styles to adjust for that. A resto druid can do the same sort of thing by weaving wrath with hots but it just requires seperate gcds and targetting so its a little clunkier.

I rerolled from a restro shaman once mop came out. I love healing on a monk. Its different, but in a good way. I love the hot's, all the smart heals. Just a fun class in general. But what was said above, you cant be the best you can be while 'dps healing'. At least I haven't found a way to. As of now the only dps I do is when I use spining crane kick. Which heals/dps everyone in it. Mainly used for stacking burst aoe damage, when healing everyone is needed. Or when i roll heal. When your oom. do a triple roll bam, everyone health is back. That dpsing is not on purpose though, just a extra little help. Can throw a few punches when there is nothing happening, but overall i don't think I will be doing much 'dps healing'.
    One fun thing im wanting to try out is the touch of death spell. Any mob with less health than me I can cast that spell and they die. On raid bosses may not be used alot if ever. But might help with those sub 1% wipes. pop your last stand spell (cant think of the name of it) or any other way to get more health, then tap the boss dead .

I have not tried tanking, and I only dps while questing/dalies. So don't really have input on those to much.

+ Reply to Thread