+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Tanking with the Blessing of Kings - The TankSpot Guide to the Protection Paladin

Haste isn't going affect whether your GCD locked on a pally or not. Outside of taking Holy Prism or getting a lot of Grand Crusader Procs the Pally rotation will always have empty GCDs. At least until you get CS down to a 2s CD, or about 250% haste. There's really no point being Prot on the timeless Isle Pallies scale really well with vengeance which means they hit like wet noodles at low vengeance. FOr the Timeless isle go ret or go Holy, both will out DPS you.

1) 3.
    2) SP is eqaul to 50% vengenace if i recall correctly, which gives more will depend on how much master or vengeance you currently have at any given point.
    3) any fight where you EHP is challenged.
    4) Thecks stop/go traffic light one works fine.
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

Prot is crap for timeless isle. Multi-target vengeance nerf made questing as a tank a waste of time. Sure you can pull a lot and be almost indestructable, but it's faster to pull small and kill fast as ret.

1) On a raid boss I usually go up to 5 stacks of bastion before hitting EF. Use Divine Protection with the T16 2 set to tide me threw the first part of a fight.

2) The T16 4 set is a nice quality of life thing because it completely takes this out of the equation. (worthy to note though that on fights that hit hard enough the T15 4 set is better) But before i was able to get my hands on either of those things, I would usually got to 5 stacks of Bastion of Glory and saved Divine Protection to cover any gaps in EF.

3) Without either 4 set, I used it on Garrosh, just because it made for smoother damage intake because there were no lapses in it's up-time. I was solo-tanking the first phase (Boss + adds) at a 550ish iLvL though, so damage could get pretty intense to a point where if I used 3 HP on EF instead of SHotR it could mean a huge damage spike if i didn't have 5 HP banked when I did it.
    So, what Teng said.....

4) If you learn to write the coding for the Custom Trigger's well enough, you can do just about anything. There might be a way to do it without the custom coding, idk. Personally I don't really bother with it much, since I just refresh at 5 stacks of BoG. It was alot more useful when the "skill cap" for a prot pally was dancing in and out of the fire for a vengeance boost, refreshing SS and then trucking b!tches while standing in more fire.... I sometimes miss ToT because that was a thing.....
    Last edited by Gregasaurous; 01-26-2014 at 11:28 AM.

1) How many stacks of Bastion of Glory do you typically cast your first EF at?
    Depends if I'm tanking the boss first or not. If yes, 3 stacks. If no, 5 stacks.

2)Where's the crossover point between 'effective' and 'don't bother, hit ShotR instead?' And which gives you more SP, Vengeance or stacks of Bastion of Glory?
    One stack of BoG makes the next WoG/EF 25-30% better. Spell Power = 50% Attack Power.

3) Are there still specific fights that you still want to use SS anyway (i.e. Tortos while on bat duty?)
    When a boss can deal a massive damage spike to you, especially if it is not mitigated by ShoR. Heroic Blackfuse comes to mind.

4) Is there a Weak Auras macro out there that will tell you whether or not refreshing EF will give you a bigger HoT? (I'm using Theck's right now.)
    Use Theck's if you don't want to write your own.

So my paladin cotank has 2 piece set bonus and 2 pieces of warforged 559 not set pieces. He has the two tokens for the 553 set pieces in his bag so my question to you guys is the 4 piece set bonus good enough to justify dropping down to normal mode tier pieces or should he stick to 2 piece set bonus and not worry about trying to get 4 piece set bonus.

Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

+ Reply to Thread