+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Tanking with the Blessing of Kings - The TankSpot Guide to the Protection Paladin

Yeah, makes sense, thanks Fetzie

Maybe I'll even get to tank again some day - heal, heal heal.

So our paladin tank is having issues keeping threat on AoE, but also pulling threat off our DK. I explained the whole haste idea to her, and she used it for a while, but recently tried a new build. I don't have any logs, and this is extremely vague (5am, I'm tired etc.), but here is the paladin and our other tanks armories.
    Paladin : http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/cenarion-circle/Holydream/simple
    D
    K : http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...e/Paden/simple

AoE threat is usually a problem of the first ~3 seconds, in which case has she tried using Holy Prism? Pulling with unglyphed AS, Holy Prism and then laying down HoTR, Cons etc should give her a decent start. However, DKs and Monks in particular have quite strong snap-AoE threat. The trouble is, as soon as one tank has the majority of the mobs (i.e. after the first few seconds of combat), Vengeance means that the other tank has absolutely no chance to regain control of any of them. And that goes for pretty much all tank classes.

She's also under the expertise Cap.
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    Most boss-fight adds and trash mobs are level 92 though, so not really going to matter there.

14.95% doesn't really count as "under" the exp. cap.

Given that she is using stamina gems and is slightly under the expertise cap, is she using the default stat weight on Ask Mr Robot?

Quote Originally Posted by Valaras View Post
    14.95% doesn't really count as "under" the exp. cap.
    Except that given that timing ShotR is kinda a a big deal, yes it is. Why did you die on bossdudeX? oh he parried my last CS so i only had HP and couldn't get ShotR up to counter Snapping Bite/Fatal Strike/just plain old melee. Being even a a little under the caps opens you up spike events just from boss regualr melee, and whats she gaining for it in this case? Parry! look at her boots! Mastery/parry with the mastery reforged to expertise! she could reforge the parry to expertise be about 0.1% rating over the expertise cap, but have 0.27% more mastery for the cost off 0.28% parry. A very small price to pay for never having your abilites whiff.
    MoP RPS Calculator

Tanking with the Blessing of Kings - The TankSpot Guide to the Protection Palad

She's going back to the haste>mastery build for this weeks attempt. There are logs of last nights attempt in the holy paladin healing guide as I believe I'm doing something wrong, and we didn't down him last night if you care to take a look.

guys any advice in general i want to improve my game play

here is my character armory
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/draenor/S%C3%A0g%C3%A8/advanced
    and please look at this log for Ji Kun 10H fight.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-kxo1jlopydiyb00r/dashboard/?s=478&e=868

T
    hanks

Quote Originally Posted by pc999 View Post
    guys any advice in general i want to improve my game play

here is my character armory
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/draenor/S%C3%A0g%C3%A8/advanced
    and please look at this log for Ji Kun 10H fight.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-kxo1jlopydiyb00r/dashboard/?s=478&e=868

T
    hanks
    Sorry I took so long to answer, but I've been really busy the last two weeks.

You're currently logged out in holy spec, however from the items in your "recent activity" feed it looks like you're doing ok with them and your reforging. Talents are fine, although I do prefer Unbreakable Spirit for more frequent Divine Protection casts. Are you using the Divine Protection glyph at all?

Your Ji'kun log:

Holy power usage is fine, no large amounts of wastage of Holy Power. You need to use Divine Protection more often, you only used it three times in a fight that lasted 6:30. If you had used the second Avenging Wrath cast a little earlier you would have got a third cast in before the end of the fight, ready for the bloodlust/time warp.

Updated for Patch 5.4. If anybody sees anything I've missed please tell me here (with chapter reference if possible)

I'm sure you'll see soon if you haven't already, but fyi Blizzard ninja-nerfed Lights Hammer a few hours ago on PTR. So, very end of section 3 needs a revision. Hopefully it doesn't go live though. Capping the players healed at 6 seems like it's going to hit 25m a lot harder than 10m as far as the utility of the ability goes. Still a solid AOE dps cd though.

Blizz says that the over-all amount healed should remain the same, so it is healing less people, but for more. it also now avoids healing totems, bloodworms and ghost iron dragonlings, which is a major buff IMO.

My understanding of it was that it was healing/doing damage to everything in the 10 yard radius for the tooltip amount, so it didn't really matter that it was healing pets. It is entirely possible that there was fine print I was un-aware of though.

yeah but for every target over the first 6 the total healing received was decreased, so if you had a DK tank, 3 blood worms 11 ghouls a pally tank with a dragonling, a hunter pet, a Rogue with 3 juju gnomes, thats 22 targets being healed by the hammer, and while its not even effective healing formost except the two tanks, the heals received by everyone are reduced because there's more targets in the hammer
    MoP RPS Calculator

yeah but for every target over the first 6 the total healing received was decreased, so if you had a DK tank, 3 blood worms 11 ghouls a pally tank with a dragonling, a hunter pet, a Rogue with 3 juju gnomes, thats 22 targets being healed by the hammer, and while its not even effective healing formost except the two tanks, the heals received by everyone are reduced because there's more targets in the hammer
    ^ that

Actually, you could put 3 more people in there before you got to the reduction part. Pets and minions do not count towards the target cap even though they get healed by it. If I added those 3 extra player into your example, I'ld be healing 25 targets for 100% of the tick cap, or just over 416% of the intended max.
    This is exactly how Resto Shamans did Tsulong, by having 50+ pets in a Healing Rain with only the boss and few other people (= 8+ times the cap in healing done) and then use all splash healing cooldowns to direct all that healing to the boss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Protection Warrior Spreadsheet

So question -- what sort of effect did the Sacred Shield nerf actually do? I'm not sure I understand the charges bit and what it means. Does it work like Savage Defense now, where it runs out of charges and does nothing even though you cast it? Or does it just proc a lot less?

Mechanics stay the same, haste scaling stays the same; the AP scaling has been nerfed to make the size of the absorb roughly 30% smaller. While Eternal Flame's heal and HoT amount have been increased by a substantial amount, something like 40% IIRC.

+ Reply to Thread