+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Theramore Event

Theramore Event

So the Offical Forums are exploding with QQ over the Theramore Senario and sometimes I just don't get what people expect. My understanding is that Senarios are basically a form of group quest; they're not an heroic dungeon, not an heroic raid, they're a group quest. You don't need a group combo.

Personally, I thought it was kind of fun to run around the port zerging Horde and seeing the destruction of Theramore. I've heard the horde side story is a bit better, but my horde toons aren't 353 ilvl yet.

So, taking it for what it was, a glorified group quest, it was fine; I had fun with it - we overgeared the crap out of it, and that will change at 90 I'm sure.

I'm convinced that the player base will never, ever, ever be happy. The cool kids hate on Blizzard so all the others follow. Durring the pre-launch event for WoLK (I know this was not a world pre-launch event per se) all people did on my server was QQ about the plague it being an annoying event. Now people are glorifying it. Just wait, about 6 months from now as we wait for a patch, people will be saying how great Cata was and how they wish that it was back.

The one thing I take issue with, is that the bomb could not have been a real Goblin bomb, since if it was, it would have fallen half way down, exploded and destroied the airship that was carrying it - "Goblin products are built to blast."

I was under the impression that it was designed and built by the Magisters of Silvermoon, originally to destroy any Undead invasions of the Ghostlands and Evensong Forest (now you know why you want the Sin'dorei on your side - betray us at your peril!).

That explains why it worked.

I was actually informed (and I think so was Lore) that the Alliance side is better.

I think it's mostly a perception thing. But the QQ that has come out of this is hilarious and priceless!

Tankspot Moderator
    Twitter: Follow me on Twitter! @Krenian

"Damnit!" - Jack Bauer, 24

Quote Originally Posted by Krenian View Post
    I was actually informed (and I think so was Lore) that the Alliance side is better.

I think it's mostly a perception thing. But the QQ that has come out of this is hilarious and priceless!
    I did both sides, and they're very similar. The only real difference is the ending quest. Also, the cinematic plays at the end of the Horde one, and at the start of the Alliance one. It's a nice diversion for some quick JP with a couple buddies. Nothing more than that. Not everything has to require planning or the Trinity.

As to QQ, yeah, not sure what people expected. It's a lot like a quick 6-quest Instant Adventure from Rift with 3 people. And I also agree with Theotherone that bashing Blizzard is now 'cool', so the kids just jump on anything to whine about, even though they're still playing the game every night.

No, the zombie event was the single greatest temporary thing that blizzard had put in this game. it hit every point of "fun" in a game. It let you crate a zombie horde, unify the player base across factions, fight to survive (a fight that, if you felt you didnt want to play along, was truely scary), and gave you a reason to roam the world.

people complained that it intruded on their game play, but at this point im sure something like this would have been welcomed.. we arent coming out of TBC where only 1-5% of guilds cleared the content before the nerf, and 6-20% of the population that cared about raiding cleared after the HUGE nerf to all raids...

83% of all guilds that wowprogress tracks have killed deathwing on normal. people needed something to do. in TBC, they didnt have this issue, people were still working on the content when they started the event and it impacted their ability to raid.

so yes, then it was a problem, now it looks good because it would work well now.

Good point about the zombie event as I look back at it in light of the stats. I never really understood what it was at the time since I had only started playing that September and all I knew was Booty Bay, where I was questing, kept getting filled with zombies and people kept opening these crates messing things up. That's when the QQ went viral on my server.

Blizzard is a victim of its own success; the audience is so large to diverse that there is no way in hell to please everyone, especially when those that get something they like, feel compelled to attack things that other people like. It's such a dynamic of greed and envy. And there's this vocal group on the forums that belittle anything that's not a super, uber heroic, hard mode, million mechanics boss fight that only .000000000000000000000001% of the player base can kill. Not that any of the vocal minorty will ever kill that boss until 4 X-pacs later. That vocal minority then breeds a group think and people just forget about having some light hearted fun is also part of a game. You're become a flame target if you like LFR or Senarios or Pet Battles.

As Mavfin said this is a divervsion to get some quick JP without needing the trinity, no more, no less. I don't understand why if people don't like them, they just don't do them. The game is trying to appeal to a broader base; I like having different ways of getting JP, I mean chaing heroics after while just sucks.

I don't know, I personally enjoyed the Senario and am looking forward to see these at 90.

Quote Originally Posted by squats View Post
    83% of all guilds that wowprogress tracks have killed deathwing on normal. people needed something to do. in TBC, they didnt have this issue, people were still working on the content when they started the event and it impacted their ability to raid.
    That is a very misleading statistic. For it to have any relevance we also need to know what percentage of ALL guilds WoWProgress actually tracks...including those that don't raid at all.

I'll admit that I'm highly disappointed. Don't get me wrong the scenario is great for what it is supposed to be, but I feel like the decision to not do a launch event for the first time ever was a poor choice. If the horde and alliance are supposed to be going to all out war in this expansion then even as simple a thing as having horde/alliance npcs attacking capital cities would have been interesting.

Some said there's a blue post indicating that a world event is coming. I can't find it, but if I do I'll post it.

i agree that the QQ was mostly justified for a few reasons:

1) it was very hard to understand the story, or why we're there, or what we're doing. once i read up on the lore surrounding the event, it made a lot more sense, but some of that lore could have been incorporated into the game better (or at all). a big part of creating fun gameplay (imo) is to engage players in the story.

2) the build-up. it seemed like there were a lot of blue posts about an "exciting" even coming pre-MoP. this scenario was so short, so easy, and so meaningless, that many people felt let down. maybe the expectations were too high, but this was more along the lines of a holiday boss event.

3) comparison to past xpacs. i know blizzard said this was different from previous xpac events, but i think they failed to convey just HOW different. like "huge world zombie invasion of which you get to be an integral part" vs "10 minutes killing trash".

if we ignore the xpac and take the scenario by itself, i think it was ok. not terrible, but certainly not great. i'm actually really looking forward to scenarios, but i am expecting a bit more out of them. i like the 3-man group size, and the trash difficulty was fine. however, as i mentioned before, the story was non-existent, and the objectives seemed random. why are we wasting time burning ships when jaina is alone inside? shouldn't that wait until AFTER we help secure the focusing iris? why are we gathering flags and destroying a battering ram while she attunes the focusing iris? wouldn't it make more sense to stay and protect her?

i think more interaction with the main NPC's would have helped a lot. that puts in a natural pause and would be a chance to explain and advance the scenario's story.

i guess there's some book spoilers below, so stop reading if you care.

the cutscene was weak. during that same timeframe when the zeppelin approached, they could have added kalecgos' failed attempt to stop it. i'm still curious how the goblins knocked the leader of the blue dragonflight into the ocean; it must have been some epic goblin device that i would like to see in action. we should have also witnessed rhonin's sacrifice to save jaina; that's kind of a major lore character being knocked off, and helps explain why this normally calm woman is so pissed off.

so yeah,
    [QQ]theramore scenario is weak[/QQ]

as long as panda is good, this is minor QQ for me. if this xpac is as weak as cata, i'll probably find a different MMO to play; we actually have many options out there.

for now, i can't wait to fight off the hordes of invading pandas.

Wait, Rhonin dies? The leader of the Kirin Tor from Dalaran? The guy who gives the Violet Hold (Discretion is Key) quest? The guy who makes the big deal about killing Algalon after you turn in Security Code Alpha? That Rhonin? He's dead and they didn't fucking tell us in the Senario?

I can now see why people are so pissed off at the lack of story.

If this is post Deathwing, Kalecgos is nothing more than an ordinary dragon, the Aspects' power is was drained when DW got smoked; isn't that what the cut scene says after the DW fight.

As are Krasus, Marcus Jonathon and more that they don't even bother to mention were in Theramore - not that you'd know that they were actually there.

Aren't they in the central tower? at least for the horde I noticed a bunch of neutral mobs with recognizable names.
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

The Alliance scenario starts after the bomb has dropped, so there is no tower :P

Quote Originally Posted by JainZar View Post
    The Alliance scenario starts after the bomb has dropped, so there is no tower :P
    The reason the scenario sucks isn't because it's easy. There's no lore. It's just go here, blow this up, kill this thing, kill that guy, let him out and then the goblins blowed things up....maybe. The horde cinematic doesn't show an aftermath. It just seems lacking in every aspect of RP. Kind of lacking if you asked me. The ease and lack of decent drops could be justified by a little story.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post

The one thing I take issue with, is that the bomb could not have been a real Goblin bomb, since if it was, it would have fallen half way down, exploded and destroied the airship that was carrying it - "Goblin products are built to blast."
    Kinda off the original topic here - I finally leveled my Warrior, the first toon I created in this game, to a high enough level to max out my professions. I have Engineering as one, and it's my first toon with Engineering. I put the belt tinker to run fast, and did notice that it could backfire and basically cause damage.

At about level 77 or 78, and not having used it really at all. I was doing a random dungeon and wanted to show out with my tinker, right after killing a boss or something and my health was low, keep in mind that at this level I only have 15k or so, I hit my tinker and never went fast. I kept wondering why my health was dropping; a curse from the boss? killed him many, many times and never remember one. Waiting on the healer to heal me, it never came. when I realized the tinker back fired, I killed over dead.

I could only lol, and think that Engineering rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksend View Post
    Best bet also is find 2-3 healers you know to q with and tell them to forget everyone else and just keep you alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Michultradk View Post
    I put the belt tinker to run fast, and did notice that it could backfire and basically cause damage.
    My mage was my first Engineer (I have three) and I leveled it durring WoLK. At first the rocket boosts were foolproof - then at some point they made them able to malfunction. I first learned of this change in ICC and was going to sprint through the middle area where the portal to the LK was, but got on the ramp hit the boosts and shot straight up into the air pulling the Valk flying overhead and wiping the raid. In retropsect, it was soooo cool.

I hope they do more with Engineering in MoP.

Finally Garrosh listened to me and made his move against the Alliance. This is what I tried to whisper to his ear after he became our warchief. Thrall was too weak to lead us to battle. And we had to work with them in many places (neutral areas where those bastards gave quests and made us run like fools).

I don't know if I want to kill Garrosh.. I am a proud warrior of the Horde and my hammer is his tool. His wish is my command. VICTORY OR DEATH - For the Horde! This is the oath we all took. Remember your place, fellow warriors. Do not betray him like taurens did. Their leader is weak. There is only one punishment for treason..

Too long have the Alliance killed our soldiers and raped our women and children. Burned our houses and hunted us like animals. For too long they have been attacking our territories. It's time to finish this. Many cities will burn and thousands of soldiers will die before we have Wrynn's head on spike. First city is down already.. This is glorious day! Finally, it's payback time.

We made a video of Theramore's Fall.

There should be an option to play with Garrosh if you want to follow him to the end. Garrosh and his army with players against big raids of rebels and the Alliance. That would be AWESOME! Death to those who betrayed us!
    Last edited by Rezu; 09-21-2012 at 04:37 PM.

+ Reply to Thread