+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Minimum heroic level

Minimum heroic level

Ok, what is the REAL minimum level for tanking heroics? I just bought my second piece of 397 gear, which brings my ilevel to 337. When I went for the random daily, it said heroic, and at first I was happy that I finally qualified. It put me in a heroic lost city at level 337, and you can imagine how that went. Even the trash was trucking me. First boss poked out my eyeball and face raped me. So, after making as ass of myself, any suggestions as to what the actual level is that I should shoot for before I hit heroics?

ilvl329, that just how hard stuff hits when you don't over gear it
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

I leveled a new horde DK tank few months ago (decided i wanted a horde server) and made the decision I would not gear her until MoP because of the very circumstances in your post. The original cata heroics were hell when they first dropped and we were running them in guild groups and lfr where you had a chance to get raiders gearing up. Now, so close to the end of the expansion, they're just filled with clueless idiots. I occassionally will go in on my main (406 ilvl holy pally) just to see what it's like; Beyond Thunderdome comes to mind.

You're better off waiting 10 days, getting MoP and getting the quest gear, it's better than what drops in the original cata heroics anyway. Also, the MoP dungeons will be more like the HoT ones; not idiot proof, but close.

once you can que for it you can tank, just need decent heals, dps who know how to cc and to manage your cds correctly. They arent hard its just most people out gear them now so they go in assuming its gonna be a faceroll and dont do what they need to.
    also, the HoT ones aren't idiot proof?

What class is your tank and are you maing good use of its defenesive abilites? are you keeping Weakened Blows up?
    MoP RPS Calculator

Quote Originally Posted by captanmurdoc View Post
    also, the HoT ones aren't idiot proof?
    Nope. Tanks in pvp gear with no avoidance standing the fire on Baine; dps who don't throw the totem; "you mean that purple stuff on Sylvanas is bad?"; "oh, that marker was so we all focus fire on the ghoul"; "you mean you have to dispel the purple debuff on Archbishop"; "move her out of the red stuff, MOVE HER YOU IDIOT";.....

For us mere mortals the original cata heroics at appropriate gear levels were difficult,especially in lfg; lack of cc, healers with no mana pool; bosses that hit stupid hard for the level - they were a disaster in the begining with an lfr group.

Heck, I'm gearing a prot warrior that I have procrastinated on. At 370 iLvl the healers act like they struggle. I was running with a 350 iLvl shadow priest guildie who healed me multiple times after the healer went down and he said in shadow I'm easy to heal. It seems the average healer in LFD right now is anything but...average.

I am a Pally, I rock WoG, but still... also, fucktard hunter thought it was funny to have his pet growling and opened up on everything. I understand the gear grind is pointless right now, but I sat out Cata and just want to see the heroics. I found the ICC heroics kind of easy, but I did have a great healer. I went back and got a better group and we rocked it, so mabey it wasn't all me, but I always believed the mark of a good tank was saving people from their own mistakes. However, I don't taunt off of hunters anymore.

337 is fine for heroics, but you and your party will have to work for it. The healer, especially. Ideally run with guild mates. When the Cata heroics came out, PUGing them was very difficult and even in my guild, we felt they were like mini-raids. Gear inflation of your party members makes them easier now, but there also tends to be a negative sample selection effect - better players may stick to the HoTs, as the rewards are much better.

It will be very hard if you don't use CC. Make sure you have repentance and try to get other players with CC to use it - assign marks before the pull.

Learn boss tactics in advance. I found normals great training for handling trash packs (learn which pulls are the dangerous ones and which mobs should die first) but not bosses, they are MUCH harder on heroic - you have to read up on them.

Make sure you are up on how things work with active mitigation. Once you get holy power rolling, you will be ok. But on the pull, consider popping sacred shield, glyphed divine protection, holy avenger and avenging wrath - or some subset of those - to buy you time.

Or just outgear them. Get to itemlevel of about 346 for normal heroics, the high 360s for the HoTs. I tend to prioritise a good weapon, as your party will forgive you a lot if you keep aggro locked down. If you die, it's still more likely the healer's fault than your own.
    Last edited by theodisius; 09-15-2012 at 04:40 AM.

You are not there to save people from themselves. You are there to keep aggro off the healer.
    MoP RPS Calculator

i like that teng, im gonna have to remember that one hehe

+ Reply to Thread