+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Weekly Marmot - Challenge Accepted

The Weekly Marmot - Challenge Accepted

Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

1) Don't listen to the people complaining about the microphone being in the shot. You are not doing a drama, you are talking. Any talk show shown on TV (ESPN Morning show, for instance) always has the mic's right next to the person's mouth. This avoids a lot of background noise.

2) Challenge modes, if they play as the devs are gushing about, seem like they will be a lot of fun. I just hope I can find a group of people that won't complain and quit after the first try

Challenge modes for me have never been about the medal, but the time. It has a potential to be a very long lasting content that is easy to organize but hard to pull off.
    Not a lot of people can participate in the 25-h world first race (or even the 10 man race at that). A 5 man race seems like something that is much more approachable, and the race does not end just because someone got gold first.

We may get to see some extremely talented/skilled players that could not participate in the PvE race because of time commitments, and may also see the PvP playberbase participating in it

I am cautiously optimistic for challenge modes. That said I personally would prefer for them to just implement an actual 5 man progression path (call existing heroics, normals ... then have heroics that provide gear equal to LFR) ... but challenge modes will still scratch a good portion of that itch for compelling, competitive 5 man content.
    RIP Stormrage Horde ('05 - '11). Turaylon Horde since 11/11 where there's actually people
    GM of Neolutum (always recruiting, PM me)

I really can't say I'm excited about challenge modes, because I haven't experienced them yet. I can, however, say that I'm excited about the implementation of a system that allows content to stay current forever. The reality is, that if they never nerf challenge modes (and I see no reason why they'd ever feel compelled to), the MoP challenge mode dungeons should stay just as difficult through the whole expansion and through every expansion to come. To me that is a great feature that increases the end game content of the game, because everything they apply this system to becomes end game content forever. Now, if they ever chose to recycle content by creating challenge versions of old content instead of the way they recycled content in Cata, I'd be all for that.

In July they had the scarlet halls open for testing in the challenge mode setting. Our guild is the best 25 man guild on our server and..wow. The first shot we took at it we couldn't even complete it. The trash packs had abilities which caused a lot of issues for even CCing them. They had 2 or 3 people in the groups which would clear all CC and the casters were able to hit you for around 80% of your HP as a DPS. If they haven't toned down the difficulty then challenge modes are pretty difficult content and require you to know what every trash mob's abilities are, which to cc how to quickly LoS to be able to keep your CC's in place ect and the only thing I really had to say after 40+ Minutes of dieing to 5 man trash again..YAY A CHALLENGE! Again, speaking with a 2 month old experience of them, but if they stay the same way they previously were it really was like heroic raiding squished into 5 man content and I couldn't be happier about them.

All I know is it reminds me of the timed runs in vanilla of Stratholm ... which were some of the most fun I ever had in a 5 man. I welcome the return of this amazing type of content.
    RIP Stormrage Horde ('05 - '11). Turaylon Horde since 11/11 where there's actually people
    GM of Neolutum (always recruiting, PM me)

Quote Originally Posted by feralminded View Post
    All I know is it reminds me of the timed runs in vanilla of Stratholm ... which were some of the most fun I ever had in a 5 man. I welcome the return of this amazing type of content.
    I only did the ZA 5 man timed runs; but we had the LFD 15% nerf (buff whatever). I'm looking forward to challenge modes; I think it's an elegant solution to the "don't nerf raids crowd". A special place for the those that want a real challenge that comes with bragging rights and transmorg gear. I know I'll never get a gold, but I want to try and I want those that want the real hardcore challenges to have a place to call their own.

I just hope they never make Challenge modes part of LFG; it's when the casual (and I don't mean that in any bad way) crowd starts having access in and LFD format that nerfs happen. "We want to clear the content, we want a chance to get the cool transmorgs, we don't have time to form groups, we're not in a guild, etc." Some of that was vaild for gear when you make end game THE game, but not for something like this.

There's nothing wrong with having a special feature that's billed as special for a limited portion of your customer base that only gives bragging rights, ahciev and transmorg - nothing tangible like gear. Not everyone can hit from the black tees; not everyone can hit from the three point line, not everyone can hit a 95 mph fastball (unless its' thrown my Phil Hughes or Soriano), so not everyone can get a gold, silver or bronze.

Lore,I am not sure if you missed it but everytime i have seen them talking about challenge modes blizzard reps have been comparing them to be as difficult as BC heroics. BC heroics werent that hard for me and my friends. We ran in with cc and would do fast runs back in the hayday oh wow in my opinion.I was a fury war that could never go in most heroics cause oh no cc, but luckily for me i had a druid tank buddy that kicked ass and could chain pull. Since BC dungeons and heroics have been a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Tholo View Post
    Lore,I am not sure if you missed it but everytime i have seen them talking about challenge modes blizzard reps have been comparing them to be as difficult as BC heroics. BC heroics werent that hard for me and my friends. We ran in with cc and would do fast runs back in the hayday oh wow in my opinion.I was a fury war that could never go in most heroics cause oh no cc, but luckily for me i had a druid tank buddy that kicked ass and could chain pull. Since BC dungeons and heroics have been a joke.
    Well, think about running Shadow Labyrinth or other BC Heroic *in 115 blues*, not in T4/5/6.

You had to have your head on straight for that. Crushingly difficult? No. Faceroll? Not that, either. But definitely something to pay attention to. And you can't outgear Challenge mode.

BC heroics were substantially nerfed in patch 2.1.0 (about four months after BC release). Past statements from blue posters have indicated that they're talking about pre-nerf BC heroic difficulty when they compare the two. You may be talking about those as well, but it's unclear.

Today GC said that bronze was for completion really, like, there is no way you are going to complete it and don't get bronze. This is like the old heroic mode (because the one that now is called heroic is only normal with numbers for 90's) but without stats in the gear as prize.

I have no idea where silver will be.

Now, about how hard gold will be, I think the vast majority of players just lack the interest to try that many times so their skill is capable to adapt to this mode of playing so they'll tell you it is hard and blizzard would had achieved success.

It will be a bit like hardcore raiding in the sense that your progression, in this case "your best time" will be based on the number of attempts and your skill to learn from each attempt.

There is people that no matter how many times they try they won't be able to get gold (if they make impossible to carry one player I think that would be hard enough for me to say good job Blizzard).

There is people that will need to read and watch guides, ask help from guildes to do it after every other guy has mastered them, then after many attempts and some luck with his group in one attempt they'll get gold.

From there gold it will be achievable for everybody else.

Now, there will be some (a large value for some) people that will try to be the best, those people will have something to work, and with every nerf to some classes and buff to others they will revisit their strategies to get one less second. Having your own group of people that is fighting for this (close to the top), that will be HARD, in the same sense that pvp is hard, you have other humans trying to beat you, that is something that a computer program can't do (while being a fair computer program, any programmer can do a program that cheats).

Quote Originally Posted by mavfin View Post
    Well, think about running Shadow Labyrinth or other BC Heroic *in 115 blues*, not in T4/5/6.

You had to have your head on straight for that. Crushingly difficult? No. Faceroll? Not that, either. But definitely something to pay attention to. And you can't outgear Challenge mode.
    I did that when I leveled up my alts and it wasn't difficult. It was fun as long as the people you were running with would CC and watch to reapply CC. The out gearing was a different issue your right I wasn't really thinking about that part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    BC heroics were substantially nerfed in patch 2.1.0 (about four months after BC release). Past statements from blue posters have indicated that they're talking about pre-nerf BC heroic difficulty when they compare the two. You may be talking about those as well, but it's unclear.
    I hadn't seen anything with them talking about pre-patch 2.1.0. I was assuming they just meant BC Heroics period. So I have most likely misspoken and am sorry about that.

Not only server first, the in game leaderboard show the best realm time and guild time. Think that will lead to competition, hell yes.

If someone has the realm fastest time and/or guild fastest time, you think they will sit by and allow someone to knock them off the top spot for long.

Plus, there is a personal best time, everyone always want to beat their personal best.

And you know, someone will figure out how to display gold medal quality runs side by side. You have a teams pick three competitive dungeons, run a commercial before and after each run. Best two out of three for best run times. Viewing times will be between 30 mins to and hour for three matches.

Not just realm-wide. This was posted by Watcher earlier today:
    Leaderboards will also display information on a regionwide basis as well as by realm.

I'm curious if they will "nerf" your ilevel with the gear you have on, or if it will be preset stats.

For example, holy pallies atm (I know it's only 5.0 atm so it may change) Mastery is a VERY good stat. if my gear is stacked with mastery will I have a "nerfed" higher mastery than if I had a lot of haste on my gear?

It wouldn't be too bad either way, but it might mean more grinding to get items that are the best for your class. Not that you wouldn't anyways, but if I know that 5 man heroic gear there isn't always perfectly itemized gear, leading to being able to get better times in later tiers when you can get better itemized gear and pick and choose what stats you have.

This could possibly lead to, for example, using shoulders from T14, the weapon from tier 15, the shield from 5 mans, and the legs from rep/valor. I don't know off hand if those locations to get gear are anywhere near accurate, just using that as an example of what I mean.

http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/233541-useful-challenge-mode-question/

Your gear does affect the stat distribution. Your hit and expertise remain fixed, and everything else gets nerfed (a bit more than you'd expect to compensate for the retained hit/exp). There will be some potential for min-maxing based on horizontal upgrades, and they're okay with that for the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/233541-useful-challenge-mode-question/

Your gear does affect the stat distribution. Your hit and expertise remain fixed, and everything else gets nerfed (a bit more than you'd expect to compensate for the retained hit/exp). There will be some potential for min-maxing based on horizontal upgrades, and they're okay with that for the moment.
    Marco thanks a ton for showing me that. I wasn't against it, was just wondering about that.

Well, thats awesome news. I just don't know what I think about people that are so pro they can get it in earlier tiers, then the guys that 'overgear' the content by getting better statted gear in later tiers. (FYI: I know you cant overgear the challenges, I just meant by getting better optimized gear in later tiers)

Pretty OP for healers IMO. Since they don't have a stat that needs to be kept static, but at the same time, the scaling for spirit and INT could suck pretty bad.

I can see a metal penis!
    To be honest it was less distracting when it was above you in the screen...

+ Reply to Thread