+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Missing Training Dummy, Even With Capped Hit/Exp

Missing Training Dummy, Even With Capped Hit/Exp

So, I just regemmed/reforged/reenchanted my gear, to get to the hit and expertise caps. Numbers are:

Hit 7.50%
    Expertise 14.49% (leaving a 0.51% parry chance for bosses)

I went to try out my rotation on the Raider's Training Dummy, and I'm getting misses (which should be 0%) as well as way more parries than what a 0.51% parry chance would suggest.

Does anyone know why this is? According to my stats, I should never miss, and only get a parry approx. once out of every 200 attacks. Also, every single one of my autoattacks is a glancing blow, dealing around 100 damage (with normal-mode Souldrinker). Did the Raider's Training Dummies get ninja upgraded to level 93 or something?

The new boss dummies are level 93, not 88.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravy
    Any plan that doesn't call for the end of the world or the extinction of the human race isn't a good plan

Ah, I suspected as much. Thanks for the reply, that certainly explains why I'm having issues Guess I'll go train on the regular lvl 85 Dummy then.

I almost started this exact same thread patch day, lol. It hit me just in time. Are we going for parry cap?

I am. its not like Expertise halves it's value once you reach the dodge cap like pre-MoP. Unless of course you're specifically gearing around bosses that can't parry, like Ultraxion.

im personally not bothering going for parry cap as a dps warrior since ill spend most my time behind the boss where it can't parry. as a tank it may be different

Unless you are tanking (and even then in most cases) I would not be doing for the parry cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishau View Post
    Unless you are tanking (and even then in most cases) I would not be doing for the parry cap.
    Well obviously gearing for the parry cap is worthless as DPS...if you're attacking from the front as DPS you're doing it wrong (and should get cleaved square in the face for your idiocy).

However, as Teng said, expertise provides exactly the same value post-dodge-cap as it does before it (since parry doesn't get removed until AFTER you're after the dodge cap now). Since you DO want your abilities to hit (meaning not get parried as much as not get dodged or straight miss), adding post-dodge-cap expertise makes perfect sense for a tank...doing otherwise, in fact, invalidates the whole exercise of stacking "hit the monster" stats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravy
    Any plan that doesn't call for the end of the world or the extinction of the human race isn't a good plan

Can definitely agree with the need for stacking expertise to the parry-cap. I was trying out the new prot rotation on the training dummies, and I was getting dodged/parried/misses a lot (granted, that was because I wasn't aware that the dummy's level had been increased to 93), and it made it impossible to keep any kind of sustained uptime on Shield Block. Often I'd go 30 seconds or more between being able to SB, simply because 50% or more of my Shield Slams/Revenges didn't connect. While this was in huge part due to the 8 levels of difference between myself and the target dummy, it served as a crystal-clear reminder of why hit/expertise it important to tanking now. Miss a Shield Slam, you're 15 (20 with SnB) rage short of what you should have been, and it'll take longer before you're able to Shield Block/Barrier again, which could easily spell the difference between survival or a raidwipe once MoP raiding starts rolling.

A hage amount of your age as prot warrior comes from either critically blocking, parrying, or dodging boss attacks. Hit and expertise are very powerful stats for a protection warrior, but they pale in comparison to bosses with fast attack speed, conversely a low attack speed, or not getting attacked becuase the target is a caster/dummy, is going to destroy your RPS.

Even if parry/dodge are nice for tanking melee mobs I think I'll keep my focus on mastery > exp > hit until I get as close to the hit/exp caps as I can without going over. Similar to how tanks want to make damage less spikey I think capping hit/exp will make rage gen more reliable and less spikey early on. Plus once they are capped you never have to worry about them again and can focus all your energy towards Mastery > Parry > Dodge.

+ Reply to Thread