+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: WoD - Protection Warrior Spreadsheet

WoD - Protection Warrior Spreadsheet

I finally have my spreadsheet in a semi-presentable manner. I'll likely keep this thread updated until wartotem gets a nice pretty one out again. This spreadsheet is designed for level 100 characters and I have no plans to add support for level 90.

The tabs you most likely care about are the stats, results, bSummary and bMarkov pages. The yellow boxes on the first tab are the inputs for the spreadsheet. Results are found - surprisingly - on the results page. This will include a summary of the base stats you provided and a comparison of each of the other primary/secondary stats. It also includes an input to compare the benefit of switching races. The bSummary/bMarkov page work together to generate your spell useage/rotation and the resulting mitigation.

This spreadsheet is more of a pocket-model than a robust metric by which to evaluate your character. I had implemented Theck's TMI system on a separate tab using piece-wise analysis of prot-warrior's mitigation, but the calculations ended up being far too heavy for the spreadsheet, and the poor thing was grinding to a halt.

I will continue to work towards meaningful metrics with which to evaluate our characters, but If you're looking for more detailed analysis (especially with the implementation of TMI) simC will continue to be the best bet.

Concessions
    • All survivability/rage gen calculations assume an ideal rps rotation. This means it does not weave SW/DR/Ravager into the rotation at the cost of rage.
    • DPS calculations, however, do make use of these dps cooldowns, and these spells are cast as though they replace devastates.
    • Thunderclap will replace devastate/revenge in aoe situations, but there is no support for replacing Shield Slam.
    • The aoe cap of ten targets has not yet been implemented. If you put 100 targets in, you won't get realistic results.
    • Resolve calculations are also dependent on the use of 10 targets or fewer.
    The spreadsheet:
    WoD - Prot Warrior - v6.01.024b

If you have any questions or suggestions, feedback is more than welcome.

Thanks,
    -booi

if someone butchers the edit version of the file, you can grab the read only version here.
    Last edited by buoy; 10-05-2014 at 02:03 PM.

Changes since last update:
    • 2014-08-05 added avatar support
    • 2014-08-05 added bloodbath support
    • 2014-08-05 added execute to spell list
    • 2014-08-05 added heroic leap to spell list
    • 2014-08-05 verified that AP from bonus armour does not get the 15% bonus from defensive stance
    • 2014-08-05 verified that bonus armour does not get the 15% bonus from defensive stance
    • 2014-08-05 added effective health calculation
    • 2014-08-05 Fixed bug with bonus armour (does not receive 15% multiplier)
    • 2014-08-05 Added leech from blood craze.
    • 2014-08-05 verified that resistance mechanics are pretty useless now. ~162 resistance for 10% damage reduction. Tol Barad trinket gives 9 resistance, sindragosa's 11. Will not add to spreadsheet
    • 2014-08-05 added 2 piece pvp trinket bonus
    • 2014-08-05 added race comparison on results page
    • 2014-08-05 theckified (floored) primary stats
    • 2014-08-05 added leech stat weight
    • 2014-08-05 added multistrike stat weight
    • 2014-08-03 fixed strength calculation (floors)
    • 2014-08-02 verified that ravager is not increased by bloodbath
    • 2014-08-02 check if shield barrier grants leech when it absorbs an attack (did not)
    • 2014-08-02 fixed stam calculation (floors)
    • 2014-08-01 Ultimatum will now correctly provide 100% crit to Herioc Strike
    • 2014-08-01 switched to steady state solution of markov transition matrix

updated to v6.01.004 (build 18689 changes)
    • 2014-08-07 normalized expected help during Worst Spike to base self-hps
    • 2014-08-07 updated shield barrier absorb value (build 18689)
    • 2014-08-07 added victory rush use from impending victory to dps calculations
    • 2014-08-07 updated thunderclap damage (build 18689)
    • 2014-08-07 updated shield slam damage (build 18689)
    • 2014-08-07 updated victory rush damage (build 18689)
    • 2014-08-07 updated execute damage (build 18689)
    Pretty happy that VR damage now outstrips devastate.

They're more or less equal damage now, aren't they? still concerned about execute.
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    They're more or less equal damage now, aren't they
    Yes, "outstrips" may have been the wrong term. Marginally ahead then.
    I like the change because it means there is a lot less cringing when I pick up the impending victory talent.

still concerned about execute.
    You're absolutely right about execute. Sudden Death ends up doing ~1% of the dps that Heavy Repercussions does, and it comes at the cost of survivability.

They will have to nerf HR which is a shame as it is, it encourages good play. I just don't get why Prot still has execute, if I'm going to spend 30 Rage and GCD a Dev and an HS combined do more damage (and if there' any RPPM stuff to proc will be slightly better as 2 attack better than 1), If I take sudden death it averages out ~52% extra weapon damage every ~22 seconds or so? Ignoring what ever the potential loss of an SnB costs. Unyielding strikes also strikes me as being some what undertuned even though it doesn't have any hidden costs like SD assuming worst case scenario its an extra HS ever ~10.5 seconds?

I still think they need to do something about the fact as we gain gear our avoidance will go up somewhat devaluing the third tier talent row.
    MoP RPS Calculator

I didn't even think of the HS+Dev > Execute argument... i don't think that there is a cleaner argument for pruning execute from prot.

You're also correct about US. I am showing HR doing ~3.8 times the damage of US. (This is without even attempting to line up shield block with shield slam)

which you wouldn't on content worth a damn. you'd SB on recharge and SS whenever. I don't think it really matters since the duration of SB is the same as the baseline CD of SS so if you press SB on recharge you are going to get 1 shield slam in regardless of the state of SS's CD with extra haste you might get a second, but because of SnB you might get 2 anyway, or 3 with enough haste, but i doubt it's worth the trouble.

If they want prot to keep execute it either needs to hit for a Truck tonne more damage for prot and/or be off the GCD.

EDIT: in all honesty i think one of the talents should be a revenge thing, HtL, or maybe a buff to secondary target damage, and a third should probably be some sort of TC buff (maybe revenge has a chance to reset the CD of TC?) or an increae to the number of targets Revenge hits, so that the tier is basically single target damage cleave damage or AoE damage.

at present all of them suffer from the problem that as we get more gear we'll be using Rev more often which means less Devs, Less SnBs and less windows to use execute. In an AoE situation our rotation defaults to SS>Rev>TC>Rev meaning US will hardly ever proc and if SD procs we don't really care
    Last edited by Tengenstein; 08-07-2014 at 10:10 AM.
    MoP RPS Calculator

v.005 up:
    • 2014-08-08 added heroic throw to ability list
    • 2014-08-08 added spike index to results page. this should help consolidate spike frequency and size
    • 2014-08-08 added resolve from magic/bleed damage
    • 2014-08-08 added dtps from boss' magic/bleed
    • 2014-08-08 fixed shockwave's CD from 45 to 40 seconds (thanks ashlan)
    • 2014-08-08 shield block uptime is now correctly labelled
    • 2014-08-08 added dps support for anger management.
    • 2014-08-08 added support for glyph of death from above
    • 2014-08-08 fixed bug on results' %differences section
    • 2014-08-08 removed support for two piece pvp trinket (thanks relimash)
    • 2014-08-08 added support for parry-haste
    • 2014-08-08 added support for glyph of resonating power
    • 2014-08-07 added deep wounds damage (how did i forget this)

Some random comments while trying to compare your spreadsheet to mine:

1. On your RPS accounting, looks like you've got berserker rage @ 1 RPS, when I think it should be 0.33 if used on CD, right? 10 rage per 30s CD

2. Your parry DR calcs seem a bit off. You've got:
    =(B70+(((B72+B71))/((0.634+((((B72+B71))*100)*0.00665))+0.956)))-(0.015*(stats!G7-B6))

Where B70 is just the baseline 3% and the last term is boss level supression. B72+B71 is pre-DR parry, from rating and strength combined.
    My version of this calculation is:
    1/(1/Constants!$B$10+Constants!$B$9/B159)
    Where, for me, B10 is "C_p"(2.37ish) and B9 is "k" (0.9560) of the parry diminishing returns calculation in this form.

Is your pre-suppression (103 boss level) parry value matching your character sheet number in game?

3. Some testing I did a while ago showed that for blood craze heals double multistrikes give an independent application of the heal (which stacks).

4. It looks like your crit block RPS calculation is actually just reporting expected # of crit blocks / sec, rather than rage per sec (different by factor of 10):
    =(((1/stats!$G$10)*B75)*(1-stats!E24))+((((1/stats!$G$10)*stats!E24)*(1-B76))*B67)
    1/statsG10 is just the incoming swings/sec. statsE24 is shield block uptime. B75 is net critical block chance per incoming hit out of shield block, and (1-B76)*B67 is net critical block chance per incoming hit in shield block. So, I think you're missing a 10 corresponding to 10 rage per enrage from a crit block. Fixing this would bring your CB rage contribution to something like 1.8 with your stats (which seem to be pre-made WoD). This is still probably a bit higher than reality, which has the 3-second ICD on CB-procced enrage (I think that's the number).

Otherwise, your relative stat valuations seem in pure DTPS terms seem largely consistent with my results. Your haste seems a bit high, not sure why. I'm seeing the same intermediate result as you, which is that haste is purely an RPS affect (rotation), and the RPS increase is just about the same as what you get from the same amount of crit rating. Crit then gets the parry-avoidance benefit.

1,2,4 are fixed in the next version (should be up later today), i'll look into #3.

thanks.

EDIT:
    Actually, number 3. Each proc provides the full benefit of the heal - that's why you don't see a HtL style calculation. But you're saying that if i have 5% multistrike that my white hits have a 10% chance to proc blood craze?
    Last edited by buoy; 08-10-2014 at 05:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by buoy View Post
    Actually, number 3. Each proc provides the full benefit of the heal - that's why you don't see a HtL style calculation. But you're saying that if i have 5% multistrike that my white hits have a 10% chance to proc blood craze?
    It's technically "Each white swing will, on average, grant 10% (2x sheet chance) of a Blood Craze proc". So at 100% Multistrike each melee will add 6% of your HP to the current Blood Craze stack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

Each attack has 2 rolls at your multistrike chance to multistrike, so our auto attacks have 2 chances each white swing to proc Blood craze. If we had 5% multistrike we'd have a 10% chance to get at least one BC proc per swing and 0.25% chance to get 2 BC procs per swing if you beleive the character sheet tooltip
    MoP RPS Calculator

Do we know if shield barrier/leech/bloodcraze are affected by multistrike/crit?
    Right now my spreadsheet assumes no.

Going over 13 pulls of twins, i can't find a situation where any of them crit. with the multistrike being combined into heals, and resolve toying with the values so much, it's hard to lock down.

Thought I'd bump this version pretty quickly, since some of the bugs are pretty major.

v.006
    • 2014-08-10 added bonus armour stat to paper doll
    • 2014-08-10 fixed blood craze uptime calculation (wasn't accounting for two chances at multistrike)
    • 2014-08-10 fixed bug with all multistrike calculations (was muddled pretty badly)
    • 2014-08-10 fixed bug where high mob count was forcing devastate use to go negative
    • 2014-08-09 fixed rage gen bug from berserker rage
    • 2014-08-09 added support for glyph of cleave
    • 2014-08-09 fixed bug with parry calculation
    • 2014-08-08 multiple mob support for damage taken
    • 2014-08-08 enrage uptime now supports multiple mobs
    • 2014-08-08 added revenge procs for multiple mobs
    • 2014-08-08 added dps for multiple mobs
    Concessions:
    • Mitigation and rps always assume an ideal survivability rotation. that is to say, devastate trumps all non-rage gen spells.
    • dps calculation will use spells instead of devastate (rage gen/survivability is not reduced because of this)
    • in aoe situations thunderclap will trump devastate, but not revenge. revenge will not trump shield slam.
    • the spell usage can get a little wonky if you start tanking 10 targets, i'll try to get around to fixing this.
    Last edited by buoy; 08-10-2014 at 06:56 AM.

Shield barrier cannot multstrike or crit. AFAIK leech affects cannot crit or multistrike either becuase their value is a percentage of the triggering spell's damage/heal, so if the triggering spell crits you get a proportionally larger heal and if multistrikes you get heal from each individual strike.
    MoP RPS Calculator

is the paper doll showing post-DR parry now? maybe it always did? or is my calculation still muddled. the paper doll is matching my post DR value to 6 decimal places.

Paper doll has shown post DR parry/dodge since at least wrath, and how much you get from rating pre-dr in the mouse over tooltip.
    MoP RPS Calculator

Paper doll has shown post DR parry/dodge since at least wrath, and how much you get from rating pre-dr in the mouse over tooltip.
    Yeah, after my post i figured that. Running on too much sleep and too many numbers i guess.
    thanks for the clarification. at least i know my calc is correct.

EDIT: too little. dammit.

just live edited the rps for crit block (still need to add 3 sec icd).

thanks again for all the help guys.

+ Reply to Thread