+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 170 FPS

170 FPS

I thought WoW was capped at 60FPS. Is this a patch 5.0.4 thing or something else?

It is only capped when you have Vsync turned on.

OK. Should I play with Vsync on if possible, or keep if off? What's preferable?

Vsync is an option used to prevent whats called "screen tearing" which is pretty much where the game is displaying information so fast your moniter can;t keep up so the picture gets all sorts of broken, so if you have issues with the graphics it's a pretty good idea to have Vsync turned on
    I remain the only warrior in all of Azeroth that can cast fireball
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?pid=398031&id=1827335559&ref=fbx_album

isn't 60 fps roughly the maximum fps the human eye can perceive anyway?
    Reev: So, do I macro /dance into Shield Slam now? Raysere: Yes, I hear it increases your DPS Gold balance gear quality attractiveness to the opposite gender considerably

Quote Originally Posted by truculent View Post
    isn't 60 fps roughly the maximum fps the human eye can perceive anyway?
    the human eye doesnt see in frames per second. our vision is fluid because light doesnt stop in the world. its just that after around 25FPS the difference between images in a frame are so small, it tricks our brain into thinking its fluid. At a point it gets hard to notice any difference tho.

Quote Originally Posted by squats View Post
    the human eye doesnt see in frames per second. our vision is fluid because light doesnt stop in the world. its just that after around 25FPS the difference between images in a frame are so small, it tricks our brain into thinking its fluid. At a point it gets hard to notice any difference tho.
    As Squats said at aproximately 25fps the human brain sees it as fluid. In Europe SDTV runs at 25FPS, and in the USA it runs at 30FPS. With the new FULL HDTV systems televisions can go as far as 50FPS in Europe and 60FPS in the USA, so 60FPS should be more than enough for anyone.

The reason you want more the 60 FPS is so that when your in a intense graph area (25 man raid with everyone AOE) you screen would never go below the 60fps. My current setup hits 200fps+.

Quote Originally Posted by ssherman View Post
    The reason you want more the 60 FPS is so that when your in a intense graph area (25 man raid with everyone AOE) you screen would never go below the 60fps. My current setup hits 200fps+.
    Not in LFR it doesn't, there isn't any hardware out there that can run LFR on ultra settings at 60 FPS at 1920*1080 or higher without dipping at all. Not even a 4.6 GHz i7 3960X and two GTX 690s can do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fetzie View Post
    Not in LFR it doesn't, there isn't any hardware out there that can run LFR on ultra settings at 60 FPS at 1920*1080 or higher without dipping at all. Not even a 4.6 GHz i7 3960X and two GTX 690s can do that.

My setup never gets below 60fps on ultra on my 37inch 1080p vizio.

cpu: i7 3930k overclocked to 4.5ghz
    GPU: gtx 670

If you need screen shots to verify just let me know.

+ Reply to Thread