+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Numpad binding

Numpad binding

I am wondering about Numpad keybinding. Ever since I started playing WOW back in 2008 I have always used the numpad to bind my keys, it seems to be easier and quicker for me to do it this way. I use the entire numpad plus surrounding keys and I guess I have long enough finger to use the arrow keys in conjunction. So I was wondering if this is bad or not, I mean I don't keyboard turn at all I am still quick and respond fast. Using WASD and the surrounding keys just gets be all messed up and I do not perform well, so I always find myself going back to the numpad. Just wondering what peoples opinion is about this?

While I used to use numpad bindings as well for a long time, I lacked
    a) the easy access to modifier buttons (Ctrl, Shift, Alt) as well as the Spacebar
    b) the sapce on my desktop to move my keyboard a foot to the left so I wouldn't be sitting in an awkard angle with my left hand.

If only there were decent left-handed mouses, I might actually go back to numpad usage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

I think the benefit is not having the rows staggered. I agree that this is a pain for me as well if I try to use wasd keybinding. It's just too easy for me to hit the wrong button on rows above or below.

My first solution for this was a Logitech G11 keyboard that had the 18 macro buttons on the left side. I could still hit modifiers (alt/ctrl) with my thumb and the buttons are actually alligned. They stopped making that layout for that keyboard and reduced the number of macro buttons on the side. I decided I should learn to play another way just in case that keyboard died so I wouldn't be totally reliant on a single piece of irreplacable hardware. I switched to a nostromo gamepad and I am liking it. I had to adjust to having only 14 buttons instead of 18 but that wasn't too bad. I actually make better use of my modifiers now and all is well.

+ Reply to Thread