+ Reply to Thread
Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 LastLast

Thread: Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide

I've done some early simming and simcraft has a lot of thing NYI, so take all of the following with a pinch of salt and expect it to change.

Part of the problem for developing stat weights for tanking, is knowing roughly how hard bosses hit and the balance between unblockable specials and melee hits, and so far we've only had the various tanking dummies in shattrah as reference point. Developing stat weights for DPS is reltively easy becuase we have almost complete access to test how each DPS mechanic works. As such for Prot warrior Tank DPS (NOT Gladiator Stance) I'd suggest the following priority

STR>Bonus Armour>>>>>>>Crit>Multistrike>>>Versatility=Master y>Haste

for TMI i'd very tentatively recommend

Stam>BA>Str>Mastery>crit>Versatility>Multistrike>A rmor>haste

The defualt simc boss models do ~75% magic damage so Stamina my be being massively over valued.
    Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide
    MoP RPS Calculator

Hunters, Just get a Sporebat, most LFRs will be missing that buff.

So I wasn't *terribly* far off then, great. I'm also considering getting the Dragon Soul set bonus to turn shield wall into a raid cooldown, but since these still have Dodge/Parry, I assume those won't be worth it. (Dodge/Parry are currently "Included" in the DPS stats, so getting only them would likely be wasted?)

I'll try and get the ToC armor trinket - is there technically a difference between the Armor that is just on your gear and "bonus armor"? Could this trinket give you the wrong kind?

Yes, Bonus armour grants AP and thus is much more useful both for DPS and smoothing.
    MoP RPS Calculator

For those who want to muck around, below is a pretty rough spread sheet I've created. (Intended for level 100, does not support level 90 characters)
    https://docs.google..../1...sp=sharing

Inputs are on the stats page, results are on the results page. Everything else is either mitigation/dps/rotational calculations
    Bonus armour seems to be our best stat and is also our second best dps stat.

Depending on your shield block usage/gear level (default values are ilevel ~565)... stat priority is likely (pure physical):
    1. Armour
    2. Strength
    3. Mastery
    4. Crit
    5. Versatility
    6. Haste
    7. Stamina
    Stamina is pretty bad. It increases your expected damage taken due to its effect on resolve. Armour reduces spike size by about half the health that the same budget of stamina would grant. Raid testing has unblocked hits taking ~20% of my health at the moment.

Anyone can edit the link above. If it gets butchered and you want to copy the original, use this:

https://docs.google..../1...sp=sharing

Still needs:
    • non-gnome racial supports
    • bloodbath talent support
    • figure out how to leave api data in cells when turning off api update
    • multiple mob support for dps
    • multiple mob support for tanking
    • add victory rush to damage list
    • blood craze
    • multistrike damage
    • magic damage
    • boss block
    • big boss abilities
    • other things
    If there's interest, I can post updates as I make them.
    Last edited by buoy; 07-29-2014 at 06:57 AM.

Thanks for a great guide! I've been playing WoW for so long but never had the inclination or nerve to try tanking. I finally decided to try a Prot Warrior so this guide will be a huge help.

Still thinking about these things. I just hit 100 on the leveling realm and find it very helpful that all the gear there is lacking Multistrike/Versatility, so I could easily almost go full mastery/crit for scaled gear if I wanted.

For premade players: Pandaria's items seem to have been converted to the Draenor model already, which means some Items now have bonus armor:
    * Mogu'shan Palace's Iron Protector Talisman has been updated to Stamina/Bonus Armor.
    * Shado-Pan Monastery has the Shield of Blind Hate with Mastery/Bonus Armor.

In terms of raids (which you should get some help for, even with the 100-PvP-Gear itemlevel it is not fun or easy to solo):
    Mogu'shan Vaults has a neck, shield, ring, and a trinket (mastery/bonus armor, which sounds like the best choice for now!)
    Terrace of Endless Spring has a Neck and Trinket (mastery/bonus armor), Heart of Fear has two Rings with it.
    (Should you be from the US, you probably know all of that already and are already going "what a plebian, has to go farm gear again".)

Buoy, for Raid tests in the foundry, we go up to about 660, does that change something about your results?

Quote Originally Posted by Vetaro View Post
    Buoy, for Raid tests in the foundry, we go up to about 660, does that change something about your results?
    The values used in the editable spreadsheet are the ones I had in foundry. (EDIT: i forgot to record weapon dps, that was a guestimate based on logs). There are a few small bugs still to fix in the spreadsheet (different races have slightly different base parry etc). Should get around to it tomorrow.
    Last edited by buoy; 07-29-2014 at 07:46 PM.

Finally had a chance to get some fixes in.

WoD - Prot Warrior - v6.0.1.002 - edit
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

changes
    2014-07-31 added dps reduction due to boss block
    2014-07-31 victory rush added to ability list
    2014-07-31 pandaren racial bonus added
    2014-07-31 worgen racial bonus added
    2014-07-31 undead racial bonus added
    2014-07-31 troll racial bonus 'ignored' - no passive bonus
    2014-07-31 tauren racial bonus added
    2014-07-31 orc racial bonus 'ignored' - no passive bonus
    2014-07-31 human racial bonus added
    2014-07-31 night elf racial bonus added (assumed night)
    2014-07-31 blood elf racial bonus added
    2014-07-31 dwarf racial bonus added
    2014-07-31 draenei racial 'ignored' as bonus stats exist in character sheet
    2014-07-31 added blood craze healing
    2014-07-31 added multistrike damage
    2014-07-31 Life Leech added
    2014-07-31 Confirmed that multistrike does not affect shield barrier
    2014-07-31 Removed bug where crit rating from flasks/food was being converted to parry rating
    2014-07-30 Solved steady state of markov transition matrix (left the old matrix multiplication in there for now, until I'm confident the steady state is bug free

couple questions, that perhaps people know the answers to:
    2014-07-31 need to verify that undead's "Touch of the Grave" is modified by versatility/resolve
    2014-07-31 check if shield barrier grants leech when it absorbs an attack

So, not sure if this is the right place to post this, but im curious on the legendary cloak. I am about to get one today, and im not sure if I should stick with the tanking one or just tank with the DPS cloak since WoD is in 2 months. Any suggestions?

Well you can buy another one for 7kg, but it depends on what content you're doing. The tank one is really nice for progression. If you're not really progressing and just want to pad damage meters, sure go for the DPS cloak, but I think it's good to have both.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Atm, im just currently gearing up and doing SoO LFR/Flex with friends

eh, kinda 6 of 1 half a dozen of the other then. If you don't have the gold to buy a second cloak and you're primarily doing LFR, then maybe just go with the DPS one. Solid play and proper cooldown usage should mitigate the need for the tank cloak proc (though it is very helpful sometimes).
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Hmm alright, think im just going to go ahead with the tank one then and buy the DPS cloak before release. Thank you for the response

Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    Well you can buy another one for 7kg, but it depends on what content you're doing. The tank one is really nice for progression. If you're not really progressing and just want to pad damage meters, sure go for the DPS cloak, but I think it's good to have both.
    I thought they nerfed the proc on the dps cloak for tank specs; is it worth getting for tanking in light of this?

Also, general question, how much control will we have over stat weights in WoD with reforging gone and gems limited. Seems we're really going to be dependent on RNG (more than usual) for playing with stat weights.

For the most part i've updated this to 6.0.2, just need to fix a few links.
    MoP RPS Calculator

Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    4:Active Mitigation, Action Priorities & Resources

The Pull

Pre-pull you will want make that if you're providing either the Attack power buff or stamina Buffs, that you have the appropriate shout active; either http://wod.wowhead.com/spell=6673 or http://wod.wowhead.com/spell=469 and then Charge.
    obviously a lot to go over, but just two quick comments.
    • the shouts don't generate rage anymore
    • the very first line of your guide still says patch 5.4
    solid as always. i'll try to throw some time at it tomorrow.

took another quick pass, likely just areas you haven't double checked, but i thought i'd copy/paste them to save you some time.

Pruned Abilities:
    we still have hamstring

Single Target:
    1. "Use Heroic Strike, if Ultimatum has procced, or if you're at 5 stacks of Unyielding Strikes (off the GCD)"
    not sure if this is intended. US is free at six stacks, not five.

Abilities:
    "if you're about to doe this should be the button you reach for instinctively." typo

The Pull:
    "I know from a dps standpoint it would be better to wait until you built some vengeance"

old info

Taunt:
    "Taunt has undergone some changes in 5.4, mainly to alleviate tanks taunting off tank s with high vengeance and losing aggro; All Taunt type abilities increase all threat generated against the target while the taunt is active by 200%. This is a bit misleading as its actually triples our threat modifier (to 3000% damage done), so if you lose aggro whilst your taunt is on CD you are doing something really wrong."

the vengeance thing is gone, not sure about threat modifier.

Active Mitigation Strategies:
    "GLyph of Heavy Repercussions" - now a talent
    "over 112 seconds," - typo
    "Now a lot of the time Sbar will actually stop more overall damage" - not true anymore:

(this is level 100, but barrier still caps at around 23% of our health at 90 t16m.

Cooldowns:
    "as well as Disarm," - gone

Talents Tier 3:
    missing unyielding strikes icon.
    if it matters dps standpoint (single target): SD > US three stacks or less > HR > US 5 stacks or less
    also US stacks to six now, not five

Talents Tier 4:
    "Bladestorm for burst AoE/twirling fabulously like the warrior princess you are" - BS not in tier 4 anymore

How to gear:
    ""

for stat weights, i was wondering what you had used to generate them, my simC results are quite different.

keep in mind this is vs TMI boss for t16 heroic which likely hits too softly (45k raw melee) - i'll have to go over some logs tonight before i finalize some figures.
    http://downloads.simulationcraft.org...oss-stats.html

didn't really go over glyphs and below since it looks like that's still a WIP
    Last edited by buoy; 10-14-2014 at 09:07 PM.
    https://twitter.com/booiwow

Cheers booi, i was using t16 heroic, which would be equivalent to t16n now....... terminology shifts suck.
    MoP RPS Calculator

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, I haven't had my coffee yet. But am I correct in assuming that mastery should be gemmed in prismatic sockets as well as yellows (for now)?
    choo choo

Pretty much.
    MoP RPS Calculator

+ Reply to Thread