+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide

I've tried the things out today, and especially on heroic madness (where I would have taken the second impale if it had come up) I found myself SBarring a lot with the excess rage. I have no idea how good of an idea this was, I just assumed all the passive damage that increases while DW's arms or wings take damage and from the blistering tendril debuff would be stopped by this. Found it hard to tell if this made any difference or if I should have just used HS.

SBarr and Vengeance both track their strength by displaying the number inside the buff, is reading this out really hard enough that this entirely overwhelming amount of code is necessary? I had hoped just making a bar that extends in relation to the number in the buff would suffice (and be relatively easy to code) :<

@ETA Both.

@ Vetaro, i don't kow how much extra rage it really is since once the bloods and the mutated corruption are down you've nothing to block, i found Execute was best

So I got into DS on live for an LFR run, my other tank was a fairly poor-geared paladin who wasn't performing- something I think we've all grown used to using LFR solo. Anyway, I got in on Hagara's trash, and my AOE threat was barely holding on, using shockwave/TC/DS and cleave when available. When it came time for single target, I couldn't keep aggro on this guy. Mind you, he had Cata-reforged, so hit was pretty low for him whereas my expertise is at 11.5 and hit is at 6%, and on a single target I am pretty much only using shield slam, revenge and devastate. It was horrible, and I'm not too sure where to go with it. Thing is, I started off with her strong and had at least 20k ap stacked up to boot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Vengeance seems to ages to stack for me

Make enrage something easier to attain for prot. Buff revenge's rage as well. I was going to say make it proc SNB also, but I'm not so sure. Just taking stabs here.

Also make sure you are in defensive stance. Last night I was in no stance on the first few pulls wondering why the boomkin was pulling agro. With the changes I don't think it puts you into a stance when you swap specs.

Enrage is fine once SB is up and running, but we need a fight starter besides charge.

Revenge is actually an interesting topic, because it falls halfway between SS and dev, both in damage and rage gained, which I think is ... uninteresting. Unless you desperately need AoE threat on 3 targets, it's always going to be SS > Rev > Dev. In fact, we are RIGHT back to the WotLK rotation (except for the Dev threat spam from the glyph), so it's basicly this:

But with Dragon Roar/Shockwave instead of Concussion Blow and Thunder Clap instead of Shockwave.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

You should define "tdr" in your glossary.

Total Damage Reduction maybe?

I do have to say that so far I'm not liking the new protection gameplay. Only ran some t11 meta achievements for some guildies playing catchup but the entire feel of the protection warrior is off for me now.

-The idea of gaining resources from taking damage is much more entertaining than the idea of gaining resources from using shield slam.

-The amount of time it takes after the pull in order to use our active mitigation is horrible.

-Anything outside of a flawless rotation simply punishes the healers, who are already being punished with the new model for mana regen.

Similarly I tried out arms and the rotation seems extremely boring now. It makes me sad when my warlock friend talks about all the changes his class received and you can hear the excitement in his voice yet when I see and think about all the class changes for warriors it just feels like a nerf in the end. The entire implementation of active mitigation so far seems lackluster for me.

I can't say much to the rage mechanics change, i prefer this method but it is entirely personal preference

However Battle Shout is 20 rage, Charge is 20 rage, Berserker Rage is 10 rage. You could get Sbar up right away ( though i wouldn't)
    or you could get SB up the moment after you land your first SS, or you take Glyph of Bullrush and bump Charge up to 30 rage and get SB up as you charge.

And to the healers being punished, well yes but how do you punish tanks? should it be a case that without a flawless rotation you we just drop down dead? or do we just lose aggro, and some other poor bugger just drops down dead. Really the only way you punish bad tanks is the same way bad tanks have always been punished, by reputation, "he's a squishy tank" "she has no raid awareness". WoW is about the trinity and for the most part your failures punish the rest of your group no matter what your role, if you're a bad DPS the other DPS have to compensate or you hit enrages. the tank has to deal with you ninja pulling, wandering into pats, failing to interupt failing to kite, failing to move out of/in to stuff, the healer has to try and heal you through the fire, or deal with you punting a meteor at them. A bad healer will force tanks and DPS to pull more DPS just so that the boss dies before he ooms, he'll force the other healers to pull more HPS to hadnle more dispels. a bad tank will force the healers to work harder, and the DPS to work harder as his makes them dance round the boss or get them cleaved.

Arms does seem boring, I may have to give Fury a try.

So my unbuffed dodge is 8.13%. On a target dummy I tested to see how much above and beyond that I would get from windwalk procs....jumped to a whopping 10.28%. Wouldn't Landslide now be the best option due to barrier's scaling??

prolly but it's a drop in the ocean. What is it 3k ap on proc with a 33% uptime? compared to how much vengeance you gain from damage on any fight that can kill you 3k is nothing. at this point i'd suggest you go with whatever weapon enchant match your transmog best.

Just wanted to thank the OP for his time, as it's great to find a current Prot Warrior guide going into Pandaland. And thx to everyone for keeping this thread hot. I play casually but try to know what's going on, so I'm in the process of re-doing my setup in both Cata and Beta and this is my main reference atm.

Thanks all!
    Last edited by Keimorl; 09-01-2012 at 01:03 PM.

I am liking my first impressions from the patch so far. Prot rotation feels a lot more involved than both Wraith and Cata, fingers crossed.

I am concerned about tank swaps. Considering we are staying in defense and vengeance accumulates much slower, you are almost forced to afk for a few seconds. This sucks.

And I will strongly disagree with comment on the 120 rage glyph. While thouroughoutput is a good generic approach, I bet there will be fights where you will pool rage and will kill for extra 20 rage in your pocket.

IF there are i will change the comment, but as yet I'm unconvinced. its not that hard if your pooling range to hold off on Battle shout, and use that sequentialy yo let you get the same effect without sacraficing a major glyph slot.

That's not really the "same effect" if you ask me. Either way you can hold off on shouting, but in one situation you've got 1 shield block, a shout and then another shield block. In the other, you have 2 shield blocks and then immediately after you get to start with 20 rage to build to the next one before the CD is up. You can burn off 2 shield blocks THEN shout. Honestly, the glyphs of hold the line and heavy repercussions are strictly offensive, which isn't bad, but it's definitely worth bringing unending rage to the table for it's defensive value. I've been using it and enjoying it at least.

Except you'd never really need to double tab SB and could just as well SB>SHout>SB and still get 12secs of SB consecutively. What Kopcap is getting at is when you want have both Sbar and SB up concurrently, and quite frankly if your wiling to delay SB (and you should be) its not to hard to time SB>shout>Sbar.

You get 120 rage + 20 vs. 100 + 20. That's the simple difference.
    If you've got the chance, to pool rage (so basically every encounter with tank swaps (and a little time to get some rage)), and the other glyphs aren't more effective, you'll want unending rage. Not because you'd want to use 2 shield blocks instantly (as there's basically no benefit to this), but simply to have more rage and thus more SB-uptime.

Another thing that worries me is Safeguard vs Vigilance. Not that I mind. I am just not sure what Bliz was thinking. Don't they realize that with current cd and without a threat drop this will become imba on some fights? I can already see double warrior squads chaining ds-sg-sw with a couple of Sbars or a trinket thrown in for close to 100% uptime on swap fights?

+ Reply to Thread