+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide

Stickied. Grats. =)

Tankspot Moderator
    Twitter: Follow me on Twitter! @Krenian

"Damnit!" - Jack Bauer, 24

Quote Originally Posted by Vetaro View Post
    On a related topic, since Vengeance is now uncapped and might, at points of heavy damage, jump to very high amounts, should we try and get an addon that displays it in the shape of a bar so we can, while it is very high, maybe use SBarr?

What about an addon that shows the SBarr shield as a bonus on our health bar like LoL does for example? I could imagine both of these to be very helpful to visually comprehend these things (that would only be visible by mouse-overing the buffs otherwise).
    Vengeance bar has been around for ages, but its pretty dumb now because of the speed of the decay its in one of two positions - on or off.

I am sure SBar will be trackable with addons like Power/Weak Auras. Just like any other absorb. I use code from here to track absorbs:

http://www.wowace.com/addons/weakaur...orb-remaining/

Careful. Resource hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    All other stats should be avoided. Theck of maintankadin.com, an author of sacredduty.net calculated that we should keep our parry chance to to about 2 or 3 times that of our dodge chance, his work is documented here

theck does amazing theorycrafting work. I read pretty much all of his other actual work on MoP Stat weights. But I wonder how much of it can we apply to the warrior.

i.e. this article is very interesting. It shows that Avoidance is king for TDR therfore making the priorities:
    Dodge=Parry>Mastery>Hit>Exp>Haste.

However since mastery and Hit+Exp have such good synergies they produce a similar level of TDR ( of course less) like the avoidance approach but giving a more controllable mitigation. therfore the priorities would be:

Hit>Exp>Mastery/Dodge/Parry/Haste.

stating in this article too

So I wonder how much of his findings can we apply to the warrior?

btw:
    Note for Warriors: We’ve just discovered that the L85 DR equations are acting funny for you in the build going live tomorrow. Your DR coefficients are different from the paladin ones (unfortunately for you, since they’re slightly worse).
    So I'm unsure how to prioritize stat weights in 5.0.4. What I know for sure: I want to be hit capped. I guess Demo Shout is affected by hit like before. So missing that Shout is not an Option. For my play style I need to know that this thing is going to hit.

So since Im prioritizing Hit Im already half way down the Hit>Exp>Mastery approach so I could go for that.

But for this 5.0.4 Patch I propaply going for Hit>Exp> Strength > Mastery
    The strength gems in 5.0.4 provide more parry then their parry rating equivalents. So strength provides more then decent defensive values as well as the most attractive dps value. In DS HC stuff that kills you atm is either unavoidable like Impale/Focused Assault or magic damage like Void Bolt / Psychic Drain so the Hit>Exp approach as a default is more suitable anyways.

what do you guys think ?

I don't think paladins crit block, do they? That's probably the reasoning you're looking for when you see mastery>expertise=hit>parry>dodge.
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

ah of course crit block messes things up.

Yeah our mastery has a feedback loop effect. the more attacks we critically Block, the more rage we generate the more uptime we get on SB which means we critically block more attacks which is why its ahead of avoidance in terms TDR, even more so with the change in our avoidance DR coefficients, which will have an effect on what parry:dodge ratio we desire.

I have noticed that Str gems do give more parry than parry gems at certain amounts of parry ( thouhg this is becuase at low amount of rating du to DRs you do actually gain more bang for you buck) and they do have a small increase in AP so there is a small increase in DPS, though its pretty much negligible. I myself weill mainly be going for Keen's in reds, fractured in yellows and puissants in green, as i'd still rather like to be able to live through impales without having too many external CDs, avoidance is an afterthought at the moment for me.

I've yet to see my own demo shout miss, and i havnet seen many other prot warriors at all so i;m not counting out the possibilty that it has the same functionailty as pummel and taunt and such won't . it seems rather unfair that DK's VB, Pallie's DP, and druid's Barkskin don;t require the hit cap, yet warrior's do for their minor CD to function reliably. i would like to have some confirmation either way.

Aye knowing for sure if demo shout can miss will be a big help. Given that hit/exp come in amounts of 320 or 160 from gems and reforging will be fairly sizable chunks as well it will be much harder to hit the caps exactly. I would much rather be a few points under the cap than over the cap unless demo shout can miss.

Demo shout is a buff on live now. Hit should no longer be in the equation!

EDIT: But Dragon Roar is not enraging me.
    Last edited by Dreadski; 08-28-2012 at 06:23 PM.

thats becuase only critical blocks or MS, CS, or BT crits enrage you.

Damn, I guess my brain totally ignored that. Might just grab Shockwave again then.

I find myself prefering shockwave. for trash anyway. are you sure DS is a buff? thats awesome.

You know what? It's a buff for you and a debuff for them. Tested on a raid dummy, no idea about hit chance at all. =(

care to note down exactly what the buff and debuff tooltips say? that sounds rather buggy...

Debuff : Demoralized, dealing 20% less damage to the shouting warrior.

Buff: Demoralized enemies do 20% less to you.

And it may not be able to miss. With no hit I went 12/12 on a Raider's dummy.

It's the same on beta. (And 12/12 is sadly not enough, to see if it really can't miss - There's only 1 miss to expect for those numbers, and... well, it's not surprising if it doesn't miss.)

DR is dps (& generally every situation, where there's no gain from the shorter CD of the shockwave stun).

Shcokwave for the stun, bladestorm for the lols, dragon roar for the DPS

Good job, Teng, keep going in the same direction and helping to a warriors comunity.

I saw you listed Demoralizing Banner as a raid CD, but I tested it a few times during raid testing on beta and I never saw the debuff on the boss or in the logs. Granted I didn't check every boss or every mob of every fight, but my guess is that most mobs and bosses in the t14 content are immune to it and the ability is meant more for pvp.

Maybe they bugged it this beta build, but I've had no problems with it working.

The raid testing occurred over several different patches, I haven't done any boss testing on the latest patch. Were you testing it in raids or dungeons?

+ Reply to Thread