+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Harsh Words and Steel: A Protection Warrior Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    But lets fool no one 3% hps whether from IV or SW isn't going let you self heal through much raid content
    That's more or less my point at SW - as i read it (Of course (, as non-native english speaker), it could be, that i've simply interpreted it wrong, but for me "This talent provides very little protection against damage spikes, but it does provide very strong self healing," means, that it provides generally very strong self healing. Which is simply not true. The only case, where it's really useful, aside from pvp, is either solo'ing (and even there only if you drop often under 35%, which isn't this easy as you've still got VR) and sometimes, especially with not-so-good heal, in 5m. (In short: the only decision i see in T2, maybe except some very specific encounters (things with stun and/or mechanics, which lead to rather long intervals under 35%), is between IV and ER, (and of those, i'd prefer ER most of the time :>) (It would be different with the old SW, so a 10s duration for the heal, but without this it's imho simply nonsense))

Meh i'm a native english speaker and butcher the language.

It does provide rediculous amounts of self healing, if you're kept below 35%. Much like IV is really good, if you actually use it, where either those events occur is a totally different story.

On CD semantics:

Technicly, cooldown is the correct word, just like percent is the correct meaning of % (while per cent is actually per 1/100th).
    Cooldown can be used as both the ability or the fact that it's recharging.

In the case of a Monk's Roll as cooldown:
    Yo dawg, I heard you like cooldowns, so we put a cooldown next to your cooldown, so your cooldown can cool down while you are being cool with your cooldown!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

Of course, but this is what should be clarified imho. As it is, your sentence simply tells a reader "SW DO GIVE U MUCH HPS!!", which is somewhat true, but only under 35%, which is kinda problematic and reduces the overall value. (It's exactly the "if you're kept below 35%"-thing - i assume, no one in his right mind would like it. :>)

The thing I like with SW though, is that while you have no 'active' selfheal (which I assume in 25mans will be a drop in a bucket), it basicly 'extends' your EHP with atleast 3% every time you drop below 35% (assuming you don't go 40 to splat in a single hit) and depending on the encounters, that might actually be something very useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

Quote Originally Posted by Airowird View Post
    The thing I like with SW though, is that while you have no 'active' selfheal (which I assume in 25mans will be a drop in a bucket), it basicly 'extends' your EHP with atleast 3% every time you drop below 35% (assuming you don't go 40 to splat in a single hit) and depending on the encounters, that might actually be something very useful.
    Agreed, unless their is a specific encounter were IV shines for some odd reason, I will likely be choosing between ER and SW for that tier. Simply depends on the fight though.

Do you have some math/theory/experience to back up the Mastery > all suggestion? I ask because I see a lot of tanks on the official boards saying to gem as follows:

Blue: Pure Stam
    Yellow: Mastery/Stam
    Red: Exp/Stam until cap, Parry/Stam afterwards

with the suggestion being to go heavy Stam (something about Sha of Fear), then Expertise > Hit > Mastery=Parry > Dodge, with Dodge being all but useless. I'm seeing a lot of advice to reforge Mastery and Parry even to Expertise/Hit and I'm trying to make an informed decision about what to do when MoP hits, but I'm really seeing a 50-50 split.

Well if you do the maths n full 496 gear with two stam trinkets, you have enough HP to survive the Sha of Fear's THrash assuming toy have SB and WB up and get zero dodges. parries, or cirt blocks or any external shields

If WB is meant to be Weakened Blows, it's something which could be added to the Terminology and Acronyms imho. :P

Well if you do the maths n full 496 gear with two stam trinkets, you have enough HP to survive the Sha of Fear's THrash assuming toy have SB and WB up and get zero dodges. parries, or cirt blocks or any external shields
    Okay, sounds good. I'm no theorycrafter (I hate math lol) so I'll take your word for it

Granted it won't be by much, but I didn't math it out with any socket bonuses, or enchants, or food, or buffs. and with 463 ilvl armour. You should have enough to survive unless you undergear it.

Granted it won't be by much, but I didn't math it out with any socket bonuses, or enchants, or food, or buffs. and with 463 ilvl armour. You should have enough to survive unless you undergear it.
    Still, it's nice to have that info. There's so much opinion and misinformation floating around being passed off as "the one true way" that it's kind of overwhelming to someone who isn't big into theorycrafting.

You simply shouldn't believe anyone, except 'famous' people (and even then you should doubt anything :P), especially not on the official forums.
    /e And also, even those informations are still... well, basically they could change with any build. It's not this probably, but still, it's never wrong to read patchnotes. :>

- AND NAO IMMA CAPPIN MA HIT! \o/

Quote Originally Posted by Arothand View Post
    Still, it's nice to have that info. There's so much opinion and misinformation floating around being passed off as "the one true way" that it's kind of overwhelming to someone who isn't big into theorycrafting.
    There is never one true way. And all the misinformation flaoting about is a pet hate of mine and probably the biggest reason i'm putting so much effort into MoP Prot. During Cata it was rediculously hard to get across just how much asshatterty o found on youtube videos, and that general guides like the ones the noxxic.com and icy-veins prot warrior guids for cata are incorrect, and even a good amount of simming won;t convince people otherwise.
    EDIT: and whilst there are few gems on the O-forums there's alot of pure cess there too and I generally avoid them like the plague

very good guide. maybe its also worth mentioning consumables/enchants. Btw consumables:

could this guy here: http://mop.wowhead.com/item=13442#comments:id=1703560 potentially be the best potion after 5.0 ?

or in other words: are 2 extra "free" Shield Block charges worth more than 12000 armor/ 4000 strength for 25sec ?
    Last edited by gom; 08-23-2012 at 05:45 PM.

Where would you get 2 extra 'free' SB charges out of 45-75 rage? (Remember: SB = 60 rage (so in the worst case, it isn't even one))
    Also, with a some gear out of the first raids, you'll be (near) SB-capped, so it will probably 'only' grant you a SBarr. It will depend on the encounter & situation, which is better. (Need burst? Get str. Overall physical reduce? Get armor. Single high hit + much vengeance? Get rage. (obviously simplified, but it's late & i'm lazy :>))
    Btw: 12000k armor would be 12000000 armor. :P Either 12k, or 12000.

fixed ^^ as you said its late. However I'll picked up some of these rage pots for 15s a piece. I'll suggest if you find some of these in your local ah for cheap don't hesitate to buy. they might be a good alternative for the start. because those other mop pots will likely be expensive at the start just saying

It's a potion, not a bloody trinket. You use what is appropriate when it is appropriate as long as you have it in your bag. That said I am stacking up on them. It will be the "default" choice, at least until Bliz decides to nerf it.
    Last edited by kopcap; 08-23-2012 at 05:57 PM.

I@m waiting on the enchants until after i can have a bette rlook at whats available at level 90, the Consumables are kind ain the same baot, i'm not really expecting Blizz to let rage pots live when the rage changes go live.

There was a point when the balancing discussion with ghostcrawler mentioned Shield Barrier being far better than Shield Block even in melee fights unless a whole bunch of fast hits is going to come in. I believe soon after that came changes to the system.

Does this guide reflect that change, or does it go off of the beta tooltips (which I understood to be "sblock > sbarrier unless magic damage or giant burst", just as the guide said as well)?

Also, at another point Ghostcrawler mentioned that berserker rage should not grant some functionality while you were already enraged (I think the +10 rage wouldn't be triggered then). Has this been reverted without a developer comment or ignored in the guide?

+ Reply to Thread