+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: MoP Cinematic Trailer Revealed!

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post
    But there's always been "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" undertone to the story.
    Yes, there always has been - the whole point of Theramore, Garrosh' constant warmongering, Varian and Garrosh's personality clash was, unless I'm mistaken, aimed at putting the Horde and Alliance back at each others throat, as opposed to the skirmishes that were present under Thralls rule. Theramore has turned Jaina, the person MOST pro-Horde in the alliance, the figurehead for cooperation and driving force between the Horde and Alliance working together "for the greater good" in previous expansions / W3 etc, into as Horde hating a figure as Varian, if not more.

Wasn't MOP supposed to "Put the war back in Warcraft"? Having said warring factions team up in the opening cinematic right after a naval battle which itself was after the sacking of Theramore, doesn't really give that impression.

They could have had the Orc / Human overpower the monk, then have the Human / Orc choose to lash out against the other, as opposed to the monk - that would have given far more of a fitting introduction to the Horde-Alliance conflict and illustrated how their warring among each other is nothing but counter productive, allowing greater threats to take advantage of them than what we got.

Don't get me wrong, I don't particularly hate the intro, but I can't help but feel it's giving the complete wrong impression of what every other source has implied the expansion is gearing up for - war between the horde and alliance.

As per my post on Facebook:

I actually really liked it the first time. It captured what WoW is: a lighthearted, fun to play with conflicts between the Horde and the Alliance that is focused on the home of Pandaria. I think they did a wonderful display of everything they wanted to touch on:

Strife between the Alliance/Horde, the introduction of the Panderan race and the world of Pandaria. It's a prelude of what's to come.

I give it thumbs up.

Tankspot Moderator
    Twitter: Follow me on Twitter! @Krenian

"Damnit!" - Jack Bauer, 24

Anyone else think it's funny that the WoW story focuses so much on the warring factions, yet PvP is one of the most neglected aspects of WoW?

But I guess the counter to that argument is that the war is told through PvE questing.

Let's put it this way: The last boss is Garrosh, weather you're horde of alliance. So, i don't see the human and orc teaming up on the spot like that as such a bad thing. Push comes to shove alliance and Horde pull their heads out of their asses to get shit done together if needs be. While yes, the central focus of the X-pac is supposed to be the tensions between the Horde and Alliance, in the end we figure out it's just all Garrosh's fault and kick him in the face. It's a rather complicated storyline IMO, and not something that could have been easily presented in a opening cinematic that they wanted to focus on introducing Pandaria. Remember, their focus is to grab the focus of new or retired players, not so much tell all of us active players about things we already know.

So, yes, they could have done better. Definitely should have had a little more on the ending other than: check out them Pandas, but overall I think they did it well enough to grab the directed audiences attention.

WTH is wrong with you people!? This is the best Cinematic yet, I had to watch it like seven times.

I loved the Vanilla opening especially because its one of the most graphically stunning CGI's of it's time.

TBC - YOU ARE NOT PREPARED! Among my favorites.

WoTLK - I didn't like it at first, but watching it a few other times you can appreciate the sheer poetry of it.

Cata - Worst one by far....rawr i'm Deathwing here me rawr!

MoP - "omg Blizzard your giving us cuddly pandas! R.I.P WoW, so lame!"
    I watched this trailer....PANDAS FOR LIFE!!!

I actually liked it I thought it could use more of the war that is to come but overall it was a good one. I'm sorry but you can't go wrong with a panda toying with an orc and a human, the only thing that would have made chen look cooler is if he yawned while they were fighting lol. Anyway I'd give it a 7 out of 10, also the tbc trailer put me to sleep, it seemed like illidan complaining over and over again.
    "Better a witty fool then a foolish wit."
    -William Shakespeare

The expansion is mean to bring the "war back to Warcraft" yet we see horde and alliance siding to defeat the pandaren in the cinematic

Not a fan of the comic relief, but impressive CGI work.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregasaurous View Post
    Push comes to shove alliance and Horde pull their heads out of their asses to get shit done together if needs be.
    The problem being, it looks like they've "pulled their heads out of their arses", before the expansion has even begun - if Garrosh was the first boss of the expansion, maybe - but I'm presuming that since he's the last boss there's going to be a decent story building up to it, especially with all of the new story telling mechanics like scenario that MOP brings. I'd expect it to take more than one lone pandaren turning up to put two people who have just been out for each others lives, that have just killed multitudes of each others kin and comrades, after Theramore.

When this cinematic is over, you're going to be going through the alliance and horde starting zones in MOP which feature the war in full swing, it just doesn't work. You can introduce pandaren and have them wipe the floor with the horde and alliance without having them team up, crapping all over what the coming story arcs are going to feature.

That said, this will be my last post since I think everyone has heard enough of my lamentations over it. I don't even dislike the cinematic, despite my problems with it, it just seems like the cinematic is completely missing the point of what the expansion is doing everywhere else.

That was terrible. I used to get chills while watching WoW cinematics, that one just bored and angered me to death.

Wouldn't the orc and human, have just finished off the arrogant panda as he admired his 'super awesome chinese, learn to accept them!' people?

Have fun with this one. Real WoW is a distant memory.

The structure of the trailer as a whole is a metaphor. Interspersed with some funny moments.
    The naval battle and the fight between the orc and human is a cool* battle as well as a metaphor of the fighting between the Alliance and Horde.
    The moment the human hands over the sharpened stick to the orc? Just a funny moment.

Just like Chen's speech and beating up the orc and human is both a cool* wuxia homage and a metaphor about what the pandaren are all about.
    The straightening of the ornament he puts back? Just a funny moment.

Area people really this incapable of handling two levels of narrative structure at once or do they just like nitpicking for the sake of it? *confused*

*your mileage may vary

Quote Originally Posted by suntiger745 View Post
    Area people really this incapable of handling two levels of narrative structure at once or do they just like nitpicking for the sake of it? *confused*
    I think it mostly comes down to people's biases. For instance, I love the Pandaren, always haved, love monks and completely dig the Balance philosophy of the Pandarens.

Some people see them as big fluffy Po-knockoffs that are going to ruin their Warcraft.

Both of these biases lead to looking at it with a) a glossy eye that just loves it or b) a hard eye that can only see the goofiness in it.

As usual in life, the truth is somewhere in the middle.

I myself cannot see how people do not love the symbolism in the fight as well as it being a simple introduction to Pandaria. Some people just want RAAWRBLOODGUTS killing and hatred between the two. Others don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Bythedar View Post
    Some people see them as big fluffy Po-knockoffs that are going to ruin their Warcraft.
    Always wondered how these people felt about talking cows - guess Elsie the Paladin is more realistic than a panda monks.

For those of you too young to remember Elsie the Cow was the symbol for Borden's Milk.

Taurens typically conjure up thoughts of minotaurs. Not actual cows.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Not impressed or unimpressed. Kind of neutral.

I don't really care that much for the hype machine and can't understand people getting excited about a cinematic release as if it were the expansion announcement or even the launch itself.

Give me the game please Blizz! Don't tease with CGI videos that look nothing like the 8 year old game engine and don't even remotely represent the type of hotkey combat within the game. I am not a 10 year old kid so don't try to get me worked up like a kid on Christmas Eve - it won't work!

Bah humbug etc!

On a serious note I see Blizzard are going all out to attract new customers but this to me doesn't appear to be a cinematic that would encourage those new customers - the pet battle types - to try the game. The cinematic just makes it look like a typical fighting game. Could be Streets of Rage with Pandas for all they would know.

Is the cinematic trailer the same thing as the movie that will play when you first start the client with the expansion installed?

Quote Originally Posted by Primernova View Post
    Wouldn't the orc and human, have just finished off the arrogant panda as he admired his 'super awesome chinese, learn to accept them!' people?
    They just arrived on Pandara bro and therefore haven't gotten a chance to ding level 90 yet. They didn't stand a chance...

Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    Taurens typically conjure up thoughts of minotaurs. Not actual cows.
    I'm sorry, but no - they look like cows, they are cows, they have the coloring of cows and they taste great, medium rare with a little olive oil, worchestershire, salt and pepper - may be a bit or garlic powder - cooked on a real charcoal grill, with a nice side of onion rings, baked potatoe and some fresh corn on the cob.

I would have liked it a lot more if they'd opened with Garrosh on a gunship overseeing the destruction of Theramore, then cut to Jaina solemnly walking thru the ruins with her anger clearly evident in her face the a zoom in to her eye where you see the reflection of the battle at sea off the shores of Pandaria. From there cut to the fight scene on shore and introduce the Pandaren, but with more emphasis on the peacekeeping and maintaining harmony idea. It did need a little more context to be effective.

why is denmark shown in the globe on the logo in the end of the trailer?

Yes, was wondering that too, was looking at the cinematics from the other expansions, to see if they had shown a country before but couldn't see anything in the cata or wrath, there might have been something in the tbc, but because my lack of geographical knowledge I couldn't see if it is just lines or a country, but I don't think it was.

+ Reply to Thread