+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: MoP Cinematic Trailer Revealed!

MoP Cinematic Trailer Revealed!

Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

looks great. i cant wait.

This is definitely one of the better opening cinematics in the series in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    just don't let them melee you up the bum.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreador View Post
    This is definitely one of the better opening cinematics in the series in my opinion.
    I thought it was the worst I've seen from Blizzard so far in terms of CGI cinematics. I didn't feel drawn in by this cinematic at all, in fact I found it quite boring and lacking in "epicness."
    Made me think of a cutscene.
    Always strive for perfection, but realise you'll never reach it.

I liked it a lot.

Other than the vanilla cinematic, the previous ones all made us look forward to the end of the expansion. Taking down Illidan (although sunwell was the final instance), the Lich King, and Deathwing.

This one is basically telling us "Here, welcome to our land, but dont start destroying our land."

Well we all know that we inevitably will... Don't think Chen will be able to stop us all from conflict.

Toushiro is offline 私はあなたのことをいつも考えています。
    I liked not seeing a big baddie in this, it's refreshing. We don't need to see the big baddie in the xpacs opening cinematic.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    I keep a few steel bars in my home.

The opening trailer was incredible. Incredible. Had suspense at the start, the entrance of the Pandaren and then a classical Kung-fu fight, complete with slight comedy.

The CGI was topnotch (really Blizzard, make a movie already) and has made me even MORE excited for this expansion.

And for those complaining about the Alliance sailor giving the orc a weapon, better to side with the enemy you know than with the enemy you DON'T know.

I wasn't too thrilled with this video. With Wrath, you see what you are going to have to fight your way thru. With BC, at the end you see all of the big bads. To me, it just seems like either side would never win vs the Pandaren.

Terrible, worst cinematic yet, and that's saying something after the cata cinematic.

I don't care if we don't se "THE" big baddie, I don't care if they don't go very in depth, but come ON, show us something of variety of what the world has in store for us other than a handful of monks practicing forms on a terrace below. This cinematic told us nothing new that we didn't already gather from the title of the game. And calling the cheesiness in it "comedy" is a bit of a stretch.

Did not feel epic. I was honestly bored, spent most of the time wondering wtf was going on with no resolution to that question.

Hopefully it was awful because they know the game itself will sell more copies than the cinematic.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    Terrible, worst cinematic yet, and that's saying something after the cata cinematic.

I don't care if we don't se "THE" big baddie, I don't care if they don't go very in depth, but come ON, show us something of variety of what the world has in store for us other than a handful of monks practicing forms on a terrace below. This cinematic told us nothing new that we didn't already gather from the title of the game. And calling the cheesiness in it "comedy" is a bit of a stretch.

Did not feel epic. I was honestly bored, spent most of the time wondering wtf was going on with no resolution to that question.

Hopefully it was awful because they know the game itself will sell more copies than the cinematic.
    Well the game is trying to pull in a new younger generation so can't blame blizzard for this. It really represent a more casual light hearted approach that the game is taking. To me the cata trailer was terrible esp with the fact you can kill the final boss in LFR with your eyes closed. This is more real imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Hightotem View Post
    Well the game is trying to pull in a new younger generation so can't blame blizzard for this. It really represent a more casual light hearted approach that the game is taking.
    Probably true, but when I was this younger crowd's age the Illidan Trailer for TBC got me so excited for the game... it STILL DOES actually (I went back and watched it after this one, lol). And I barely played WC3, I really only knew who Arthas was and only had a vague knowledge of Illidan

To me the cata trailer was terrible esp with the fact you can kill the final boss in LFR with your eyes closed.
    I agree with this completely.

This is more real imo.
    Not sure what this means, but to me this seemed anything but "real."
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

I think there's a difference of aesthetic approach happening here. Vanilla WOW and BC trailers were sort of like a buffet line. They were all about giving you the entire world at once (by showing you all the different classes, races and zones) and then you can pick and choose from among those.

Wrath, Cata, and MoP trailers are more about being a main course meal: they are going to show you one thing, a central theme to the expansion, and do it as well as possible. And I think they did that with the MoP trailer: the CGI is gorgeous, you are introduced to Pandaren, Monks, Pandaria, and there's emphasis on the Horde/Alliance conflict, and it is entertaining.

If you're looking for a more buffet style (I know there's a connotation here that buffet means "shallow" but I'm not trying to say the Vanilla/BC trailers were shallow at all) then the MoP trailer is going to feel pretty boring, yes. But not everyone necessarily wants the buffet style trailer, or is upset when they don't see such a trailer.

Imagine if this was a scene in a movie. Would you hate this scene?

I liked it, I liked the Cata one too, I thought the Deathwing scene at the begining when he breaks free was great. I thought the WoLK one was meh; but that's why Howard Johnson's had 28 flavors. Anyway, it's a trailer, it introduces the new race - I can't get all worked up about a marketing piece. If you buy purely based on packaging and hype you'll be sorely disappointed.

Let's hope the product is good. Only 7 more weeks of DS.

Only thing I would change would be to have it wrap up with something that shows the impending battle of the alliance vs the horde a bit better. Either pan to wreckage with people preparing for war, or cut to separate alliance and horde fleets setting sail towards Pandaria. Or maybe have the orc and human start fighting again. I feel like the sense of impending conflict gets kind of lost at the end and it ends up feeling like "oh, chen showed up, so now we're friends."

Otherwise it was good.
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

See, I had no idea that guy was Chen, or what it means that he is Chen, or who Chen is... since I haven't played the beta. So that whole thing had zero meaning for me. I agree though, I feel like it would have been far better/more epic to emphasize the impending war towards the end, because what I got from it (even though I know this is the wrong conclusion) is that the horde and alliance kind of band together to fight this pandaran guy. The horde and alliance always have hated eachother, they'd just rather be the ones killing the other, not gonna let any other foe defeat their #1 enemy while they still draw breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    Probably true, but when I was this younger crowd's age the Illidan Trailer for TBC got me so excited for the game... it STILL DOES actually (I went back and watched it after this one, lol). And I barely played WC3, I really only knew who Arthas was and only had a vague knowledge of Illidan
    The old "You are not prepared!" Illidan trailer still makes my neck prickle. Anyone who played WC3 and knew the backstory knew how much of a badass he was, and having him taunting you was just..... that trailer was epic. Still is.

No one tanks in a void.........

It certainly had fantastic visual quality, but the humor in the monk battle was far too heavy handed, the sheeping in the TBC cinematic was too much for me (although not enough to ruin the rest of it, it just felt out of place), this was just terrible.

My biggest gripe is the human and orc teaming up. The whole point of MOP is that Theramore / the escalating war has went too far for that, isn't it? The cinematic does nothing but undermine that, it was far more of a problem for me that even the humor, and my interest in WoW lore has been going downhill rapidly after what I felt was poor handling of the scourge in WOTLK.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagassh View Post
    It certainly had fantastic visual quality, but the humor in the monk battle was far too heavy handed, the sheeping in the TBC cinematic was too much for me (although not enough to ruin the rest of it, it just felt out of place), this was just terrible.

My biggest gripe is the human and orc teaming up. The whole point of MOP is that Theramore / the escalating war has went too far for that, isn't it? The cinematic does nothing but undermine that, it was far more of a problem for me that even the humor, and my interest in WoW lore has been going downhill rapidly after what I felt was poor handling of the scourge in WOTLK.
    ^ This

my interest in WoW lore has been going downhill rapidly after what I felt was poor handling of the scourge in WOTLK.
    Coincidentally, so has Blizzard's. ^_^
    No one tanks in a void.........

But there's always been "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" undertone to the story. I agree with Lore, cutting to something like the horde and alliance fleets sailing on Pandaria would have made for a cleaner overall ending. But this is all about introducing the new race. The marketing people are selling the new race, not the old story. The Pandas have to be cool to lure new blood; they have to be the focus, it's their time in the spotlight.

+ Reply to Thread