+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Weekly Marmot - Le-gem-dary

The Weekly Marmot - Le-gem-dary

Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

I like the title :P

At the start, was that wrathion?

Heres my thought. The quest chain was designed in a way where it would not impede in a normal raid progression for anyone (LFR/normal/Heroic) and its very much a personal quest like you mentioned. I think that is fine, as long as the quests are designed that way. (If it required the raid to go out of their way for someone to get the gem, then that would cause problems, especially in LFR where there is very little organization.)

The PRESTIGE of organized raids are still there, different gear, titles, mounts, and especially the feat of strength that is being added. That prestige is very much a guild effort in my opinion. Obtaining a legendary, was very much a personal prestige. Either by being picked as the one to get it, or forming your own raid so you can get it, they have always been very personal in my opinion. The problem was that in order for someone to get that personal prestige, the group had to be 'sacrificed' somewhat.

Now that the quest is personal, and does not impede on the raid itself, people with dedication to their character throughout the expansion will be able to get the legendary (I am assuming that there is a 'real' legendary' at the end of course). Who knows what kind of personal quests blizzard is thinking of putting during this quest chain? (They obviously put a lot of thought into this).

I think it makes it clear where to feel 'prestige' from. (Personal vs guild effort)

However, I'm worried that this may discourage people from changing main characters in the middle of an expansion.

EDIT: If a person has been working on this quest line for an ENTIRE expansion, (or at least up to the last patch,) then I think that person showed enough dedication to be 'awarded' with a legendary. I'd even argue that its the most effort that had to be put into a legendary, even if it was available through LFR. (At least the most 'time consuming' one)
    Last edited by BLSTMASTER; 08-15-2012 at 07:20 PM.

Very nice Topic.

I hope personally that they put a 'real' Legendary in the end of the Questline and tbh they can make it like you said with diffrent Models for the diffrent Difficulties. Like we had the Blacksmith Weapons in Burning Crusade.Where the base model is shared but the hight Difficulties are more impressive.
    I wish they will go this route to give "everyone" the legendary who puts the efford into it and that they have diffrent Models to distingt from which difficulty the Item is from.This will still give the serious Raiders the higher prestige but opens up 'Legendarys' to the Masses.

I think rewarding anybody willing to do the quest with a legendary is fine. Even if its just the LFR version its still a way to show you put in extra effort on your character. I would also agree that adding extra spell effects to heroic armor would be a good way to give the top end guilds a reward for extra effort.

This video, I like it. ANOTHER!

If you get the gem from Normal, but the normal level weapon hasn't dropped yet, but you have the LFR one - then there's a reason for the LFR weapons to have the gem socket. How infuriating would it be to have completed the gem but have no weapon? This obviously depends upon it being transferable between weapons, you certainly wouldn't want it to be in the LFR one for ever, but I find it hard to believe they'd let you perma-socket a normal one either.

I'm not going to claim that it's NOT going to be available in LFR, but there are totally reasons to have the gem socket in an LFR weapon.

That said, I do feel it makes major problems if the Legendary is the same ilevel across tiers. That just rubs me the wrong way, not because I think Legendaries are good - I want them to be cosmetic if anything, but LFR receiving an identical reward to Heroic raiders, especially if it's the Legendary is BIS - it's just such a disparity in effort. Knock a few ilevels off it and I'd be fine, but BIS items coming from LFR is worse than BIS items coming from the BMAH.

I wish they'd just make them cosmetic already, a cool looking transmog item that lets me shoot green fire? I'll take that over a 5% dps increase and the ability to turn into a stupid dragon.
    Last edited by Nagassh; 08-16-2012 at 01:48 AM.

It is a waste to use this gem in a LFR weapon. I think most people will wait until they roll on a normal or HC weapon...

Maybe in the next Tiers the Weapon you use will be transformed in some "cool looking" more proper legendary weapon? Kind of like the different states of the Rogue legendaries (the only ones I'm familiar with, since I only started playing with Cataclysm, and never got the Firelands staff). Instead of farming clusters you get a gem and use it in some weapon that has that socket.

I think you should be able to unsocket all gems, really. I believe JC is the most profitable profession, specially if you have mining and alchemy available to you. I mean you can get as much as 3 sockets in an item, and apart from enchanters, no other profession has so many choices in item customization. Other professions like LW or Tailoring only get 3 or 2 choices in 1 gear slot. JC would be able to make epic trinkets, and maybe even making JC the only ones that could unsocket a gem for you (how hard would it be, they prospect ore and cut gems, what's the difficulty in removing a gem from a piece of gear lol), so they could charge if they wish not to lose some income. And unsocketing a Soulbound item would mean you couldn't have an alt doing it for you.

Thinking of this, then they would have to make something with mining and alchemy, didn't thought much about that.

Outrageous... LMAO

Laughed so hard at your intro...

My biggest concern here is how much it will make LFR mandatory for normal/heroic raiders. Without the legendary gem, LFR might give you a slight leg up for a few weeks after LFR vaults becomes available, and then becomes mostly just a source of valor. With the legendary gem, it feels like it might become more important to run LFR for much longer in order to get your +500 stat boost sooner.

If you don't know the reference in the intro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNqrWm1M3Sc

Sigh. Too damn old.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    My biggest concern here is how much it will make LFR mandatory for normal/heroic raiders. Without the legendary gem, LFR might give you a slight leg up for a few weeks after LFR vaults becomes available, and then becomes mostly just a source of valor. With the legendary gem, it feels like it might become more important to run LFR for much longer in order to get your +500 stat boost sooner.
    This is the first thing I thought of while watching the Marmot. If the quest items drop in LFR, then LFR becomes even more of a grind for normal/heroic raiders and the worst part of the existing raid tier system becomes magnified. I would rather not run LFR ever on my raiding main, but will do so as long as I can improve my character there as most serious raiders will. If that grind comes to include drops towards the legendary gem, I will be very unhappy. I have no problem with LFR players being able to work on that quest chain, I have a problem if I'm forced into LFR to work on it for myself.

"Just" 500 of a primary stat? I know there will be inflation between Cata and MOP but that sounds pretty major.

Also, why on earth would they leave out stamina? Won't that help to generate an imbalance between the plate tanks and the agi ones given how poor str is for tanks in comparison?

Actually STR is pretty useful now for plate tanks. For exemple, on paladins STR is almost as good as dodge/parry point per point.

Truly, truly outrageous.

@ Nagassh

Now that makes sense to me, especially if you can transfer the gem upwards via a trade-in or a special NPC jeweler (*cough* panda Shen *cough*). I know it took me a while for even the normal No'kaled to drop and I can see the same situation happening in t14.

@Marco

Yeah, I see that too and I hope Bliz has thought of this.

@tawnos

Strength will give as much parry to plate tanks as agility gives to bears and monks, so it is a significant chunk.

I find it funny that there is no legendary gems for strength tanks. A stam gem would be awesome even if stam isn't the go to stat for plate tanks, the consideration of plate tanks would be nice since right now it seems as if we've been forgotten.

Regardless, I think that Blizzard is testing the water with LFR legendary gems. They may not actually continue on and let an "LFR raider" get a legendary weapon.

Although I am curious what this will do to weapons. You will probably find a better weapon in T15, but does that mean that you drop your +500 gem and weapon after all that, or do you get a new gem/can unsocket it after the fact?

I bet they are doing it to keep people doing all the tiers in LFR so that they are always active through the expansion.

@uglie

Str to parry for plate, agi to dodge for leather, both give the same amount of survivability.

@superjawes

Well since the legendary quest continues in 5.1, they'll have to make new weapons for the gems or something to evolve the gems.

+ Reply to Thread