+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Legendary - 1.1M Sub Loss

Legendary - 1.1M Sub Loss

Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

Looooooore, you were clearly stoned off your ass lol

Keep up the good work, been watching your vids for quite a while.

Wasn't even drinking for this one!
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    Wasn't even drinking for this one!
    Clearly that was the problem...
    Addon Author: What's Next? - AllPlates - Sudoku - Death Clock - Super Loot

When you are buying the game it is like buying into a book trilogy. You have to know about the game quite a bit to know you need the original+cataclysm+Wrath+Crusade+?????!!!! expansions. I think blizzard is going to havr to modify things into having to buy the perscription, then buy the expansion you want and you get all the warcrat. Damn baord is messing ith kystrokes again! It is only happening here......

Anyway they are going to need to lower the cost of joining to base+ expansion without having to have all the expansion packs if they want to get subscribers........

Offering the collectors edition would cause as much of a riot as the pets on the store. Like Lore said, they're limited edition collectibles.

I'd be unhappy if they made them available, but God knows I'd buy the classic and TBC ones I'm missing, feeling disgruntled about it as I do.

Sub Loss

I think a large portion of sub loss is due to students. Im a college student and im heavily considering leaving wow for something more casual, not because i cant play wow casually but because I stayed subed this long being bored of Dragon Soul for a couple months hoping MoP would be out in august so i could get to 90 before school starts. Now that MoP wont be out till the end of September ill probably be playing something like Borderlands 2 instead. I know im not the only one who may leave WoW for this exact same reason.

Basically too much Dragon Soul, MoP isnt comming out early enough that I might not be able to level and gear fast enough for my raid group, and to be honest as much as the 1-60 reboot was cool it doesnt fit with BC and WOTLK content and makes leveling feel very much disconnected.

Ive been playing WoW since Beta and love the game but they have taken WAY too long getting MoP out. Sadly as much as i might cancel my sub Ill more than likely be back around xmas holidays so i guess its not a permanent loss to blizz, im too much of a WoW addict to stay away forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Yehlan View Post
    I think a large portion of sub loss is due to students. Im a college student and im heavily considering leaving wow for something more casual, not because i cant play wow casually but because I stayed subed this long being bored of Dragon Soul for a couple months hoping MoP would be out in august so i could get to 90 before school starts. Now that MoP wont be out till the end of September ill probably be playing something like Borderlands 2 instead. I know im not the only one who may leave WoW for this exact same reason.

Basically too much Dragon Soul, MoP isnt comming out early enough that I might not be able to level and gear fast enough for my raid group, and to be honest as much as the 1-60 reboot was cool it doesnt fit with BC and WOTLK content and makes leveling feel very much disconnected.

Ive been playing WoW since Beta and love the game but they have taken WAY too long getting MoP out. Sadly as much as i might cancel my sub Ill more than likely be back around xmas holidays so i guess its not a permanent loss to blizz, im too much of a WoW addict to stay away forever.
    Don't stress too much, with LFR you will catch up to everyone else in under 2 weeks of playing. Also u dont have to quit, 2-4 hours on the weekend will be more then enough time to level , dungeon for gear and clear the content in lfr over a month and half period. You get to see all the content the hardcore raiders do anyways for putting in 1/100 of the time now.

I think they missed a big point on the subscriber loss story. The majority of the subs lost happened in the East where Cataclysm hasn't launched yet. There was no talk of how that has affected subscriptions. They have been playing Wrath content for the last 2 years.

This loss wasn't unexpected. Long lull pre-MoP, game is going on 8 years old at this point. There are some people leaving not necessarily because the game is bad, but just because it's old. Some of course are leaving because they think it's bad, and they're entitled to think so as much as they want.

Remains to be seen what happens for MoP. I think what gets lost in all the 'they lost subs!!!1111!!' talk is that I doubt even Blizzard ever expected the game to still be as big as it is at this point, 7+ years after launch, so, while losing some subs makes for lots of hits on websites, it's not the end of the world that some make it out to be. When the game drops to within a million of its nearest subscription-only MMO competitor, then, that will be news. Until then, despite any losses, no one else has gotten even close. WoW lost ~10% last quarter, while the most-hyped WoW-killer from 2011 is going F2P before it's a year old.

(The other big 2011 release, Rift, is still profitable, and releasing an expansion soon. It never got as big as SWTOR, but it never took the huge plunge, either.)

Quote Originally Posted by mavfin View Post
    This loss wasn't unexpected. Long lull pre-MoP, game is going on 8 years old at this point. There are some people leaving not necessarily because the game is bad, but just because it's old. Some of course are leaving because they think it's bad, and they're entitled to think so as much as they want.

Remains to be seen what happens for MoP. I think what gets lost in all the 'they lost subs!!!1111!!' talk is that I doubt even Blizzard ever expected the game to still be as big as it is at this point, 7+ years after launch, so, while losing some subs makes for lots of hits on websites, it's not the end of the world that some make it out to be. When the game drops to within a million of its nearest subscription-only MMO competitor, then, that will be news. Until then, despite any losses, no one else has gotten even close. WoW lost ~10% last quarter, while the most-hyped WoW-killer from 2011 is going F2P before it's a year old.

(The other big 2011 release, Rift, is still profitable, and releasing an expansion soon. It never got as big as SWTOR, but it never took the huge plunge, either.)
    No. It wasn't unexpected. Predicted this back in May.

As for why, in general, people are discontent with it. You can say it's just old.... or that it's "bad".... or whatever. In the end, to a lot of (former) subscribers, they are not happy with WoW presently, and not happy enough to the point where many of them are actively choosing to turn off the automatic subscription renewal.

That's something I think that deserves attention. This isn't just people letting their subs "lapse", like, "Oh... I forgot to renew my sub to Playboy! Dammit!" This is people actively going into the system and saying, "no thanks".

Blizzard might not have expected it to run this long/far, true. It's not the end of the world either. HOWEVER...... one thing you need to always keep in mind is, the company that is used to bringing in $150mil in cash PER MONTH now seeing those numbers drop to $135mil per month..... HOW ARE THEY GOING TO REACT?

It's not so much an issue of, how the fellow customer is going to react to this news, but how will Blizzard react? Or.... more importantly.... how will Activision react to having their income drop so dramatically? This is a company that is used to seeing X amount of profit per month. Now, they're seeing ten percent less (roughly). Will Blizzard/Activision sit and say...... "Hey, we're still making money hand over fist. Sure, it's not as much, but we're still doing well, and we can continue to offer a high-quality product for our customers!"....... or will it be, "We need to keep profit margins where they were. Time to cut stuff!"

I'm HOPING Blizzard/Activision will realize they are still making a solid profit, not freak out, and continue to try and do right by their customer by aiming high and trying to produce a high quality product. They'll still make fat cash, just not as much, and they can hold onto the numbers better.

But..... if they go the route so many companies seem to do, and cut quality to try to maintain profit margins (despite still operating at a profit), I predict the situation will only worsen, as they will end up turning-off more loyal customers to their product, which could effectively worsen the downward spiral.

POSTSCRIPT:

Did a little digging and found this:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/afonteve...achilles-heel/

Consider the following section:

World of Warcraft (WoW) has helped ATVI maintain its stock price, with this one single game providing roughly 30% of the revenue for the entire company via its expansion packs and monthly payments. Subscription revenue alone totaled $1.2 billion both in 2008 and 2009, and an additional $1.36 billion in 2010. Corresponding costs (the overhead cost of maintaining WoW’s virtual world) totaled a mere $404 million in the first two years mentioned, and $241 million in 2010. This means that WoW subscriptions have generated gross margins over 80% consistently. Since WoW has very high operating leverage any decline in revenue will have dramatic effects on the bottom line.
    WoW..... is Activision/Blizzard's LIFEBLOOD. Vivendi is already trying to drop it's ownership as it sees problems. The article continues........

Let’s examine what would happen to ATVI’s business if WoW subscription and software sales were to decline by an estimated 25%. We believe this to be a conservative estimate because games like EA’s new Star Wars MMORPG have had a significantly greater turnover than 25% in the first 6 months since the game was released.

This is a clear example of how bad games fail and how subscribers tend to voice their preference rather quickly and mercilessly. We estimate that ATVI’s gross profit of the subscription business could drop to $779 million from the current $1.12 billion and software gross profit could drop to $75 million from $100 million if a mere 25% of current subscribers stop playing WoW. With the combination of these numbers, we project ATVI could experience a drop of up to $366 million in gross profit in the 6 months following the release of Guild Wars 2 at the end of August 2012.
    This is correct, based off of projections... IF they lost those subs. Here's the rub though..... they are still making $779 million in profit, off of an 8 year old game. They are not having to organize and construct from scratch.... they have an established infrastructure and are simply "adding on"to it. The money they are making in PROFIT is after all of the balance sheets are settled.

My view on this?

Again, if Blizzard continues to "create" content like Dragon Soul for us, at the tune of $779 MILLION (or the $1.12 BILLION) in profit, I'm probably NOT going to stay loyal to Blizzard. I'm sorry, but this is not a company that is "hurting for cash reserves".

So, my message to Blizzard: Do what you did that got you here. Take care of your customers. Take care of your fans. You do that..... you will minimize the damage an maybe even come out ahead. If you follow the standard business model that is "trendy" and cut into the product you make, and offer an inferior product...... then prepare for disaster.

Last edited by Leucifer; 08-07-2012 at 02:07 PM.
    No one tanks in a void.........

Its not like WoW has been overtaken by some game in its own market - pretty much every mmo seems to be in decline. If I were looking to find the lost mmo players I'd be looking at where the bajillion people playing LoL came from.

It seems like its the genre becoming less popular, not something WoW is doing wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by tawnos View Post
    Its not like WoW has been overtaken by some game in its own market - pretty much every mmo seems to be in decline. If I were looking to find the lost mmo players I'd be looking at where the bajillion people playing LoL came from.

It seems like its the genre becoming less popular, not something WoW is doing wrong.
    I'd argue the genre is becoming less popular because right now, the genre IS WoW, and MMO's modeled after WoW.
    It's not that WoW is "doing something wrong". It's just that..... it's damn near all there is anymore.

WoW.
    WoW in Space (SWTOR).
    And WoW with less Saturday Morning Cartoon graphics (Rift).

It'd be like me saying.... you may have your ice cream in vanilla, french vanilla, or vanilla bean.
    They're all vanilla.
    No one tanks in a void.........

I love articles like the Forbes one; first he says "what would happen if WoW lost 25% of it's sub base: then he makes it a fact that WoW will lose 25% of it's sub base to GW2. Nothing like supposition being turned to fact to make the conclusion work.Fair disclosure, I think Forbes is a hack magazine - they never met a fact they didn't distort or get wrong.

I think the genre is becoming less popular because tastes change. I don't think its shocking that MUDs aren't as popular as when I started playing them in the early 90's. Some of that is attributable to technological improvements that have no analog when assessing the change in popularity of MMOs but some of it also is just that preferences in genres change.

League of Legends has a bajillion people and some of those are (imo) bound to be people who would have selected an MMO otherwise. If Blizzard were losing market share to a direct competitor it would be a different story, but if they're just losing players to a different type of game they can't exactly morph world of warcraft into something that looks more like League of Legends. Some of the issues are unique to China as well and really its a bit silly to worry about those as they essentially play an entirely different game (which of course makes all of those '12 million subscriber' numbers look pretty silly as well).

A generational regeneration?

8 years, hmmm..... D&D 6th grade thru High School graduation+2 "Unbusy" years= 8 year run on the Chainmail thru AD7D versions. so that would be the beta thru 2.0 versions, life got too busy for D&D after a 10 year span. I am thinking a bunch of 14-16 year old beta WoW types are discovering they have kids, work, wife, yard, and a bunch of other tasks to juggle and are dropping the game in lieu (Rightly so) of spending time with their "Younger Family" that has kids that need levelling before they can join dad/granpa in the real world of warcraft. Blizzard ia likely catering to a new generation of players with the pet battles and farming aspects. I think was may be coming up on a full rewrite of all the quests and progression to better sclae magic items, and make the feel of the game be less of a patchwork. Make a "Strictly Azeroth" version that is levels 1-60 and ALL the Races/Zones but the huigher level zones above 60 require the expansion packs to get in. It would make the game much easier for a new gamer to learn since there are fewer exceptions/ deceptions related to basic levelling of the races. (If someone thinks a pandaren would be what they want and they buy the base software only to discover they have to buy Crusade and Wrath AND Mists!? C'mon son surprize addon expenses to play the gane/race combo of you faavorite choice is kind of expensive.

To bad the farming aspect doesn't come with a Gardener's shed feature..........a "stash whatever you want here as long as it is a Mat." might be a nice way to free up bag and bank space? Have a possibility of a Rogue hitting your shed the longer you stay away?

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post
    I love articles like the Forbes one; first he says "what would happen if WoW lost 25% of it's sub base: then he makes it a fact that WoW will lose 25% of it's sub base to GW2. Nothing like supposition being turned to fact to make the conclusion work.Fair disclosure, I think Forbes is a hack magazine - they never met a fact they didn't distort or get wrong.
    My thoughts exactly; it's not far fetched to think that someone there, or more likely more than many, have ATV (don't know the correct ticker) shorted on the market and are trying to affect the stock price. It happens on a daily basis. If you see an article come out touting or supporting ATV after MOP drops and it does good, they've covered their short and went long. It wasn't hard for the writer to get the info because technically it's true, other than the part about the 25%, which is a form of hype, or pump in reverse.

Disclaimer; this is not an endorsement of any stock mentioned (and check the ticker), and I'm not a professional financial advisor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksend View Post
    Best bet also is find 2-3 healers you know to q with and tell them to forget everyone else and just keep you alive.

I have no doubt WoW will lose some subs to GW2 and to the expiration of the annual pass, but it will gain subs also and I don't think the net decline will be 25%; they may even get a bump of a few hundred thousand.

The biggest issue for WoW is securing and retaining fresh blood. How do you entice a person to buy a game for the first time and put up with leveling a character to 90 before they get to the "really cool stuff"? Espeically a game that's complex in its own way. Face it, if you want to play the game well you need to invest time, research rotations, learn what the stats do, learn how they interact, etc. All the while doing this in an otherwise unhelpful in game community. It's not a FPS where you can pick it up and start blasting your way to the end game on day one.

It's kind of a daunting task for Blizzard. 90 level before the fun begins is a huge mountain to climb for the first timer; for those of us that are altaholics leveling has never been easier and it's pretty much auto-pilot, but for a band, spanking new player it's a lot to ask.

As someone mentioned above, the whole leveling paradigm is going to have to change if they want new subscriptions.

I'm the "treasurer" of my guild and basically in charge of making sure the bank is stocked up and in order, i love the idea of the farming aspect in MOP not just being herbs. it means that some items might be easier to get and help me organise the bank and my own items easier than spending 2k on a random mat. love it, love it, love it.

+ Reply to Thread