+ Reply to Thread

Thread: World of Warcraft Nostalgia

World of Warcraft Nostalgia

Hello Tankspot. I quit playing World of Warcraft four months ago. I can not get away from it though. I am subscribed to many video makers of WoW content on youtube, stay up to date with Beta changes in MoP, and Live.

I don't want to play again, I quit for time constraints. Raiding 10+ hours a week AND also doing PvP, leveling characters, and dailies, etc., etc., was just too much. I also gave all my gold away. My main still has his gear, but that is beside the point.

How can I get over the nostalgia? I don't want to play World of Warcraft but I want to play World of Warcraft!

Hearing music from the game makes me emotional, almost to the point of tears. Seeing videos of old boss fights and remembering the memories also makes me tear up. I read up on the lore anytime I get bored.

It is depressing me, I think it is ridiculous, but I can't find a way to get over it. Anyone else here experience the same thing ever?

Delete her number from your phone and burn all pictures of her, try to focus on hate instead of love and push her out of your heart and become hard and callous...

...err I mean... Uninstall? =P
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.
    Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    Delete her number from your phone and burn all pictures of her, try to focus on hate instead of love and push her out of your heart and become hard and callous...

...err I mean... Uninstall? =P
    What I mean is...anytime I hear anything from the game, see it...it makes me emotional. Nostalgia. It is a sad feeling and I don't know what to do about it.

Play a different game?

Or

do two runs of LFR, you'll hate the game so much that all those happy memories will be purged from your brain and replaced by a lost hope for humanity

All facetiousness aside, just find something else to do that is more fun than WoW was.

Quote Originally Posted by Fetzie View Post
    Play a different game?

Or

do two runs of LFR, you'll hate the game so much that all those happy memories will be purged from your brain and replaced by a lost hope for humanity

#robotapocalypse
    [Today 09:38 AM] Reev: The older I get, the more I think those Greek philosophers were just annoying hipsters.
    Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fetzie View Post
    Play a different game?

Or

All facetiousness aside, just find something else to do that is more fun than WoW was.
    #robotapocalypse
    My work here is done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravy
    Any plan that doesn't call for the end of the world or the extinction of the human race isn't a good plan

Just play in moderation.

It's entirely possible to take Theotherone's suggestion. I, personally, quit at the end of LK, for a variety of reasons. However, I didn't do so under the assumption that I'd never play again - I told myself that, when I could get Cata for ~$10, like the deal that was done for LK at the end of its expansion cycle to try to bump subs going into the next expansion, I'd come back and explore the new stuff, check in with old guildies, hit 85, that sort of thing. Wound up enjoying the expansion in about a two month chunk, and now I'm off again, enjoying other pastimes, and waiting for the day that I eventually do the same thing again with MoP.

Obviously, I still check in on the news and such on TankSpot occasionally, though I find I even forget to do that more and more often. The game's still there - it's not like they're going to turn out the lights and I'm going to miss it. heheh After a few excursions into Everquest over the years, I'm fairly sure that doesn't happen to any but the most mismanaged MMOs.

I played a ton in vanilla and BC, wotlk a bit less.. and basically nothing in cata. I picked up a different hobby that i can actually make self improvements in rather then just wasting time. But i do feel the urge now and then to reup my sub, i still watch some videos and browse tankspot when i am bored. What i do is remind myself how boring the game is when i logged in and that usually curses it.

tl;dr Not enough info to give many specific suggestions.

I think there are quite a few factors here.

You shouldn't feel guilty about playing the game. Whether it's softball, art, golf, fishing, underwater basket weaving, w/e, MOST pastimes are essentially a waste of time with little to show for it. The key is to not let it take up more than your true discretionary time (not that I'm particularly good at that). I think all of us in any pastime can struggle with that but WoW gets a pretty bad rap about it.

Since you make it pretty clear you still want to play, why do you feel you cannot or should not? Is that a resolvable issue? Is the problem just spending too much time at it? What are the multiple ways to solve that? Abandon alts? Just raid? Just pvp?

If you really feel that playing is too hard to constrain your time commited to the game, I think the key is finding another pastime to be a replacement. However, if you didn't have time for WoW, do you really have time for another pastime? Is the problem that you are not focusing on other responsibilities? Thinking about WoW while you do those other things?

Is this because you are trying to give your time/attention to someone else? GF? Wife and kids? If it is something like that, then you need to create a win/win. Not only should you not be the only one to sacrifice, neither of you should feel that you are having to sacrifice. Find ways to spend time together that you both are happy with. If she likes the movies or watching tv together but you could care less, then "sacrificing" and spending time with her to do that just builds resentment and won't fix anything long term. It might be that neither of you is doing your "favorite" pastime, but both of you should feel you are doing something you want to. If it's something you want to do, you should miss WoW less. It's also worthwhile to do things separately that you want to do so there may still be some leeway to play.

Just not enough info to provide more than a "scatter-shot" attempt at helpful advice.

+ Reply to Thread