+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need help/advice with regards to maximizing current gear

Need help/advice with regards to maximizing current gear

Hi

Had a break just after cata got released and started again a while ago and jumped back into tanking.

The guild im in is going for HC 10man DS progress atm.

Have tryed to balance my gear putting most toughts into reaching the unhittable mark, but i am now uncertain if I should have done it differently and cant seem to find any good straight to the point guides on wow forums (warr forums seems dead with reagards to prot pve warrs) and alot of the advanced number crunching gets me confused .
    Hoping that some maintanks have pointers on how i can improve my gear, i know my threath stats are shit but more focused on staying alive atm since threath isnt a issues like it was back in the old days

Link: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...arian/advanced

All advice and help is appreciated, even the "Your an idiot dont do it like that"

Your gear in regards to gems/enchants seems to be ok-ish, although you should change your meta gem to the one that gives 81 stam and 1% more block. As a general rule of thumb there are only 5 gems that you will want as a prot warrior:
    - Puissant Elven Peridot (Green)
    - Fine Lava Coral (Orange)
    - Fractured Lightstone (Yellow)
    - Defender's Shadow Spinel (Purple)
    - Solid Deepholm Iolite (Blue)
    Until you reach ctc focus on getting mastery and once you reach it start shifting more towards stamina.

From the stats you have on the armory your CTC is at 100.34 before buffs, so likely somewhere just above that with raid buffs.

I would suggest definitely changing your trinkets, since you don't really want to be dodging more than you are parrying/blocking (since both of those give you rage and dodge does not).

Easy trinkets to get are the Fire of the Deep for 1650 Valor Points and the Mirror of Broken Images from the dailies in Tol Barad (yes it's a 359 but I still use it for H Zon'ozz and H Yor'sahj just because the on use is so amazing and it's on a 1 min CD)

If you can manage to get into a H FL (if your guild runs that at any time or if you use openraid) the 391 Spidersilk Spindle is also pretty good. Also, obviously, if you can get Indomitable Pride, the Stam + Bubble are great, especially for H Madness.

Just remember you want to get your CTC to 102.4% and then start stacking stamina as much as possible, and Mastery is the best way to get CTC higher. Also make sure you keep Parry a touch ahead of dodge (for Hold the Line), I like to have it about 1-2% higher, which is what you have right now (before your trinket(s) stack up/proc)

EDIT:
    Here's a link to my warrior's armory logged out in his prot gear/spec
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...3%A3c/advanced
    Last edited by Edd13Mac; 07-16-2012 at 01:06 AM.
    Hunters never die, they just choose to commit suicide. Often.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd13Mac View Post

I would suggest definitely changing your trinkets, since you don't really want to be dodging more than you are parrying/blocking (since both of those give you rage and dodge does not).
    You get the same amount of rage off Parries AND DODGES as you do as if you had taken the hit to the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd13Mac View Post
    Also make sure you keep Parry a touch ahead of dodge (for Hold the Line), I like to have it about 1-2% higher
    No. This is wrong.

Before you achieve CTC cap you want to keep dodge ratings equal to parry ratings for maximum total damage reduction. It is a common misconception that warriors want more parry than dodge born of people seeing this post on MMO-C, and just look at the pictures without reading the words. The short of it is keep dodge and parry equal to maximise avoidance so you require less mastery to reach the CTC cap and there fore can turn more mastery gems into stam gems.

Fetzie has created a great spreadsheet for helping warriors manage their CTC cap.

You should consider dropping points in Gag Order for points in Incite, HS should make up around 33% of your damage if you're properly managing rage. Incite is worth more point for point than ANY other talent including things you would never think to skip, like Sword and board. It may also be worth taking points from either Thunderstruck, or Imp. Revenge (and take Revenge off your action bars) and putting the points in cruelty. Minor glyphs: swap one of the shout ones out for GoDemo. Shout. Also if you can swap in the 378 Bronze Blaster for Unexpected Backup, the 378 has enough mastery on it to allow you to gem even more stamina than you lose for taking a 378 over a 391.
    Last edited by Tengenstein; 07-16-2012 at 01:51 AM.

If what you say is true then he is already well above the ctc cap with his dodge trinket fully stacked by quite a bit, and that's before taking his other trinket or windwalk procs into account. Ideally, before reforging, you will need to add 880 to your dodge rating and then balance it out with your parry if you are going to use Resolve of the Undying.

Gag order I've only seen on Warrior tanks in 10m groups where there may not be an abundance of interrupts available due to raid comp, but since there isn't much you need to interrupt in DS Tengenstien is right in saying you should drop the points for something else (like Incite).

I wasn't aware that taking points out of Revenge was a thing, given the 2 piece bonus that gives you a little bubble every time you use it. Is this really not even worth using? I would think that a little bubble every 5 seconds would add up to a lot over the course of a fight...

I'm not partial to using thunderstruck so much since it only boosts an attack you can use 3.5 times a minute, and have become a fan of safeguard to use as an external CD since my group doesn't have Pain Suppression or an extra Hand of Sacrifice anymore, but if you don't have this issue consider Incite or Cruelty for the dps boost.
    Last edited by Edd13Mac; 07-16-2012 at 02:46 AM.
    Hunters never die, they just choose to commit suicide. Often.

I have not had Revenge bound since t12 release bar occasional fights like Domo.

I wouldn't take wind walk or temporary trinket procs into account when calculating CTC, if the dodge isn't there all the time, you're not CTC capped all the time, and then you're not CTC capped, Resolve is weird I would treat it as fully stacked permanant dodge, but i wouldn't want to use it, there's just too many places where it can fall off(black blood phases, jumping between platforms), its a decent enough stop gap, but i'd rather take the two trinkets you mentioned earlier.

No boss can be silenced. Gag order is a silence, not an interrupt if you need extra interrupts in a raid gag order gives you about as many extra interrupts as Concussion Blow.

Taking points out of revenge has been a thing since 3.2, it was kinda rectified in 3.3 and then pissed all over in 4.0.6. Whether or not revenge is worth using is a really tricky thing. In our common rotational thought process, Revenge generally will replace Devastate. However due to the 4.0.6 change to the war academy talent, coupled with Deep wounds, and the crit support provided by Sword and Board, Devastate at most gear levels will have a higher DPE than Revenge unless you are at full vengeance and 1 of 2 conditions arise; either your MH weapon is behind the rest of your gear by about a tier, or you have reached the point where you've got 1 stam trinket and are still stacking stam. This is because Devastate scales with both weapon damage and 17% AP but Revenge scales at 25% AP. so you either need a hell of alot of AP or your weapon damage must be relatively low.

Further compounding this is the fact that even then the advantage of revenge is not entirely it's DPE, Its rage efficiency is also. you need to be able to make full use of the cheaper ability to squeeze off more Heroic strikes, Taking points out of Incite further devalues the advantage to using revenge, increasing the amount of AP or lack of MH weapn DPS needed to make including Rev in your rotation worth it.

outside of those conditions it is actually a possibility that a 39 point talent spec that skips Imp.Revenge will have a higher single target DPS over an otherwise identical 41point spec that takes Imp.Rev

Now the two piece bonus is tricky,it offers a third condition under which Imp Revenge is worth having: If you are timing your Revenge uses to coincide with Bose nukes (Impales, Psychic Drains, Focused assaults) then yes By all means take Imp.Revenge no matter what, just be aware you are sacrificing DPS, kind like how a pally has to sacrifice using ShotR if he wants to use WoG. If however you are just using Revenge as a rotational ability and treating the absorb shield as a bonus. Imp revenge is not worth it. you'll get better HPS out of 2 points in blood craze without risking penalizing your DPS.

tl,dr: Imp.Revenge is garbage unless
    1) your MH weapon is cak, or
    2) you have stam coming out your ass, or
    3) you have the 2 pc and are timing your revenge shields, or
    4) you're tanking more than 1 target

Really you need to run yourself through Simulationcraft to find out whether Rev is worth it for you.

Stand for 2 stacks in black, HT in the middle - resolve does not fall off. Neither does on Madness. It may, but not when it matters.
    Only bad part is that if you get brezzed, you are squishy for a few seconds. I like it better than VP, way too much rating.

To reiterate what Teng is saying, Revenge is not bad. The problem is it costs 2 talent points. Which are better spent somewhere else on most fights.

Neither does on Madness. It may, but not when it matters.
    Going for CTC is pointless at Madness because the stuff that kills you (Impale, Degenerative Bite, Shrapnel, Tetanus) cannot be blocked (and in most cases not dodged or parried either).

It's just not my first or second choice of trinket for most fights, even when it doesn't fall off. +3.31% dodge doesn't quite set my world on fire as much as the IP or MoBI, or even SoLHC, if i needed CTC or didn't have another choice then i'd use it. In and of itself its not a bad trinket, there's just other choices i'd rather use.

I'm kinda biast as i have this horrible idea that with my low hit/expertise I'm gonna let it fall off becuase i just can't land an attack.

I got the item level 416 version on our first spine kill (2nd April) and haven't used it since. Really isn't that good.

Thanks for all the advice starting to work on folowing it now
    Only one thing tough, I tought shield block value didnt matter anymore thats why i went back to the austere meta, does it increase the dmg reduction on block to 31% then?

and critical blocks to 62%.

The Eternal diamond is higher total damage reduction than the Austere one at higher CTC values, and is absolutely the best when at full CTC. It increases your normal block value to 31% and your critical block value to 62% (iirc).

UNfortunately cant get the gun you mentioned as its a quest item that ive sold a while ago when i got the vp one thinking it was better. Gonna aim for the trinkets so i can drop some mastery for stam gems. I had no idead the meta worked lie that as it did indeed increase the reduction to 31%.

The spreadsheet was awesome, so just wanted to say thx again to all of ya.
    Now i got my goal on what to aim for and more understanding of how i should be doing it.

+ Reply to Thread