+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Legendary - Child's Play

Legendary - Child's Play

Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

For this new guild system where new players can join this "help the new guy out" guild -- What happens when drama or other things make the guild go south? Will blizzard step in? Or will it just die?

LFR and the percentage nerfs are for two totally different sets of players. The LFR is for players who don't do organized raiding, so they can see and experience content.

The percentage nerfs are there for guilds who raid HMs, but may not have the skill to ever be able to complete the entire instance on HM. When those players hit a wall, they just quit raiding and they leave some of that HM content on the table. The percentage nerfs keep these guilds raiding for longer than they would normally, and allow them to clear the instance on HM.

There's more gradation in the wow playerbase than just "hardcore" and "casual". The LFR is not the answer to these type of medium progression guilds.

do any guilds doing 25man normals need morchok to do less damage and have less health than he does in LFR?

do any guilds doing 25man normals need morchok to do less damage and have less health than he does in LFR?
    Of course not, but I'm sure there's still a few guilds out there that need him to do less damage on 10m and 25m HM. Although they probably need it more for yor'sahj or zon'ozz, or for spine or madness. Morchok is a gimme boss and I'm sure the majority of guilds never got stuck on him for long in the first place.

The fact that the percentage nerfs bring normal modes below LFR is just an odd oversight (remember, we've had 30% nerfs in one form or another the entire expansion and going back to ICC at least, but we've only had LFR for one tier). It just goes to show that yes, the percentage nerfs are not for normal mode raids - they are for HMs primarily.

Do any guilds doing 25man HCs needs Ultraxion to do less damage and have less health than he did in normal 6 months back?
    Last edited by Tengenstein; 07-14-2012 at 09:09 AM.

Do any guilds doing 25man HCs needs Ultraxion to do less damage and have less health than he did in normal 6 months back?
    Maybe. I'm sure there's guilds out there who do. If they needed the 15% nerf to get him in normal they probably needed 30% to get him in heroic - I've seen some groups with some pretty terrible DPS and even more terrible healers and they're still doing organized raiding. What do I care if they need the nerfs? I finished months ago.

Now, I do think the nerf system we have is open to improvement (I'd go for the targeted nerfs that Lore brings up). We could have some of these "DPS check" bosses not scale down as quickly (a 10% nerf on Ultraxion is probably the difference between incredibly difficult and a walk in the park as long as you know the mechanic).

My guild killed H-Ultrax25 the week before the nerfs landed. Now usually a second kill is easier to an extent but often times not a one-shot. Due to the nature of how much a shorter fight helps on Ultraxion and how lust DPS works etc. etc... 5% ended up being HUGE. We screwed up big time on our first attempt and still 1-shot the second kill. Like we had 4 people dead going into the last segment of the fight and still got it, whereas our first kill we executed flawlessly and killed him as he was casting the twilight eruption to wipe the raid.

The DS nerfs were huge, blanket nerfs bad, targeted nerfs good.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

btw, the only sunwell buffs that I recall, one was 20% reduced chance to dodge, and then when 3.0 hit all bosses hps were reduced by... I thought it was like 20 or 25%, it might have been 30% though.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Sunwell had taht 20% sunwell radiance debuff, and a zone-wide buff that gave stamina and some spirit (kiril's song perhaps?). 3.0 nerfed the entire instance, along with every other npc in a TBC raid instance, by 30%. It also brought some mechanics changes, like Shear being removed from Illidan because you couldn't guarantee to block or avoid it due to class mechanics changes.

So that conversation about Blizzard starting out with a 'pandas and pokemon' approach to young gamers and then growing with a generation of such gamers? Thats a complete rerun of 2004. Just replace the Cata->Mop transition with Everquest->Vanilla WoW and pandas/pokemon with cartoony graphics and not having to walk uphill both ways in the snow to play (What? Everything is care-bear instanced and you don't have to get back to your corpse to loot it? Kids game!). If WoW was your first MMO, its likely you are the pandas and pokemon demographic of 2004.

Agree with previous poster that the gradual nerf and LFR are for completely different people. To me LFR is for gearing alts and nothing else. If the set bonuses and trinkets weren't so absurd I wouldn't even be using it more than likely. The debuff is for making those spine lifts where the tendon is at 2% manageable so I might actually see a h-madness kill before mop. I actually really like the gradual debuff mechanic better than larger nerfs or even a large targeted nerf. Ideally I could see gradual targeted nerfs being the best option, but the important thing to me is a gradual shift in the difficulty level rather than (even in the case of a large targeted nerf) walking in the next day afterwards and going from 'just a bit too hard' to 'try not to fall asleep'. 5% nerfs don't cause that issue.

Concerning the whole "pandas and pokemon" thing: yeah sure it may be targeted at a younger audience, but isn't it obvious what the real demographic target of MoP is? It is to me anyway:

Asians.

Who cares if 50% of the North American/European players quit because the game is so dumbed down it hurts when you have the opportunity to get a billion Chinese/Korean people(not farmers but legit subscribers).

A Korean guild got the world first spine and madness kills, perhaps this is the beginning of a trend. Blizzard has to have numbers showing a rise in popularity among Asian markets. Now they are simply pandering to that market.

As in all things, follow the money.

I've got it, wow is Titan. Or it will be. They want to completely remake the game over time to avoid the massive fallout that MMOs go through, so they'll just keep revamping the system layer by layer until one day you enter your log in screen and it'll have actually become a different MMO.

The last patch before the conversion, updated character models. However, this breaks Vanish, and the cycle of fixes begins anew.

+ Reply to Thread