+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What game has really moved you?

What game has really moved you?

Has there been a video game that's had a fairly profound emotional impact on you? For example, something that left you a little bit stunned or that made you think.

The only things that I can think of have been in the Modern Warfare series, where the character you play as in MW 1 (spoiler alert) dies, and then in MW2 where you're forced to walk slowly as you go through the (spoiler alert again) airport slaughter. Both of those things actually had an emotional impact on me, from disbelief that my heroic efforts were futile to being pretty deeply disturbed and then reflective at the terrible lengths some people go to in order to save the greater number of people. Those are things that make you think, which is the whole point behind art.

So I'm trying to think of other games that have done similar things, and I'm drawing a blank. What about you guys? Have there been games that have gotten to you like that? Doesn't have to be a dramatically negative thing like in the Modern Warfare series. Just something profound.
    Hit me. I dare you.

Manhunt. One of the most gratuitously violent games ever, and after playing it for 5 minutes I deinstalled it. I haven't played it since then, and have no intention of playing it again. It also turned me off blood + gore movies. And if you were wondering, I played it when I was 19.

Skies of Arcadia. When you eventually gain control oh the Delphinia I remember an immense level if excitement in that moment and I still recall it.

Of course there are the nostalgia licenses, Mario, Sonic, etc but you're looking for games where you felt involved with the character it story as in a book or movie. In which case, Hellscream in WC3, when he dies and says, " I'm.....free..." profound!

Or....as Captain Olimer in Pikmin 1, when he finally leaves the planet.
    -------------------------------------
    killing faster means sleeping more - Thedom

Quote Originally Posted by Fetzie View Post
    Manhunt. One of the most gratuitously violent games ever, and after playing it for 5 minutes I deinstalled it. I haven't played it since then, and have no intention of playing it again. It also turned me off blood + gore movies. And if you were wondering, I played it when I was 19.
    I loved that game, though I found it terribly ironic that some of the "quick" kills were far more brutal than the "Brutal" kills. Yes, I'm kind sick in the head, but I thought that game was super fun. I did manage to hide it from my son for quite a while (He was like 4 at the time) until his uncle was a total gobshite.

Back to the main point.. I was very moved by the story in GTA: San Andreas. Not the stereotypical fiction of LA in the mid-90's but the emotional trauma of it all. Gone for a couple years, come home for mom's funeral. Most of your friends are either dead, turned their back on you for trying to better yourself, or are backstabbing lunatics trying to build a criminal empire. Carl Johnson is about as anti-hero as it gets besides The Punisher.

As much as i loved everything from squaresoft in the early/mid nineties, FFIII (or VI in Japan) on SNES was the first to really move me. There were sooooo many characters. The music and sprite graphics were so much better than anything prior. Opera was just amazing. Of course the kicker was when the world was destroyed. i had quite the shock and, subsequently, had a lot of fun when i got to see the reactions of anyone who played out that scene for the first time.

Re: What game has really moved you?

Looking back at all the years I've played video games only one completely stands out. Final Fantasy VII. How could you not become emotionally involved with the characters? And when the plot twist happens and you watch Aeris die I'm man enough to admit to a tear.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Wasn't really until the 16-bit generation of consoles that game depth started to reach new levels. While the older classics do still hold their weight, the technical limitations of the time held back a bit on the great epic experiences later games brought. While something like Final Fantasy 7 is a masterpiece I think a lot of the roots of what made for a great game came in the generation of consoles prior. If I were to pick a personal favorite for it's overall impact I'd probably go with Chrono Trigger personally for its fantastic story and replayability. Secret of Mana as well as Final Fantasy 4 and 6 would rate quite highly in my book as well. Role playing games from this 16-bit generation of games was a high point in the genre in general from my perspective. While there were some definate successes to follow, many game designers have taken the approach of favoring new technology and things looking pretty other than the quality of the story itself which I feel has weakened the genre as a whole.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Oh man, Quinafoi, when I saw Marle throw her arms around Crono after you saved him from Lavos, I got choked up. Everything about that scene did it for me. The music was perfect, the dialogue was perfect, and Crono's endearingly clueless reaction was perfect.
    Hit me. I dare you.

I'm going to agree with Quinafoi and say Chrono Trigger. The game was perfect in every way - the story, the game play. I've replayed it numerous times and it's just as amazing as the first.

Another game I'd have to say is Final Fantasy XII. Not because the story was awesome, but because of all the side content that was available, and the roamability of it all.

FF7 and Aeris dying. Yeah.

I get tearful eveytime i see the end credits to FFVIII, Eyes on me just doesn something to jerk me everytime i hear it.

Final fantasy 7,8&10 are some of the best games I have ever played but zelda ocarina of time will always have a special place aswell as Mario 64 (first game I really played)

Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    I get tearful eveytime i see the end credits to FFVIII, Eyes on me just doesn something to jerk me everytime i hear it.
    With Rinoas mom singing?

I beat that damn game on level 100. Final boss took 45 minutes.

FF7
    Chrono Trigger
    Super Mario RPG (for humor!)
    Dark/Demon Souls (for frustration purposes)

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    FF7
    Super Mario RPG (for humor!)
    Such an awesome game. I always feel like it was never fully appreciated as much as it should have been. It had so much to offer in both basic mechanics, story, and mini-games. I never got to a place in that game where I felt like it was a grind.
    Kathy, I said, "I'm lost" though I knew she was sleeping
    I'm empty and aching and I don't know why
    Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
    They've all gone to look for America

Star Craft and Star Craft II, not only was the original SC my entry to computers that is probably a big contributor to me being an electrical engineer, but in SC2 when they re-make the scene were Kerrigan dies.... oh maw gawd... that was crazy. And in Brood Wars when they UED (I think) is hovering over the planet with the zerg overtaking the terran base...

"You must go in to this with both eyes open. Dissecting a dead zerg in a lab is one thing, unleashing them on man kind is another! Are you prepared to go all the way with this Alexi?"
    "Yes... yes... I am prepared to go all the way."
    I really think that the StarCraft story line is way deeper than a lot of people give it credit for.

Call me a sap, and it may have been due to sleep deprivation, but the MW2 single player was AWESOME. I was cheering at the screen at the end.

Other than nastolgia from other games. The late hours with Star Fox 64 trying to medal every level... things like that, those are the two that got the biggest "shock" out of me.
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." -Neil deGrasee Tyson

Twitter @Aggathon || @Tankspot || Twitch.Tv/Aggathon

Prince of persia & final fantasy.... they just made me addicted to them. I never think to sleep at time unless n until i reach to a certain level of my choice.

Wing commander 3. When Hobbes defected I was so pissed off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

The Max Payne series, one of the best stories told in video games

Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    Star Craft and Star Craft II, not only was the original SC my entry to computers that is probably a big contributor to me being an electrical engineer, but in SC2 when they re-make the scene were Kerrigan dies.... oh maw gawd... that was crazy. And in Brood Wars when they UED (I think) is hovering over the planet with the zerg overtaking the terran base...

"You must go in to this with both eyes open. Dissecting a dead zerg in a lab is one thing, unleashing them on man kind is another! Are you prepared to go all the way with this Alexi?"
    "Yes... yes... I am prepared to go all the way."
    I really think that the StarCraft story line is way deeper than a lot of people give it credit for.

Call me a sap, and it may have been due to sleep deprivation, but the MW2 single player was AWESOME. I was cheering at the screen at the end.

Other than nastolgia from other games. The late hours with Star Fox 64 trying to medal every level... things like that, those are the two that got the biggest "shock" out of me.
    I got every medal in Star Fox 64 within the first couple of weeks after I got it, honestly it was such an easy game. There aren't a lot of games that I have ever truly loved, however there were a few that just blew my mind when they came out.

Crysis really defined where gaming graphics are headed and the overall gameplay and total immersion in the environment was completely epic for me. I just sat there in awe when I first loaded the game up and was falling out of the plane then running through a jungle.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time was quite possibly one of the greatest gaming experiences of any adventure game made to date, which is saying a lot because the game itself has aged poorly in terms of controls and the graphics are horribly dated. That said, the gameplay was fantastic and the world itself at the time was quite amazing compared to what we saw with previous consoles.

Doom 2, the best FPS game ever made in history. It's still loads of fun, it's still a challenge on Nightmare mode, and the enemies can still freak you out. The hordes of demons hurling fireballs, rockets and wielding chain guns, shot guns and pistols were far more enjoyable then the 1 shot head shot kills of modern FPS games. Doom 3 was a colossal disappointment due to the fact that they tried to make it more like a traditional FPS involving smaller areas to fight in and less ammo, health and power up items.

The measure of a life is the measure of love and respect. So hard to earn, so easily burned - Neil Peart

+ Reply to Thread