+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PST - Episode 85

PST - Episode 85

This week:
    0:20 - MoP beta key giveaway!
    1:44 - Should classes with more complex DPS rotations do more damage?
    9:09 - If everyone is able to get a legendary, will PvP'ers be forced to raid?
    13:03 - Do you consider the heroic raiding system a success?
    20:58 - Will the next Annual Pass be as successful as the first one?
    25:19 - Will we be able to upgrade PvP items with Valor points?
    30:42 - If Blizzard liked that head enchants were gone, why are they adding Valor upgrades?
    35:20 - How do you feel about drinking while raiding?
    39:16 - Will Blizzard release MoP to compete with GW2?
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

It seems like there is actually going to be valor item rewards from rep vendors. I saw a preview on MMO-champ, it might be worth looking into to add to the discussion.

I'm a PvPer, and I hope that that Valor Points can be used to upgrade PvP gear. Blizzard needs to give PvPers an incentive to do dailies so there is legit world PvP.

Just wanted to say that I def agree with your idea of progression and exploring the instance. Good old days exploring a raid instances was half of the reward.

Valor just seems like it's being weighed into to much of the game for it to be purely PVE. Although, I suppose we won't know until we know. Plus like Lopez said above, you want those PVP'ers out in the world PVP'ing and not just sitting in the town waiting on a ques to pop. Because if that is all PVP'ers are doing, then it is a sign of what PVE'ers will be doing once the rat race is over at the start to mid life cycle of a tier (if they are online at all outside of raids that is -- because at some point the value of valor will drop during the tier cycle).

I also kind of miss the age of raid exploring / crawling. Before Wrath that feeling came with just about every raid. After Wrath's release it was pretty hit or miss. But really after Wrath and during it the team decided just having a circle that goes no where with bosses gabbed into each 45 degree slot or so along the circle. Sometimes they have there own room, sometimes they wonder the circle, sometimes you can mount, and sometimes you can or have to port. But it all boils down to round room with rooms you kill bosses in and then the path opens up somewhere along the circle to last boss with maybe "guardian style" of boss or two before the final boss (as in the block the path to the final boss). It hasn't made me hate the game but it does take a little bit of the excitement out of it.

Star Wars, they totally did something - wasn't the Annual Pass right before that?

Quote Originally Posted by Impeesa View Post
    Star Wars, they totally did something - wasn't the Annual Pass right before that?
    If memory serves (someone correct me if wrong), the Annual Pass was announced/started in October (at Blizzcon 2011). Blizzard did push 4.3 live about 3 weeks before SWTOR came out. However, what Lore was saying is that the typical "counter" to another subscription game is to have something happen about 1 month after the other game launches, to pull people who may have tried it to return to WoW. They didn't do anything like that to SWTOR.

I don't think the lack of a subscription fee for GW2 changes anything about the general "counter". The act of releasing something about a month after a new game isn't so much to do with getting people as they're mulling over where to send their money to (though that is an extra perk), it's more to do with getting people during that period of time just after the "new" has started to wear off of their "shiny". As you said it's not a good idea to put something out on the same day because it'll hurt your potential sales as much as theirs, instead you let the new game come out and get its initial swell as gamers try something just because it's different, then once it's stopped being "the new hawtness" you toss out something to pull their attention back to you.

Putting something out ahead of time for a non-sub game, the way you suggested Lore, wouldn't really work that well. Sure it may keep some people distracted enough that they decide not to buy the new game right away, but a lot of people will probably still buy the new game just because people like to try out new games, also the people that you did keep distracted will probably still go and buy that new game eventually anyways once they're through with your distraction (especially since everyone else has probably been talking about it the whole time).

You always want to go last so you can steal back the players that the other guy stole from you.

Also, like I said last week, they should just remove valor if they don't want it to do what they made it to do. If something's reason for existing no longer exists then just get rid of it, trying to create a new purpose for it is literally putting the cart before the horse. But if they are intent on keeping it around, then I proclaim the term to describe enhancing an item through valor points to be "valorize", because it's far too distracting to call it "upgrading" since that usually refers to replacing an item with a new one. That and valorize seems like one of those stupid things that's sort of fun to say, like double heroic.
    "Oh boy, after this week I'll finally have valorized all of my gear".
    Last edited by The_Pancake; 06-30-2012 at 08:51 PM.

Since nobody covered it, I love drinking during raid. It makes healing/tanking so much more fun IMO. Especially when you start seeing double lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

On the subject of valor used on both pvp and pve gear, I really like it. Except one thing which popped in my mind. If you want to play both high end pvp and pve on same character, you're screwed. Especially if it takes many weeks to upgrade full set of gear. I would be definitely okay to do double the work (in a week) to upgrade both gears. But as long as it uses the same currency, which has easily accessible weekly cap, the system sucks.

hay i know how to fix the crashing PC problem just get a PC that uses ECC ram it is error correction ram and never worry about windows crashing again also the CPU will have to support the Fully buffered ram

I have been the ass and have seen it from the sober side as far as drinking goes; thankfully not during our main guild runs. I think Lore has it right, if you can hold your shit, it's legal, and maintain skill and respect then it really isn't an issue. But it needs to get nipped quickly if that issue does arise. Often times it can salvage something before it goes to far or gives you the green light to toss them depending on the when and where. My choice is to usually give one strike as long as it wasn't a super nutty flip out.

Quote Originally Posted by Taedas View Post
    Just wanted to say that I def agree with your idea of progression and exploring the instance. Good old days exploring a raid instances was half of the reward.
    I remember the first time we finally killed Reliquary of Souls in BT and opened the door to the next wing that lead to Mother Shahraz. Everyone was so excited and in aw because the zone art completely changed in that area.

Couldn't they have just moved the helm enchants into the enchanting profession? It's going to feel weird having my helm unenchanted from now on.

They dropped 4.3 just before SWToR dropped, I can see them dropping 5.0 end of August so GW2 gets sandwiched between pre-exp patch and MoP release.

The new rep rewards on MMO indicate valour as the currency - actually a really smart idea I think, gives a reason to keep acquiring VP, and you can do it through the faction dailies. Also looking like you can fill 11 slots with it across the different reps.

Maybe we will see dungeon heroic level blues at honoured with justice points

Beer? Through a straw? God damn savages.

Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    Beer? Through a straw? God damn savages.
    Dude, its all about a nice bottle of wine while raiding. Lolwut?

I've mentioned this in an older PST that went into dps differentiation via glyphs, but while I agree with you that there doesn't need to be (and probably shouldn't be) a bonus to hard rotations, people should play the "hard" spec because they enjoy it, not because they're bribed into it via numbers. I don't buy into the argument that you would see significant numbers of people migrating over to that class.

Affliction warlocks in wotlk naxx were at one of their most complex states, it was before immolation was removed from the rotation and it was before a lot of the quality of life changes were fully implemented. While I can't find any dps comparisons (although I haven't looked too hard), I remember warlocks being incredibly strong back then. Warlocks have never been anywhere NEAR a majority, they've constantly been at the bottom end of class representation.

The theory that people will all swap over to one class when complexity = more dps sounds like a legitimate concern on paper, but past expansions have often provided exactly that scenario, but not shown any sign of players all flocking to one class. Something that has started happening is people flocking AWAY from warlocks to the point where they're the least played class in the game at max level - I can't help but feel complexity (that has only increased in cata) with less reward as blizzard moved towards a more balanced dps range, regardless of rotation effort has played a large part in this.

That said - I'm all for balanced numbers across the board, regardless of difficulty. But being afraid of chasing people out of a class by repeatedly reducing the "reward" that was present in previous years is as much a legitimate concern as people flocking to the top dog, if not more depending on how much weight you'd put in charts about class representation over the years.

I also agree CP would be a terrible currency for pvp gear upgrade. Honor might work though, you start getting excess of that at the same time as you start getting the BIS conquest gear that is worth upgrading, VP from pvp works fine too though.
    Last edited by Nagassh; 07-01-2012 at 06:40 PM.

We have two raid members who are required to drink during raids; somehow they are loads more effective with a convenient source of alcohol nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagitaar View Post
    We have two raid members who are required to drink during raids; somehow they are loads more effective with a convenient source of alcohol nearby.
    I playing drinking games with my brother. Who dies first, drink a beer when a rogue dies (have two of them lol), etc.

+ Reply to Thread