+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hunter DPS Spec Help Please.

Hunter DPS Spec Help Please.

Hello,

I am having trouble with my hunter in that I cannot get my dps to go over 16k. On very rare occasions it can touch 20k but that is few and far between. I was wondering if anyone could help me get her sorted out. I would say that I am currently gearing her up which means I am a mishmash of hc gear and "hour of twilight" hc gear. I am also missing enchants which I realise but that doesn't really explain the slack dps I am producing (although it will account of a little) 16k to me seems very low and I am getting complaints

I have tried BM spec, MM spec and now SV spec but no matter how I use my rotations the damage output is always the same. I am using recount to calculate my data.

My character is Shelindra and her armory data is here: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...indra/advanced

Pet I use is the Lion "Sambas" which I believe is ok because it falls into the category of a ferocity pet?

Many thanks in advance

In all honesty, 16k with your gear is not bad at all. Hunters are in kind of a weird place at your gear level; right now you need haste and crit more than mastery. Also, I'd go for the 365 crafted polearm over the two pieces you have on now, the expertise, as you probably know does nothing for you (until MoP) until you can get the staff off Well of Eternity or the lfr Madness Polearm. Once you get the four piece tier you can basically reforge out of all your haste and into crit and mastery.

Your spec is a bit off. Point of No Escape is kind of useless and three points in One with Nature is overkill. You want points in Careful Aim. I prefer Serpent Sting, Kill Shot and Explosive Shot as my primary glyps (Kill Shot over Arcane Shot, but either is fine once you gear up).

What I found at lower gear levels is that using Kill Command over Arcane Shot as my focus dump was a dps improvement, once I got my 4 piece, Arcane Shot did better.

www.icy-veins.com is a good site to explore, it's very helpful.

Also, what's your rotation?

This is my hunter http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...harfrat/simple his talents and glyph are pretty standard.

I use a wolf as my pet, but that's 'cause it's been with me since I made this toon oh so long ago; but I will use my rare lion at times.

ALL Cunning/Ferocity pets do the same DPS, however Ferocity lets you pick up Call of the Wild, so you can pretty much always feel free to use a pet that brings a buff your group is missing. Assuming a balanced 25 man raid the following is a general priority of what buffs you should aim to fill. if someone else in the raid can provide that buff skip down to the next one (or if you not BM)

1. Corehound (have to be BM): Lust
    2. Shale Spider (have to be BM) :Kings
    3. Silithid (Have to be BM) : Health
    4. Raptor/Serpent: Sunder
    5. Wolf/Devilsaur: Crit
    6. Ravager: Physical Damage
    7. Dragonhawk/Wind Serpent: spell damage
    8. Cat/Spirit Beast: Strength+Agility
    9. Hyena: Bleed Damage
    10. everything else.

If you;re soloing things change quite a bit as Bleed damage is almost totally non-existent for Survival and Spell damage is a paltry part of Marksmen damage so things shift. Rembemer this isn;t a List of which pet is the best DPS, its a list of which missing buff will provide the benefit to your group, cats don;t do worst DPS than Raptors, Likewise if the rest of your groups DPS is made up of Mages, it's gonna be best to get the dragonhawk out.

Like Tengenstein said, your pet really just depends on your group composition. I ALWAYS have a Wolf (crit chance), Cat (agi/str buff), Ravager (physical dmg debuff), Wind Serpent (magic dmg debuff), and Hyena (bleed damage) ready to go to adjust to whatever group I may be in.

Survival is going to be your best chance at doing the best numbers, since it is the least gear dependent of the three options. (Marksman being the most dependent.)

For the simple Survival Rotation, always make sure you have Serpent Sting and Hunter's Mark on the target, and if will be alive for more than 20 seconds, Black Arrow as well. Focus on getting as many Explosive Shots on target as possible, and Cobra Shot in the meantime. If you have the focus for it, you can throw out some Arcane Shots, but since you don't have your Tier 13 2-pc bonus yet I wouldn't worry about it too much. (Cobra shot is essentially a slightly weaker version of Arcane Shot with a cast time thrown on top of it.)

Also, when you get a Lock'n'Load proc, you can actually "double tap" your free Explosive Shots, which is to shoot them back-to-back, and they will not override each other. You do need to wait until the ticks are done however to shoot your 3rd Explosive Shot, which should be the time it takes you to cast 1 Cobra Shot.

Another thing is to make sure you are reforged properly, with your stat priorities being 8% (961) Hit -> Crit -> 20% Ranged Haste -> Mastery -> Haste

Here's my armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...3%A2c/advanced
    Hunters never die, they just choose to commit suicide. Often.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd13Mac View Post
    Also, when you get a Lock'n'Load proc, you can actually "double tap" your free Explosive Shots, which is to shoot them back-to-back, and they will not override each other.
    Really? I didn't realize this, when did they do away with Explosive Shot munching?

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post
    Really? I didn't realize this, when did they do away with Explosive Shot munching?
    It only works for the two free Explosive Shots, so if you have an ES ticking on the target when LnL procs, you have to wait until the ES on the target finishes, then double tap, and once the final tick finishes on the 2nd ES, shoot your 3rd. It just saves you a GCD

I just fill the gap in Explosive Shot's with a Cobra Shot.

yes, as all hunters should. The rotation would be: Explosive Shot, (LnL PROC) Cobra Shot, ESx2, Cobra Shot, ES -> Back into normal rotation

lol true suicidal hunter here I just cant get her to do anything anymore I have gone from 35k to omg you so dont want to know my rotations not working and I feel like kamakazee if someone can hellp i would so appreciate it danu

i have a wolf pet and he does great in damage but im undergeared thats my problem BEAST MASTER =D when you hit 87 oh too sweet! STAMPEDE you will love but first make sure to get all ferocity pets 5 =D have fun!

http://youtu.be/2TsFQnAIHik my buddy that helps me with getting my hunter to where i want him =D ha!

Raptors are pretty good as an alt to wolves or cats

Quote Originally Posted by danustalker View Post
    lol true suicidal hunter here I just cant get her to do anything anymore I have gone from 35k to omg you so dont want to know my rotations not working and I feel like kamakazee if someone can hellp i would so appreciate it danu
    A bit more information would be helpful, like a link to your armory and a WoL report from fights you are having trouble with. Or if you cannot get WoL a detailed explanation of what you are doing for your rotation and how you are using your cooldowns.

+ Reply to Thread