+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Weekly Marmot - Why the BMAH Worries Me

The Weekly Marmot - Why the BMAH Worries Me

Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

I think that if they do go live with the idea of placing heroic or even high level pvp gear on the BMAH that those items should have a compleation requierment, for heroic raid gear you should need to have compleated the raid on heroic difficulty. That would open up the option for those heroic raiders who have bad luck on drops. That would be the only way i could support the selling of heroic gear.

What mashy said. I wouldn't mind items going up that would be "Golden" or "Farmers" versions of the teir gear that are LFR equivalent items. An "Auction House PVP" version would not be a bad idea, but it should not be so combat oriented. The difference between a rent a cop and an SOF Operator...... Make the gear match up with how you get the means to get it.

Heck come up with a new Valor system for the AH PVP'ers, stock cetificates for every X amount of gold purchased that can get traded in to the head banker that is standing at every bank for AH perqs or gear that would be equivalent to LFR raider level........ Most raider would be the equivalent of Thor or the Hulk, but there would be some guys that are more like Ironman. In it as a hobby while they are busy with their engineering and daytrading.......and the occaisional scwarmma.........
    Last edited by worgick; 06-19-2012 at 03:37 AM. Reason: better concept expression.

Assuage is pronounced ass-wage ... when will you rebellious colonials learn to speak the Queen's English

Quote Originally Posted by Focii View Post
    Assuage is pronounced ass-wage ... when will you rebellious colonials learn to speak the Queen's English
    This bit of the Queen's English is derived from the French verb "asuager".

great show

Great show.
    your economics is spot on. a item is only worth what someone else is willing to give you for the item.
    As for the items on the BMAH the things i would not mind seeing there are the other factions racial mounts. (you imagin seeing a tauren on a gnoms Meckstrider?) lol

Quote Originally Posted by shade8211 View Post
    Great show.
    your economics is spot on. a item is only worth what someone else is willing to give you for the item.
    As for the items on the BMAH the things i would not mind seeing there are the other factions racial mounts. (you imagin seeing a tauren on a gnoms Meckstrider?) lol
    I will pay tens of thousands if I can buy a nightsaber on the BMAH for my horde characters.

Or perhaps TCG items?

I concur, each path should have different rewards (PvP, Raiding, gold farming). The gold farming paths have always been things like fancy mounts (motorcycle in WoTLK, Vial of sands in Cataclsym) and should stay that way ... and not encroach upon whatever raiders or pvpers get. Say what you want about distinction/prestige but it is a very important part of MMOs to a great many people and something that blizzard has been slowly eroding away ... much to the chagrin of just about everyone.
    RIP Stormrage Horde ('05 - '11). Turaylon Horde since 11/11 where there's actually people
    GM of Neolutum (always recruiting, PM me)

I concur, each path should have different rewards (PvP, Raiding, gold farming). The gold farming paths have always been things like fancy mounts (motorcycle in WoTLK, Vial of sands in Cataclsym) and should stay that way ... and not encroach upon whatever raiders or pvpers get. Say what you want about distinction/prestige but it is a very important part of MMOs to a great many people and something that blizzard has been slowly eroding away ... much to the chagrin of just about everyone.
    As it exists now, decent gold farmers already get all the gear, mounts, titles and achievements they want because they can just buy their way to them all with their gold. The BMAH route is - in comparison - not only just a drop in the bucket compared to what goes on now, it's also a horrible value for anyone looking to trade gold for gear.

Greg: "This BMAH is so much fun in Beta ... these raiders are so up tight ..."
    Tom: "I was sure they would get the joke when you put Ashes of Al'ar on ..."
    Greg: "Yea they just sucked it up ... ok I'm going to have to troll them with Heroic Raid gear"
    Tom: "And if the don't get it then?"
    Greg: "Server first titles ..."

Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    Or perhaps TCG items?
    Genius!

Great show, Lore - keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Lrot View Post
    This bit of the Queen's English is derived from the French verb "asuager".
    Which in turn is derived from the latin "ad suavis".

'cause knowledge is power!

Quote Originally Posted by Focii View Post
    Greg: "This BMAH is so much fun in Beta ... these raiders are so up tight ..."
    Tom: "I was sure they would get the joke when you put Ashes of Al'ar on ..."
    Greg: "Yea they just sucked it up ... ok I'm going to have to troll them with Heroic Raid gear"
    Tom: "And if the don't get it then?"
    Greg: "Server first titles ..."
    I lol'd. 10/10

Can't wait to buy my Black Scarab mount from the BMAH.

One thing to asswage (yes, i'm going to use that word in that way from now on, thanks Focii), the fears about heroic raiding gear showing up is we don't yet know the frequency of it showing up on the BMAH. If one piece of random heroic gear shows up per month and a tier lasts 4-5 months, thats 4-5 pieces...oh and maybe its a generic enough piece that its say good for rogues, enh shaman, and hunters (think agi cloak or something). So 4-5 people got lucky and got an upgrade piece across the entire tier, whoopee!

Its the same kind of concept as hitting the loot pinata that is BH now and getting lucky. Hell yeah I was jazzed to get a piece of normal mode tier from a faceroll boss, but it happened so infrequently that I never thought of BH as a progression path to kit out my character.

From my perspective I am only interested in gold sinks to restrain inflation.

I think like it or not that selling good PVE gear will be the most effective in terms of extracting and destroying the maximum amount of gold from the economy over an extended period of time. Sure rare mounts are attractive but I feel PVE gear has a wider appeal and unlike a mount it isn't a one-time purchase item; players are forced to shard it and buy another during the next tier.

That being said I am not prepared to fight for or defend this action as I don't want the gear.

I am however all ears if someone has a more effective but fair way of extracting large quantities of gold. Perhaps suggesting more effective gold sinks would carry more weight with Blizzard than simply complaining about "prestige" or the victimisation of raiders.

As a multi millionaire I wouldn't buy gear or mounts. However as someone that detests the "collect 10 flowers" levelling game I'd gladly drop 100k for each of my toons to skip them straight to level 90 (main professions/rep excluded) and perhaps also another 20k a piece for the secondary professions on top. As well as the 100k + 60k that would be extracted we also prevent a huge amount of quest reward gold from entering the system so it could result in a sink of 200k per toon.

Why don't Blizzard do that instead of screwing raiders by putting HC gear on the BMAH? Perhaps they have weighed up which option would lead to the largest QQ?

Truth is whatever method they use to extract gold, giving players something desirable in return for gold is going to cause whining from someone else.

MMORPGs are about killing bosses with your friends (or, if you're a PvPer, about killing other groups of people with your friends). If you've acquired the gear, but don't do the thing...you've done nothing...missed the point, really. Gear is a means to that end, not the end.

So...I'm at a loss why anyone actually cares.

So Jimmy McMoneybags bought a piece of heroic loot. And? Why is this a problem?

Does Jimmy's purchase somehow cheapen your boss kill or arena/rbg rating?

Now, if they have infinite sets of gear up there for purchase day one and the team that has the most money wins server first because they bought out all the gear first...well that's a different matter. I don't think we're in any danger of that, however.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravy
    Any plan that doesn't call for the end of the world or the extinction of the human race isn't a good plan

It seems fairly obvious that the RMAH is designed to pull gold out of the economy. To do this Blizzard is probably looking at getting at both the individual player and guild banks. Mounts, pets, transmog gear and the like are aimed at individuals, gear is more likely aimed at guilds and they are probably thinking that raiding guilds would used bank funds to purchase gear for their raid progression.

I'm just not sure it will really work as intended. I don't think most gold capped players are looking at spending gold, they are just addicted to the process of AH control and making gold. I'm not sure how much the RMAH will cut into these players stashes and even if it does it won't likely affect the economy on the whole. If a gold horder drops 999k on an item, their first order of business will be to make that gold back and through AH control, they will keep the prices high. As for selling Heroic raid gear, it's just a bad idea unless they embrace Mashone's suggestion and at least force you to have killed the corresponding boss at the corresponding difficulty level in order to wear said gear.

I do think there is a real problem with RNG and loot (especially in 10 man) with the current drop model of one piece of tier and one piece of other loot on most DS bosses. My raid (having killed Utraxion on normal or heroic every week of 4.3 has yet to see a Creche). That is a problem. So if there were a way to purchase that one elusive item, I'd be cool with that, but I think they could find a better way to do it. Something along the lines of if you've killed a boss 10+ times, a vendor opens up with that bosses loot table and you can by individual (non-tier) pieces for 30k, would seem to me to be a better option. Once you've killed heroic 10+ times then those items become available too. I'm fine paying a lot of gold for them, but it would eliminate some of the RNG frustration

The fact that BMAH is in a pvp flagged area just makes me happy.
    [Today 06:48 PM] Ion:swimming in a natural body of water ISN'T acceptable...it's momentarily tolerable

+ Reply to Thread